How is the phone signal in Swansea (best mobile phone provider)

Watch
Awele18
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'll be going to Swansea in September and living in HSV while studying at singleton but I was just wondering how the phone signal and which network I should go for.

Also how is the wifi (at HSV) and are we allow to bring our own broadband if we wanted to
AndyVA
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi @Awele18,

Andrew here from the Students' Union at Swansea!

Wireless coverage as HSV should be fine for you. It's provided by the university's IT department, and acts as an extension of the main university network that you'll find on campus (so you can access internal university services, and restricted journals, from the comfort of HSV)

You'll connect to "eduroam" using your student email address and password. Make sure to join "SwanseaUni-setup" first and register each device you'd like to use on eduroam, or you won't be able to access the internet when you connect to eduroam.

If you have any trouble with this, you can call 85500 from most halls of residence phones, 01792295500 from a mobile or other landline, or visit the library customer service desk on the Singleton park or bay campus, where a university it technician will be happy to assist you.

If you're thinking of setting up your own wireless network, please be aware that it is forbidden to create your own wireless network that extends the university's network. If you have a games console or another old device that will not support eduroam, then you may be eligible to register the device onto a network called "swis-lite". To learn more about this, head over to the library customer service desk. If you want to create your own hotspot using 3G/4G etc mobile data, then this is fine. As long as it doesn't interface with the university network, then you're not compromising the integrity of our network.

As for phone signal, I've been with Three in my past 3 years of living here, and had no trouble.

Indoor coverage on both campuses is quite limited, but that's the same for most networks, so it's tricky to avoid!

If you have an iPhone 6 or newer, or another supported phone, you might be able to enable WiFi calling, which lets you use eduroam or another WiFi network to connect to your mobile phone provider and place calls/text people as if you were connected to a cell tower. Just be careful because this can drain your battery faster than usual, so I'd only switch it on if you need to use it.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

I can advise on freshers events, societies; most things!

Best,
Andrew
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (485)
33.49%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (599)
41.37%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (298)
20.58%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (66)
4.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed