[UK] Four neo-nazi soldiers in the British Army arrested on suspicion of terrorism. Watch

Ninja Squirrel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41161233

Alleged members of a banned neo-Nazi group arrested on suspicion of preparing acts of terror are serving members of the Army, the Ministry of Defence has said.

The men are a 22-year-old from Birmingham, a 32-year-old from Powys, a 24-year-old from Ipswich and a 24-year-old from Northampton. West Midlands Police is holding them on suspicion of being members of British far-right group, National Action.

All four are being held at a police station in the West Midlands.
Police said the arrests had been pre-planned and intelligence-led, and there had been no threat to the public's safety. The men are being held on suspicion of being concerned in the commission, preparation and instigation of acts of terrorism under Section 41 of the Terrorism Act 2000; namely on suspicion of being members of a proscribed organisation.

And here I was thinking this backwards crap was over for the UK :rolleyes:
0zzu
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
65 million people

And you were thinking that none of them would be into "backwards crap"?
DetectivePeralta
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So they are neo-Nazis but they are fighting for the country who destroyed the Nazis 72 years ago, smart
jambojim97
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ironic considering they're constantly moaning about JEWISH infiltration of public institutions.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Meh. I wonder if the reason this is reported but similar islamists arrests aren't is because:
1) the latter is so common it isn't news
2) the police are too **** to manage the latter
3) some agenda to distort reality in reporting
4) all of the above

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ninja Squirrel
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Meh. I wonder if the reason this is reported but similar islamists arrests aren't is because:
4) all of the above

Posted from TSR Mobile
Islamic terrorism is reported all the time, it's just so frequent that we've become kinda numb to it.

This story however is very uncommon so it's not surprising it was picked up quickly, besides it's pretty worrying that we may have members in our armed forces sympathetic to these groups.
MrDystopia
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Imagine being part of an institution that helped play a part in destroying the vulgar/warped political views you hold.

Embarrassing.
username1221160
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)

4) all of the above

Posted from TSR Mobile
Or the Armed Forces link gives it an added twist.

The last solider arrested over terrorist offences turned out to be a one man bomb factory who could have done or still could do (as it is believed all his explosives have not been recovered) a lot of damage.
AnimalJamRocks
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They won't be called terrorists buy some people as they are not Muslim. Sad, really.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Command&Conquer)
besides it's pretty worrying that we may have members in our armed forces sympathetic to these groups.
200,000 people in the armed forces, not inconceivable that it reflects the society that provides it.
generallee
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The editorial values of the MSM are very telling, very illustrative of the bubble they live in. I didn't watch Sky, but this story led the early evening news bulletins on the BBC, ITN and C4.

It is certainly a story of public concern, admittedly they are only members of a proscribed organisation and weren't planning an actual attack according to the security briefings, but as soldiers they have access to weapons and explosives.

But with the world watching the stand off with North Korea, the first day back at Westminster to discuss the most important foreign policy issue of our generation, a massive humanitarian crisis in Myanmar, and the biggest tornado ever recorded approaching the Caribbean it should have merited a brief description of the arrests, half way though the bulletin, to properly reflect the importance here, rather than distort it. .

But no, instead we got anguished analysis from hard left academics at second and third tier universities (is there even one in Northampton?) and reporters outside some vaguely connected building in Birmingham, wringing their hands.

Why? What purpose is served by aggrandising a tiny, lunatic fringe of perhaps a few score people? Do they want to increase tension and social conflict? Heaven knows, frankly. The nearest I can get to an explanation is that they really think there is a significant terrorist danger from the far right, and that they feel it is comparable to Islamism. They must think that to give such a small story, such prominence.

We are not in a great place in western Europe. There IS a danger of inter ethnic and political conflict, that much is true. But the MSM make things worse, not better. .
the beer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Drewski)
200,000 people in the armed forces, not inconceivable that it reflects the society that provides it.
You believe National Action are a lot bigger than we thought then?
the beer
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by generallee)
and the biggest tornado ever recorded approaching the Caribbean
It's a hurricane mate, what you playing at?
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by the beer)
You believe National Action are a lot bigger than we thought then?
No, and I don't know how you came to that conclusion from what I wrote.

Why? What purpose is served by aggrandising a tiny, lunatic fringe of perhaps a few score people? Do they want to increase tension and social conflict? Heaven knows, frankly. The nearest I can get to an explanation is that they really think there is a significant terrorist danger from the far right, and that they feel it is comparable to Islamism. They must think that to give such a small story, such prominence.
When the story is closer to the people taking in that form of media, it is more important to them. End of story.

No conspiracy. If anything, you're overthinking it drastically.
the beer
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No, and I don't know how you came to that conclusion from what I wrote.
If 4 out of 200000 reflects the society that provides it then shouldn't we have far more than the estimated 100 or so members of National Action?
Alive97
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
what a joke and embarrassment they are
generallee
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by the beer)
It's a hurricane mate, what you playing at?
I never know the difference.

Hurricanes in the Western Hemisphere, Tornadoes in the Eastern, what's all that about?
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Religion of peace.

(Original post by MrDystopia)
Imagine being part of an institution that helped play a part in destroying the vulgar/warped political views you hold.

Embarrassing.
This is the same institution that played a big part in colonisation which had a big dollop of European/white racial supremacy component to it.
generallee
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

When the story is closer to the people taking in that form of media, it is more important to them. End of story.

No conspiracy. If anything, you're overthinking it drastically.
No it is closer to the people who make the editorial decisions. TV broadcast news is all about the people producing it, not those "taking in that media."

I don't think there is a conspiracy, just that they live in a little bubble, and all see the world in the same narrow way.
the beer
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I never know the difference.

Hurricanes in the Western Hemisphere, Tornadoes in the Eastern, what's all that about?
Nah, that's a typhoon, you clearly haven't been paying attention.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (42)
13.73%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (26)
8.5%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (61)
19.93%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (44)
14.38%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (36)
11.76%
How can I be the best version of myself? (97)
31.7%

Watched Threads