The Student Room Group

Dropping out of University this late

I've just finished my first year at university and managed to pass with a low 2:1. I never really wanted to do the course, but loved the university. On results day, I didn't get on to the Course I wanted but another school in the university I registered interest in contacted me and took me in. (Which I am extremely grateful for)

After a few months, it became apparent that taking a course with few career opportunities that was completely different to the course I was originally taking (they honestly couldn't be more different) was a massive mistake, and that I should've taken the year (this year just gone) out to resit a couple of A levels to get on to my desired course.

(Bit of back story)
I've suffered with my mental and physical health massively over the years and doing this course has made it so much worse. I had an eating disorder when I was 14 and spent a year in hospital being treated. Following this, I developed severe depression and anxiety and took a couple of attempts on my life. All of these issues where severe till I was 16/17 and my medication stabilised me - however I had to deal with the awful physical side effects from the conditions (heart and bone issues from the AN, palpitations, fainting, migraines) I still managed to achieve good GCSES (A/B's) and AS levels (AABC) despite this.
I was then violently assaulted after AS and had to change to a neighbouring sixth form. The move alongside the mental consequences of the assault (which the police didn't care about, causing me to lose so many friends) made my eating disorder relapse and negatively impacted my A levels which I was predicted A/A*s in (BBBB). I know these arent bad grades but when I think about how well I could've done I want to drop off the face of the earth. I feel like bad things always happen to me & my life's just been full of negative events so what's the point of continuing.

Fast forward to my first year of university. My mental health stabilised again, however I contracted meningitis and a nasty infection in my liver which left me in hospital for nearly a month. I missed a lot of university, however they where understanding and helped me out (cannot emphasise how much I love this university). I gained a bit of weight from this, causing another AN and depression relapse. Whilst I made loads of friends, made a couple of sports teams, and enjoyed the social life the best I could - the course made me miserable. It's a "Mickey mouse" subject and tbh looking at threads on here about it is making me feel so much worse, it's like my anxiety is in overdrive. I'm not suited to the course, and despite the fact it's incredibly hard I just know after graduation people will see the name and assume it's ****. It doesn't help that I don't enjoy it either. I want to study something analytical and language based like law or humanities, that's what I'm good at. (The university requires ABB+ in these subjects) (I even resat 2 of my a levels to try and get an A but stupid me was 1 mark off in both subjects) my only choices really are to complete a subject I hate, go to one of the polytechnics in the city or beg subject leaders lol.

This summer, the anorexia has majorly come back and this is the first time I've been able to really admit it. I count calories obsessively, exercise till I'm in a massive calorie deficit, stare in the mirror at my disgusting body, weigh myself..... the fact I feel so useless doesn't help. I've honestly considered ending it all a few times - nothing is positive in my life it feels.

Here are my main concerns:
1) If I decide not to carry on the course and essentially take a "mental health" year, would SFE only cover the first year I've actually completed? So if I wanted to come back I could do a whole 3 year degree?
2) at what point do I need to withdraw student finance if I do choose to leave the university?
3) I have a house under contract at the university with some friends, if I'm hospitalised or drop out of university would my parents have to pay the rent?
4) Is it possible to sit year 2 of this course, &. sit a fast track A level in a subject I know I'm good at to get an A OR appeal some of the A level results with evidence of my mental health decline during the resits, then transfer to a course I want & submit CPR to try and get 2nd year debt written off?
5) Is it worth emailing a business and law tutor who helped me write my pre university assignment to see what they'd advise? Or would this be unprofessional/annoying? I had a good relationship with them and they genuinely seemed upset on results day that I didn't get in their school.
6) can you actually take a "year out" of university?
in terms of my house, do you think it's possible for me to work full time to pay rent (the landlords where I live don't give a **** about physical/mental health reasons affecting rent) and do a fast track a level in that time

Thank you!

