beckybbexx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am an American student wanting to study in the UK. The information I have about these universities have all been found online as I do not live in the UK and cannot visit these universities.

For my 5 choices I have picked:
King's College London
University of Manchester
University of Kent
Royal Holloway, University of London
University of Edinburgh

I have not turned in my application yet as I am still unsure about my university choices! I am conflicted about the Edinburgh choice as I would prefer to study in England. But, it is a great university and I meet their entry requirements! Can anyone give me more info on these universities (personal opinion)? Just in terms of environment, student life, academia, etc. Thanks!
username2300427
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Royal Holloway is a **** university, even Kent isn't that great. Edinburgh/kings are equivalent to duke/ucla/a lot of ivy league. Manchester is equivalent to small ivy leagues/chapel hill.

If you want London, look at imperial/ucl/lse, all great universities
username2789280
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by singhaman)
Royal Holloway is a **** university, even Kent isn't that great. Edinburgh/kings are equivalent to duke/ucla/a lot of ivy league. Manchester is equivalent to small ivy leagues/chapel hill.

If you want London, look at imperial/ucl/lse, all great universities
Boring. Person reads a rankings table and considers themselves The Great Assessor of worldwide university quality. Welcome to TSR, I guess.

Royal Holloway and Kent are both good universities, and I'm also assuming that the OP has chosen them (and not Imperial, UCL, LSE) for a reason - for example, the subject she's looking to study.

OP - need a bit more information. What do you want to study? What are your particular interests within that field? What are you looking for in a university experience?
beckybbexx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I want to study International Relations and Politics! I'm quite determined to get into KCL as I liked their program for this course the most! They offer modules in intelligence and military strategy as part of the program, which I have not seen in many of the other U.K. universities. I also love how the university is in central London. Although, from what I have read the school is highly competitive so I'm looking at other universities as well.

What am I looking for in a university experience? The uni I went to in the States was in a small city and the nightlife wasn't the best but the students/school spirit made my time there amazing! Football season was the best time of the year. So I guess the teaching quality pertaining to my degree program and the student community would be most important for me! (and decent nightlife wouldn't be so bad)
(Original post by worldender)
Boring. Person reads a rankings table and considers themselves The Great Assessor of worldwide university quality. Welcome to TSR, I guess.

Royal Holloway and Kent are both good universities, and I'm also assuming that the OP has chosen them (and not Imperial, UCL, LSE) for a reason - for example, the subject she's looking to study.

OP - need a bit more information. What do you want to study? What are your particular interests within that field? What are you looking for in a university experience?
username2300427
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i studied at chapel hill last year. let me tell you that no university in UK has that sort of school spirit from what i have gathered, maybe oxbridge. we just arent that big on school rivalries. worldender OP asked for personal opinions, i gave them mine, no need for personal attacks. yes, i do look at rankings because unfortunately i dont have the time to go around every university in country personally judging them, and from what i gather majority of the people dont. if you want to talk to experts, then i believe they already made their positions clear by making the league tables.
username2789280
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by singhaman)
if you want to talk to experts, then i believe they already made their positions clear by making the league tables.
I don't think you understand how league tables are compiled.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (33)
7.37%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (264)
58.93%
No (151)
33.71%

Watched Threads