Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarkLane_9)
    Is this for GCSE's?
    No for the A-levels - they say A*AA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmc2017)
    Any advice on my chances of getting an interview for postgrad or undergrad (or both)? I got a 715 average in UCKAT and have a 2:1 Biomedical Sciences degree (and 3 A's at A level).
    I received this from their Admissions Office:

"In 2016, for A100 the minimum UKCAT score shortlisted for interview was 612 but most scores for shortlisted applications were 650+. For graduate entry it was higher with the lowest at 712 and most scores above 730 for shortlisted applicants."

I followed up with a phone call to confirm that the second sentence referred to A101 and not graduate entry for A100. So I'd say you would stand a good chance of getting an interview for A100, but A101 would be a risky application. You could give A101 a go, but make sure you have a good backup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scruffy Jack)

"In 2016, for A100 the minimum UKCAT score shortlisted for interview was 612 but most scores for shortlisted applications were 650+. For graduate entry it was higher with the lowest at 712 and most scores above 730 for shortlisted applicants."

I followed up with a phone call to confirm that the second sentence referred to A101 and not graduate entry for A100. So I'd say you would stand a good chance of getting an interview for A100, but A101 would be a risky application. You could give A101 a go, but make sure you have a good backup.
    I'm a graduate does that mean my A levels won't be looked at when applying for a100

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamlucy)
    No for the A-levels - they say A*AA
    Email them to check just in case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmc2017)
    Any advice on my chances of getting an interview for postgrad or undergrad (or both)? I got a 715 average in UCKAT and have a 2:1 Biomedical Sciences degree (and 3 A's at A level).

Thanks! I am applying for both. I hope UKCAT 715 and a 2:1 is enough for success in at least 1!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if Kings College consider GCSE's/AS Levels when applying with an access course? It says online "chemistry and biology" alongside a B in GCSE English and Maths, but it doesn't say what level of chem and bio they want?

ReputationRep:
    So the website says that you need to be predicted A*AA, but I've been predicted AAA. Should I be worried?
    My application includes GCSE: 8A* 3A 1B, AS: 1A 1B, UKCAT 675.
    Do you think that I still have a chance? (i.e. do you think I should still apply to kings?)

ReputationRep:
    Hey Grad here about to send my application off. Any other grads on this thread?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Mark,

Yep, I'm a grad applying to King's.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Mark,

Yep, I'm a grad applying to King's.
    Ah good nice to see some other grads applying XD What are your other 3 unis going to be?

ReputationRep:
    Ah good nice to see some other grads applying XD What are your other 3 unis going to be?
    4 year courses at Warwick and Southampton and 5 year course at Manchester. How about you?

ReputationRep:
    I got 615 average is there even a point applying lol

ReputationRep:
    4 year courses at Warwick and Southampton and 5 year course at Manchester. How about you?
    UCL, Queen Marys/Barts, Kings college and Glasgow. Paranoid about Kings though I applied in 2014 and got rejected with 712.5 avg :/

ReputationRep:
    UCL, Queen Marys/Barts, Kings college and Glasgow. Paranoid about Kings though I applied in 2014 and got rejected with 712.5 avg :/
    I emailed them to ask if they treat grad applicants for the 5 year course any differently and they said that the UKCAT requirement is the same for all applicants. They said it was about 630 last year.

When I was chatting to one of their admissions team at their open day they asked what UKCAT I had. They said that I should be fine for an interview with my score (750/Band 1).

Fingers crossed.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    I was wondering if you could take a few seconds to sign my Parliamentary petition on tuition fee loans for graduate medics?
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/202381

+rep for all who sign!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I am too, predicted 1st in Biomedical Sciences, 640 UKCAT. UKCAT is a limiting factor in my application for sure, hopefully it'll be enough for an interview!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradDr)
    I am too, predicted 1st in Biomedical Sciences, 640 UKCAT. UKCAT is a limiting factor in my application for sure, hopefully it'll be enough for an interview!
    Sure it will for udnergad deciles where low this year

ReputationRep:
    Sure it will for udnergad deciles where low this year
    Thanks for the re-assurance, I hope so!😅
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    wait, can people who already have a degree in something apply for undergrad medicine? sorry for the stupid question just confused lol
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by totodile)
    wait, can people who already have a degree in something apply for undergrad medicine? sorry for the stupid question just confused lol
    At most universities - yes. There are some that won't take grads on their standard programmes, such as Nottingham, so it's best to check with each university that you're interested in.

Some universities will have a set number of places for grads, which makes the competition far tougher than for school leavers and you will need a higher UKCAT score to be competitive. It is therefore worth asking the question whether grads are treated the same as school leavers when applicants are assessed, what the competition ratios are for both groups, and what UKCAT would have historically been required to be offered an interview.

Some universities will ask for grads to sit a different entrance exam than school leavers. I believe that Exeter and Cardiff require grads to sit the GAMSAT for their 5 year programmes.

And the funding is different for grads on a standard course. You will not be able to get a loan to cover tuition fees, so you need to figure out where you will get ~£40k to cover it.

I'm a grad applying to a couple of 5 year programmes so PM me if you would like any more info.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 2, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.