(Edit: an only issue with evidence for the eating disorder is that whilst I exhibit the behaviours my BMI at university Y1 and during my A2 resits was around 19, so was technically healthy but id lost a considerable amount of weight - around 3-4 stone in a couple of months. So I have the diagnosis still but obviously my weight wasn't in the danger zone At that time. This isn't an issue with the depressions nd anxiety)
Definitley talk with your university student services department , and your doctor, for advice. Sounds like you're having a really rough time and need advice from professionals about what to do.
From what you've said, I think you'd qualify for compelling personal reasons from sfe as you have a few mental and physical health issues - just make sure you see your dr for evidence!
Reply 2
On top of all that, I was in a car accident over Easter which caused a family fatality. Even though it wasn't my fault, I'll always feel a degree of guilt that it wasn't me who got hurt
Original post by Anonymous
I've just finished my first year at university and managed to pass with a low 2:1. I never really wanted to do the course, but loved the university. On results day, I didn't get on to the Course I wanted but another school in the university I registered interest in contacted me and took me in. (Which I am extremely grateful for)

After a few months, it became apparent that taking a course with few career opportunities that was completely different to the course I was originally taking (they honestly couldn't be more different) was a massive mistake, and that I should've taken the year (this year just gone) out to resit a couple of A levels to get on to my desired course.

(Bit of back story)
I've suffered with my mental and physical health massively over the years and doing this course has made it so much worse. I had an eating disorder when I was 14 and spent a year in hospital being treated. Following this, I developed severe depression and anxiety and took a couple of attempts on my life. All of these issues where severe till I was 16/17 and my medication stabilised me - however I had to deal with the awful physical side effects from the conditions (heart and bone issues from the AN, palpitations, fainting, migraines) I still managed to achieve good GCSES (A/B's) and AS levels (AABC) despite this.
I was then violently assaulted after AS and had to change to a neighbouring sixth form. The move alongside the mental consequences of the assault (which the police didn't care about, causing me to lose so many friends) made my eating disorder relapse and negatively impacted my A levels which I was predicted A/A*s in (BBBB). I know these arent bad grades but when I think about how well I could've done I want to drop off the face of the earth. I feel like bad things always happen to me & my life's just been full of negative events so what's the point of continuing.

Fast forward to my first year of university. My mental health stabilised again, however I contracted meningitis and a nasty infection in my liver which left me in hospital for nearly a month. I missed a lot of university, however they where understanding and helped me out (cannot emphasise how much I love this university). I gained a bit of weight from this, causing another AN and depression relapse. Whilst I made loads of friends, made a couple of sports teams, and enjoyed the social life the best I could - the course made me miserable. It's a "Mickey mouse" subject and tbh looking at threads on here about it is making me feel so much worse, it's like my anxiety is in overdrive. I'm not suited to the course, and despite the fact it's incredibly hard I just know after graduation people will see the name and assume it's ****. It doesn't help that I don't enjoy it either. I want to study something analytical and language based like law or humanities, that's what I'm good at. (The university requires ABB+ in these subjects) (I even resat 2 of my a levels to try and get an A but stupid me was 1 mark off in both subjects) my only choices really are to complete a subject I hate, go to one of the polytechnics in the city or beg subject leaders lol.

This summer, the anorexia has majorly come back and this is the first time I've been able to really admit it. I count calories obsessively, exercise till I'm in a massive calorie deficit, stare in the mirror at my disgusting body, weigh myself..... the fact I feel so useless doesn't help. I've honestly considered ending it all a few times - nothing is positive in my life it feels.

Here are my main concerns:
1) If I decide not to carry on the course and essentially take a "mental health" year, would SFE only cover the first year I've actually completed? So if I wanted to come back I could do a whole 3 year degree?
2) at what point do I need to withdraw student finance if I do choose to leave the university?
3) I have a house under contract at the university with some friends, if I'm hospitalised or drop out of university would my parents have to pay the rent?
4) Is it possible to sit year 2 of this course, &. sit a fast track A level in a subject I know I'm good at to get an A OR appeal some of the A level results with evidence of my mental health decline during the resits, then transfer to a course I want & submit CPR to try and get 2nd year debt written off?
5) Is it worth emailing a business and law tutor who helped me write my pre university assignment to see what they'd advise? Or would this be unprofessional/annoying? I had a good relationship with them and they genuinely seemed upset on results day that I didn't get in their school.
in terms of my house, do you think it's possible for me to work full time to pay rent (the landlords where I live don't give a **** about physical/mental health reasons affecting rent) and do a fast track a level in that time

Thank you!

