The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

The Official Exeter Applicants Thread 2018

Hi there, given that we can send off our applications tomorrow I thought I'd start a thread for anyone applying to Exeter. I'm applying to do economics & politics (A*AA-AAB) - my GCSE's were okay but in my one AS this year I got 90% overall (100 UMS in one paper and 80 in the other).

This is a place to meet other applicants and chat during the application process :woo:

Name: Sahil
Course: economics and politics
Predicted grades: A*AA
Also applying at: Manchester, Leeds, QUB and Newcastle.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Name: Dreamliner
Course: FCH- International Relations and Ancient History
Predicted Grades: Not Disclosing These!
Also Applying at: KCL,Bristol, SOAS, Edinburgh
(edited 6 years ago)
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by DreamlinerFinder

As I'm an Applicant, I'll fill one in myself!

You'll certainly fit right in.
Reply 3
Original post by DreamlinerFinder

You have to get a rejection from oxford to qualify applying to Exeter and you cant get a rejection if you dont apply there!
I am considering Exeter but haven't had a chance to visit. ? Also I am worried that Exeter is not well known as a uni compared to my other options?

Exeter is very high up in the league tables for my course, and the south coast sounds attractive xD.

Also applying to Oxford,UCL,QMUL and maybe LSE
(edited 6 years ago)
Currently on a gap year after failing to get into uni this year !!! I got ABC in Philosophy, French & Maths and so will be retaking French and Maths to hopefully get AAA or above. I missed my Durham AAA offer, and also my Exeter AAB one too. If you don't succeed, just try bloody again...

The dream is Durham, but the Exeter course is really brilliant, so I'd be v happy to come here. Still need to visit the actual university tho lol.

Course: French & Arabic
Predicted grades: AAA or above
Also applying at: def Durham, Exeter, Edinburgh Maybe St Andrews, UCL, SOAS, Warwick.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by SuperHuman98
I am considering Exeter but haven't had a chance to visit. Also I am a bit worried about being in a place where there are less like me (I am an ethnic minority)?? (compared to London) Also I am worried that Exeter is not well known as a uni compared to my other options?

Exeter is very high up in the league tables for my course, and the south coast sounds attractive xD.

Also applying to Oxford,UCL,QMUL and maybe LSE

Exeter is a very well established uni and highly thought of - I would definately make the visit if you're seriously considering it :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Zxyn
You have to get a rejection from oxford to qualify applying to Exeter and you cant get a rejection if you dont apply there!

I was thinking of applying to Oxford... does that count? Can I join Exeter now?
Name: therealmarsbar
Course: Law
Predicted grades: A*AA
Also applying at: Cambridge, Durham, Liverpool, Southampton

Went to look around and really loved it.
Reply 9
Original post by King Yu
I was thinking of applying to Oxford... does that count? Can I join Exeter now?

I guess considering it is good enough… sure!
Reply 10
Name: Jonathan

Course: International Relations

Predicted grades: ABB

Also applying at: Reading, Edinburgh, Sheffield and Durham+F
Reply 11
Original post by 221Breezeblocks
Currently on a gap year after failing to get into uni this year !!! I got ABC in Philosophy, French & Maths and so will be retaking French and Maths to hopefully get AAA or above. I missed my Durham AAA offer, and also my Exeter AAB one too. If you don't succeed, just try bloody again...

The dream is Durham, but the Exeter course is really brilliant, so I'd be v happy to come here. Still need to visit the actual university tho lol.

Course: French & Arabic
Predicted grades: AAA or above
Also applying at: def Durham, Exeter, Edinburgh Maybe St Andrews, UCL, SOAS, Warwick.

I have heard of some universities taking on students even though they missed the offer by a grade or two. Is this not true (for Exeter)
Original post by Jonathan_workman
I have heard of some universities taking on students even though they missed the offer by a grade or two. Is this not true (for Exeter)

This definitely does happen, however whether or not it would happen to you I have absolutely no idea. There are a great deal of factors, none of which anyone can really predict so it would be stupid to rely on that possibility for getting into university. I suppose that it can depend on things like the number of university places that they have left on the day / what they think of you if they review your application / etc. etc.

Another thing that happened was that a number of my friends logged onto Track this year on results day (after it being down for a couple of days prior to results) to find out that one of their offers had been changed to unconditional. Unis are allowed to do that.

I however missed my insurance (Exeter AAB) by two grades and was rejected (I got ABC). Other friends of mine who missed their offers were offered slightly different courses but still at the same university.

So yes basically it does happen every year at some universities - personally I didn't hear of it happening at Exeter but I only knew of one other person who was applying there in my year. Just do your best to get the grades lol.
Reply 13
I will try do my best as I loved Exeter and I hope you do get into Durham ! :h:
Reply 14
Name: Ewan
Course: History
Predicted grades: A* A* A
Also applying at: Durham, Birmingham, York, Sheffield
Name: Hash

Course: Medicine

Predicted grades: A*AA (AAB already achieved)

Also applying at:liverpool york not sure about last
Name: Bubs (not actually but, y'know, online safety and all)
Course: Law (yes, risky, but I adored Exeter so might as well go for it)
Predicted grades: AAB + A/A* in the EPQ (could become AAA)
Also applying at: Birmingham, Leicester, some other places!
Name: Mantha
Course: International Relations
Predicted grades: AAB
Also applying at: Leeds, Bristol, Manchester, Birmingham
Name: Hamza
Course: Law
Pred: Probably AAA
Also applying at: York, Warwick, SOAS, Royal Holloway
Reply 19
Original post by Jonathan_workman

Yes, Exeter sent out an email last year saying they accept equivalents. My offer was AAA and i got in with A* AB

Quick Reply

Latest