"Artist" provokes backlash after mocking working class men Watch

This discussion is closed.
Wōden
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
http://metro.co.uk/2017/09/05/artist...-gcse-6904234/

An artist took a photo shaming four workmen queuing up for McDonald’s, captioned ‘They look like they got 1 GCSE’.

Hetty Douglas shared it to her story after taking it on a mobile phone camera.

The men appeared to be construction workers, wearing boots and a dark blue uniform with one in a high-vis jacket.

But it didn’t go down well, with people accusing her of being a ‘spoiled rich girl’ who ‘wouldn’t last two minutes in the shoes of a tradesman’.

She took down her Instagram account, which had 15,000 followers, amid the backlash after photographer Rhi Harper shared the photo on Twitter.

Here are just a few examples of Hetty Douglas' masterpieces.

Name:  hetty_6_dmfnux.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  239.2 KB

Ironic really. Those lads she is mocking can probably build and repair anything. They are infinitely more useful and valuable to society than her and her sh*t tier "art" that literally any toddler could produce.
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Before you criticise someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away from them, and you'll also have their shoes.
Cubone-r
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Wōden)

Ironic really. Those lads she is mocking can probably build and repair anything. They are infinitely more useful and valuable to society than her and her sh*t tier "art" that literally any toddler could produce.
I'd love to see this "artist" work full time as a labourer, joiner, or carpenter.
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Contemporary art is a joke, the only talent today is convincing people that your "art" is worth paying ludicrous sums of money for.
AmeliaLost
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What a pretentious %$&* There's a reason it's called skilled labour. People like this wind me the hell up.
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hetty Douglas’s website says that her art ‘makes work that represents both the light and dark that comes with simply existing.
(Original post by Wōden)
.....riiiiiight
math42
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
.....riiiiiight
I did some similar work playing with paint at age four. Perhaps I can make a living off it.
Vikingninja
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
An artist is mocking people about low grades? Should do some actual work that contributes to society, my painting in table top models when I was 14 probably involved more effort than her art.
Lord of the Lake
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Her art is beyond shite. She really isn't in a position to mock anyone else's job when those are the extent of her 'masterpieces' lmao :rofl:
Otta
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Name:  Smile!.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  89.1 KB

Thought the image was rather endearing actually

On the serious side of things whilst what she said was insensitive and ignorant, the friendship group she is a part of probably jokes about this sort of thing often, hence the warped sense of 'humour'. It doesn't make her a bad person or that her art automatically requires no skill, just stupid for putting the comments on the internet.
username2763536
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
To be fair she was right.Apparently they didn't have any.
Iridocyclitis
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
And I wonder if she's a Labour voter, i.e. the party supposed to protect the working class...
Iridocyclitis
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Robby2312)
To be fair she was right.Apparently they didn't have any.
So? It's stating something that could well be correct, i.e. they are Labourers so they probably don't have loads of academic qualifications, but in an insulting and demeaning way.
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
http://www.hettydouglas.com/bio

HettyDouglas makes work that representsboth the light and dark that comes with simply existing. Douglas simultaneouslyconveys, subverts and celebrates the complexities of trust, sexual boundaries,and the labyrinth of unspoken intimacies of masculine/feminine truths.
Theflippant and challenging textual content of this work is a deeply personalresponse to past and present relationships. It is obscure and hidden, and thusserves its unintentional purpose - to provoke an exploration of sincereemotions.
Underneaththe tantalising layers of Douglas’s work lies a clear pursuit for something that truly matters - astable place and a true identity in a world that can happily chew you up, spityou out and not think twice about it.
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What was the context? I imagine that most of us don't think of "ha he didn't do well in his GCSEs" every time we have a plumber around, much less share it online. Plain odd, really.
Plagioclase
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Wōden)

Your thread would have been more effective if you hadn't been totally hypocritical and done exactly what you're accusing her of doing by insulting her life and art.
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm sure the 15k followers on insta make her much more intelligent and superior to those guys...*Sarcasm intensifies*

I hate judgemental people.
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Plagioclase)
Your thread would have been more effective if you hadn't been totally hypocritical and done exactly what you're accusing her of doing by insulting her life and art.
Oh please, enough with the false equivalences. This isn't art, it's my little sister's year 2 painting book.
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
I did some similar work playing with paint at age four. Perhaps I can make a living off it.
afaik all you have to do is be slightly posh and claim it means something then you're quids in.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
Modern art = "I could have done that" + 'Yeah, but you didn't'
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (340)
15.69%
The paper was reasonable (1176)
54.27%
Not feeling great about that exam... (469)
21.64%
It was TERRIBLE (182)
8.4%

Watched Threads