(Edit: an only issue with evidence for the eating disorder is that whilst I exhibit the behaviours my BMI at university Y1 and during my A2 resits was around 19, so was technically healthy but id lost a considerable amount of weight - around 3-4 stone in a couple of months. So I have the diagnosis still but obviously my weight wasn't in the danger zone At that time. This isn't an issue with the depressions nd anxiety)

Hilarious it just crashed and I lost the whole answer.. Unbelievable.

I read this this morning but was on my way out. managed to find it again. Wow youve been through a lot and have a lot still to contend with, but need t put that aside for the moment and at least you had the good sense to ask clear questions.

SFE will fund your degree length +1 gift year. Now you could use this first year as your gift year and still have finance for a fresh full degree.

WARNING If you enroll on your course this year and start for just a day that will activate student finance and make your funding move to degree -1. That means should you change again you would have to find the £9000 fees for your first year.

IMO do not enroll and either defer or withdraw to keep your student finance intact.

Furthermore the withdrawal or the referral i would use medical grounds as your explanation be it your anorexia, depression or any of your other problems.

The Uni will have a withdrawal procedure. Withdraw asap and notify both the uni and SFE. The important thing is not to activate this years student finance. The procedure will be on the website.

Depending on whether the contract is with the uni or a private landlord, then the procedure may vary. As its second year I will assume private LL in which case you need to read the tenancy. Almost certainly you are responsible for the rent and your parents as guarantors.

The way out is finding a replacement which the LL and your friends find acceptable. Do it now whilst there are freshers and students from clearing still looking. Offer a discount if needed to offload the contract. Time is of the essence.

Thats a very long winded way round things. yes its possible. The last date for remarks is 21 September. The deadline for special consideration is normally ten working days after its been sat, but they have discretion. I think it would be too late for special consideration but you could ask. You should have applied at the time.

Its so close I would chase it up. had you posted here, then I would have told you to put your claim in and have saved a number of other tsr students that way.

Imo yes. the thing I would want to find out is on what basis they would take you.

Yes you just suspend studies, but you need to follow the procedure and get permission from your department.

7) in terms of my house, do you think it's possible for me to work full time to pay rent (the landlords where I live don't give a **** about physical/mental health reasons affecting rent) and do a fast track a level in that time

Yes that would be possible, but your mental and physical health dont appear to be there?

Advice
I think we see things differently. If it were me I would:

You dont state the exam board, but I would consider an appeal. The deadline for special consideration was back in July, but different exam boards have their own rules. As its only 1 mark, then contact them and see if there is any discretion at all. I have seen where there is, but its a very remote chance, but you have nothing to lose. If they will take it into consideration then theres a good chance you would get the 1 mark you needed. If you post the exam board I can have a look, but really you should ring them. Its a shame you didnt apply at the time.

Contact the tutor an see in what basis they would accept me.

Suspend studies asap and without starting year 2. Point out the anorexia and contact student welfare so they can vouch for you. Also your tutor.

Find replacement for house.

Go home and do the A level.

Pass and then notify the uni and see if they will take you. You can then leave your original course.

You shouldnt start uni again until you get your MH issues resolved and absolutely under control including the anorexia. Your health and wellbeing are more important than uni. If you redo the A level, then without too much pressure dont fail. Would you have considered the course with a foundation year? that might have been a better choice.

