The Student Room Group

Remark

Hi,

I have already secure my place at UCL and I have already receive my CAS and apply for visa. Today my college contact me if I want to get a remark for my Maths as I was 7 ums ( 6 marks from A*) . My current UMS is 533/600 and iirc A for math is 480/600. They said they would cover the remark for free. Can anyone tell me if I should go ahead since even with A* i wouldnt go to my firm and purely just an improvement in grade. My only worry is that my grade would go down lol
Original post by anhkiet1903
Hi,

I have already secure my place at UCL and I have already receive my CAS and apply for visa. Today my college contact me if I want to get a remark for my Maths as I was 7 ums ( 6 marks from A*) . My current UMS is 533/600 and iirc A for math is 480/600. They said they would cover the remark for free. Can anyone tell me if I should go ahead since even with A* i wouldnt go to my firm and purely just an improvement in grade. My only worry is that my grade would go down lol

your mark wont go down so far that you lose the A grade
Original post by gdunne42
your mark wont go down so far that you lose the A grade

Thanks for your response ! Thats reassuring to hear :biggrin:
Thanks for your response ! Thats reassuring to hear :biggrin:

You should do it because your grade isn't realistically going to go down, but your college is being really stupid about this. Maths is a subject where either you got the right answer or you didn't, it doesn't usually go up at all in remarks and if it does it's only by 1 raw mark if an examiner wants to give you more credit for working out. Let them throw their money anyway, your paper isn't going to go up by 6 raw marks, in a million years.
Original post by Glassapple
You should do it because your grade isn't realistically going to go down, but your college is being really stupid about this. Maths is a subject where either you got the right answer or you didn't, it doesn't usually go up at all in remarks and if it does it's only by 1 raw mark if an examiner wants to give you more credit for working out. Let them throw their money anyway, your paper isn't going to go up by 6 raw marks, in a million years.

haha yeah i think so too, but since they want to waste money for me I would not deny them of that haha
Hi,

Which exam board is this for?
Original post by mupsman2312
Which exam board is this for?

edexcel
edexcel

In that case, I'm pretty sure that it's not as simple as just getting 540/600 for an A*. Instead, you just need at least 480/600, but also a total of at least 180/200 across C3 and C4. What are your C3 and C4 UMS scores?
In that case, I'm pretty sure that it's not as simple as just getting 540/600 for an A*. Instead, you just need at least 480/600, but also a total of at least 180/200 across C3 and C4. What are your C3 and C4 UMS scores?

yeah my college would only remark my c3 and c4 paper, C4 is 81 ums while c3 is 93 ums. They said they would send C4 first to see how it goes and then send c3 later.

Also i mean im not expecting my grade to go up at all, im perfectly fine with an A since getting A* wouldnt change much. As long as my grade doesnt go down which is very very unlikely from what I heard, im happy for my college to waste their money lol
since its being paid for you and you're not in danger of dropping a grade i don't see why not
Also i mean im not expecting my grade to go up at all, im perfectly fine with an A since getting A* wouldnt change much. As long as my grade doesnt go down which is very very unlikely from what I heard, im happy for my college to waste their money lol

Okay, then. You're right - you probably won't go up by 6 UMS marks. But, you may as well give it a go, since it's free for you personally! :tongue: Besides, you definitely wouldn't go down by as many as 54 marks (even if you re-marked all 6 of your modules!). Good luck!
(edited 6 years ago)
Okay, then. You're right - you probably won't go up by 6 UMS marks. But, you may as well give it a go, since it's free for you personally! :tongue: Besides, you definitely wouldn't go down by as many as 54 marks (even if you re-marked all 6 of your modules!). Good luck!

i think u mean 54 UMS :P haha but thanks alottt for your response :biggrin:
Best of luck to you too :smile:
Original post by novaswofter
since its being paid for you and you're not in danger of dropping a grade i don't see why not

thanks for the advice :biggrin:
i think u mean 54 UMS :P haha but thanks alottt for your response :biggrin:
Best of luck to you too :smile:

Yes, I suppose so! Sometimes I just get lazy and say marks instead of UMS. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest