Australian court hears challenges to same-sex marriage vote

Watch
Ninja Squirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-41156949

Australia's highest court has begun hearing legal challenges against a national vote on same-sex marriage.

The government plans to hold a non-binding postal survey from next week to gauge support for changing Australia's law to allow same-sex marriage. PM Malcolm Turnbull has said the vote could lead to the tabling of a bill in parliament later this year.

Intense campaigning has already begun, but the survey will not go ahead if the legal challenges are successful. Two separate challenges by same-sex marriage advocates will be heard in the High Court of Australia on Tuesday and Wednesday.
BlinkyBill
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Command&Conquer)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-41156949

Australia's highest court has begun hearing legal challenges against a national vote on same-sex marriage.

The government plans to hold a non-binding postal survey from next week to gauge support for changing Australia's law to allow same-sex marriage. PM Malcolm Turnbull has said the vote could lead to the tabling of a bill in parliament later this year.

Intense campaigning has already begun, but the survey will not go ahead if the legal challenges are successful. Two separate challenges by same-sex marriage advocates will be heard in the High Court of Australia on Tuesday and Wednesday.
I can't even describe how upset I am by the public opinion-poll the Australian government are forcing regarding same sex marriage. It's $122m that should be going to healthcare or education, being spent on a non-binding poll, which has no legal standing and is incredibly damaging to the LGBTQ+ community. When Australia gave women the vote or abolished the White Australia policy, there was no public poll needed for those decisions, because they were intrinsically derogatory laws that should never have existed. It's the same situation here - the government are failing by allowing this to even be a debate. Just pass the law.

Aside from which, the 'voting' process is incredibly flawed. As an Australian living overseas, information about how to participate in the poll was released one hour before registrations closed (and in the middle of the night, UK time). Meaning many Aussies are missing out on being able to vote.

It makes me sad that the high court challenge has to be on the basis of funding (it's a human rights issue, in my opinion), but I hope this poll is stopped. It's done too much damage already.
Ninja Squirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by BlinkyBill)
I can't even describe how upset I am by the public opinion-poll the Australian government are forcing regarding same sex marriage. It's $122m that should be going to healthcare or education, being spent on a non-binding poll, which has no legal standing and is incredibly damaging to the LGBTQ+ community. When Australia gave women the vote or abolished the White Australia policy, there was no public poll needed for those decisions, because they were intrinsically derogatory laws that should never have existed. It's the same situation here - the government are failing by allowing this to even be a debate. Just pass the law.

Aside from which, the 'voting' process is incredibly flawed. As an Australian living overseas, information about how to participate in the poll was released one hour before registrations closed (and in the middle of the night, UK time). Meaning many Aussies are missing out on being able to vote.

It makes me sad that the high court challenge has to be on the basis of funding (it's a human rights issue, in my opinion), but I hope this poll is stopped. It's done too much damage already.
I completely agree, it's just a pure waste of money. Why should one persons human right rest on the fate of what someone else thinks?

It's suggested that the majority of Australians support same sex marriage anyway, as you said they should just pass the bill and focus their money and resources on real issues.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Australian politics is just weird.
BlinkyBill
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Command&Conquer)
I completely agree, it's just a pure waste of money. Why should one persons human right rest on the fate of what someone else thinks?

It's suggested that the majority of Australians support same sex marriage anyway, as you said they should just pass the bill and focus their money and resources on real issues.
You're totally right.

I love Australia. I'm proud that it's my home country, but the way the government is handling this makes me so ashamed. It makes Australia seem like a very discriminatory place. In my experience, it's no better or worse than the UK (for example), but behaviour like this from our government makes us seem like a pretty horrible bunch.

(Original post by Drewski)
Australian politics is just weird.
Hahaha. It's the Westminster system, just like the UK! Although there are some differences in processes (eg. we have the House of Representatives, not the House of Lords).

However, if you're referring to our politicians (and weird decisions like the same-sex marriage vote) - then yes. Very weird.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (26)
5.7%
Uncertainty around my education (52)
11.4%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (55)
12.06%
Lack of purpose or motivation (59)
12.94%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (24)
5.26%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (20)
4.39%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (46)
10.09%
Financial worries (28)
6.14%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (19)
4.17%
Exposure to negative news/social media (30)
6.58%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (14)
3.07%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (45)
9.87%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (38)
8.33%

Watched Threads