Thats as much as i can think of. Theres the whole mental health anorexia stuff, but leave that for another time. Take care.
(edited 6 years ago)
On top of all that, I was in a car accident over Easter which caused a family fatality. Even though it wasn't my fault, I'll always feel a degree of guilt that it wasn't me who got hurt

This would have been enough.
Please tell me the exam board.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger

Thank you for all your help you've been incredibly helpful! I've managed to get myself out of bed today and get on top of things - I'm in contact with the exam board regarding special consideration and appeals, I'm in contact with uni and student support about deferring or course transfer and have been bugging my GP for them to get my appointment with a psychiatrist finalised.
Unfortunatly the business and law tutor quit just before summer, but they have the records of me in their system and seem to remember me so that's a good sign.
If I can get my mental health relatively stabilised I'm hoping to live in the uni house, defer the year & work / transfer course.
Reply 7

AQA
Thank you for all your help you've been incredibly helpful! I've managed to get myself out of bed today and get on top of things - I'm in contact with the exam board regarding special consideration and appeals, I'm in contact with uni and student support about deferring or course transfer and have been bugging my GP for them to get my appointment with a psychiatrist finalised.
Unfortunatly the business and law tutor quit just before summer, but they have the records of me in their system and seem to remember me so that's a good sign.
If I can get my mental health relatively stabilised I'm hoping to live in the uni house, defer the year & work / transfer course.

So the last date for SC is 29 July. By my reckoning you are too late for SC and you dont really have grounds for an appeal. You need to see if they have discretion for SC as some boards reserve that right for themselves. i wish youd asked here after your exam.

It doesnt help that you taught yourself. The more 3rd parties you can get involved the better. That gives it credibility. Maybe your old school will be prepared to contact them on your behalf?

Either they have the discretion above and beyond the published rules or they do not.

If they do then your task is to get them to exercise it. I think it would be positive for you, but as it stands you are outside the deadline and you have no grounds for appeal on the remark.

In the event progress was made and an option to switch courses came up then you really must get your MH dealt with and the degree can wait. You arent well and that has to get priority. Just try not to delude yourself as to how well you are or are not, its about more than the degree.

Let me know how it goes or if theres anything else you arent sure of.

Take care.
Reply 9
So the last date for SC is 29 July. By my reckoning you are too late for SC and you dont really have grounds for an appeal. You need to see if they have discretion for SC as some boards reserve that right for themselves. i wish youd asked here after your exam.

It doesnt help that you taught yourself. The more 3rd parties you can get involved the better. That gives it credibility. Maybe your old school will be prepared to contact them on your behalf?

Either they have the discretion above and beyond the published rules or they do not.

If they do then your task is to get them to exercise it. I think it would be positive for you, but as it stands you are outside the deadline and you have no grounds for appeal on the remark.

In the event progress was made and an option to switch courses came up then you really must get your MH dealt with and the degree can wait. You arent well and that has to get priority. Just try not to delude yourself as to how well you are or are not, its about more than the degree.

Let me know how it goes or if theres anything else you arent sure of.

Take care.

I didn't self teach the first time I took the exam - I was at college and they assured me that as I had many issues going on (school transfer, police investigations - inwas a victim as well as mental and physical health reasons) that theyd put through special consideration for me. Yet they didn't which isn't my fault - I didn't find out till results day they didn't.
When I resat I self taught. The old school is **** enough that they didn't put through my special consideration the first time so not sure bowmuch help they'll be - however I did sit me resit there.
I didn't self teach the first time I took the exam - I was at college and they assured me that as I had many issues going on (school transfer, police investigations - inwas a victim as well as mental and physical health reasons) that theyd put through special consideration for me. Yet they didn't which isn't my fault - I didn't find out till results day they didn't.
When I resat I self taught. The old school is **** enough that they didn't put through my special consideration the first time so not sure bowmuch help they'll be - however I did sit me resit there.

Fair enough you can make that comment to them in any appeal.
Try and talk to the person in charge of appeals and see if you can get them to use any discretion. Throw everything at it with supporting evidence.

The problems as i said on the face of it the deadline passe ages ago and the rounds of appeal are not relevant.

Quick Reply

Latest