What do you think about post-school education!? Watch

discobish
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
The House of Lords Economic Affairs Committee is investigating the funding of post-school education, which includes universities, further education colleges and apprenticeships.

They really want to hear what you think about the current system, and how it could be improved. They want to know such things as...

:flower2: Do you think your university or college gives you the skills you need for the workplace?

:flower2: Do you think it is good value for money?

:flower2: What changes would improve the current system?

Let us know your thoughts below and we’ll send them on to the Committee!

More info on the inquiry and the Committee can be found here.
username2911200
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They could start by reading news articles from the last 15 years about how bad everything is and what the main issues are, oh wait that would be far too sensible.
2007PSanHa
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
  1. Do you think your university or college gives you the skills you need for the workplace? Yes. I did a placement year so I gained a lot of workplace skills during this.

Do you think it is good value for money?
  2. No. I am paying £9,000 per year for ~10hrs lectures per week and the occasional lab and fieldwork sessions. I would not have minded paying £3,000 per year the fact that it was trippled makes me really angry. We even have to pay for bus passes and printing.

What changes would improve the current system?
  3. Universities should keep attendance records and only those with 95%+ attendance should pass. Their should also be so kind of penalty for students who complete their assignments the night before a deadline.
CTLeafez
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How would you monitor if students are finishing their assignments the night before the due date?
There may be some students (like myself) who complete the assignment days/weeks in advance but like to leave it later to submit, leaving time to add any last minute touches or spurs of inspirational.
CTLeafez
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you think your university or college gives you the skills you need for the workplace?
My University specifically seems to put a lot of emphasis on employability and workplace skills, whether that's with placement years or the annual careers development week. I do think the Uni does need to promote any placements and actually assist students in applying rather than leaving them to blindly do all the leg work.
Do you think it is good value for money?
Not really at all. I'm going into my 2nd year of a STEM degree and I can say hand on heart that the Uni has not spent even close to £9000 on me this academic year. I think there would be a lot less frustration by students if the tuition fees weren't tripled from £3000.

What changes would improve the current system?
1. Universities charge students an amount that is actually reasonable to the cost of teaching them + obviously a bit of profit to allow growth but not a ridiculous amount!

2. As someone said above, compulsory attendance to lectures, seminars etc. Anyone with less than a certain percentage (maybe 90%) shouldn't be allowed to graduate or face a penalty on grades.

3. Maintenance loans should be calculated from the area you will be living in for the duration of your course. Like what there currently is if you go to a London based Uni, but do that across the board. It's unfair for the Government to assume parents can/will bankroll their adult children through Uni. OR How about letting the student request how much they'd like to borrow like with any other loan. (Although students could play the system and take out a larger than necessary loan)
langlitz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 2007PSanHa)
I am paying £9,000 per year for ~10hrs lectures per week and the occasional lab and fieldwork sessions
Should have chosen a better subject then haha
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by discobish)
The House of Lords Economic Affairs Committee is investigating the funding of post-school education, which includes universities, further education colleges and apprenticeships.

They really want to hear what you think about the current system, and how it could be improved. They want to know such things as...

:flower2: Do you think your university or college gives you the skills you need for the workplace?

:flower2: Do you think it is good value for money?

:flower2: What changes would improve the current system?

Let us know your thoughts below and we’ll send them on to the Committee!

More info on the inquiry and the Committee can be found here.
I think students pay for research at their university which benefits very little to their education in the main.

I think far too many people go to university and it's basically a glorified library card on most courses.

Teaching extends to a power point presentation you can see online with no direct teaching like you would get in every other type of institution for training that isn't a university.

I would radically change how it all works to be honest if I were in charge
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
2007PSanHa
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by langlitz)
Should have chosen a better subject then haha
Nope. I wouldn't want to study anything other than Biological Sciences
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (125)
19.72%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (59)
9.31%
No I am happy with my course choice (357)
56.31%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (93)
14.67%

Watched Threads