Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AmeliaLost Goes Back to College! Watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

Hello! My name's Amelia, I'm probably roughly a decade older than you and I am going back to college! I'm finally indulging my nerdy side, and hope you'll come along for the ride~

I'll be studying biology, chemistry and maths as part of an Access to HE (Science) course. I'm aiming for 45 distinctions (roughly equivalent to AAA at A-level), and applying to read neuroscience in 2018.

It seems to be less of a thing to do this for access courses, but I thought it might encourage others who are studying too, or thinking about going back to study, and also help keep me accountable

About me

Spoiler:
    Show

I've had a bit of a rocky path with education so far. I didn't have the happiest or calmest childhood so left school after GCSEs. :emo: I've always been pretty nerdy, but was never good with formal structures as a kid. I blame the autism tbh...

Anyway, I had been working as a lighting technician in the local theatre so ran away to London to do that professionally and trained as an electrician. That was a lot of fun!

After half a decade I got fed up of being skint, so then went off to work as an accountant. That was not a lot of fun.

So, after another couple of years doing that, I decided I missed doing fun, meaningful work and started saving up to go back to college to sit A-levels, and eventually apply to study neuroscience, with the hope of one day becoming a researcher :moon:

I applied to A-levels and was accepted to a college sixth form this January. That was then rescinded a few months later when they very unkindly decided to close the sixth form. So, now I am about to start an Access course!

It does mean I can't apply to NatSci as I'd hoped... but everything will pan out in the end I'm certain!

Aside from endlessly chopping and changing what I want to do, I sing, play violin, pretend that I can draw, nerd out over silly things and am a kickass D.va main in Overwatch

About my Course

Spoiler:
    Show

For those of you who don't fall into the mature student bracket (immature students?), Access courses are designed to be a little like A-levels, condensed into one year.

As far as I understand, I'll have to write essays on each module,or complete problem sheets, and there will probably be some exams too, but these will be at the end of each module rather than at the end of the course. These modules are where those Distinctions (or merits, or passes...) will be coming from. I only have 2.5 hours of lectures on each subject every week too, so there will be a lot of crying on my own in the library!

The benefit to this is that my essay writing and self study skills will be top notch before I go to uni, the downside is I will only have had a year of study not two... I'm going to do my best to make sure there are no gaps in my knowledge though ^_^

They're not stand alone qualifications so don't boost your CV - they're only meant to get you equipped to study at university. They only recently were assigned UCAS points!

What am I Aiming For

Spoiler:
    Show

I'm aiming for full distinctions, though the average offer on my courses is actually only 30 Distinctions 15 merits. I am applying to Experimental Psychology at Oxford too, which does require 45 distinctions. Mostly though, I'm just aiming for this to push myself.

I've been thinking about studying neuroscience for about 3 years now, so actually applying for courses is exciting! I've been reading everything from popsci books to full papers in journals, and realising that one day I might be contributing to these is intensely cool. I'm hoping to go into research eventually (maybe in autism, maybe in basic brain function, maybe even computational modelling - who knows), but this is my first hurdle!

This is my first blog, so I hope i'm doing this right! :lol:

I will aim to update this weekly on a Thursday, and maybe a little more often if there's lots of interesting or exciting stuff going on. I have an instablr I'll link in later too! (There will be many photos of tear-stained notes, I'm sure.)

Tag list for people I like that might be interested:grouphugs::hug: PM me to subscribe, or to unsubscribe :emo:

Let's do this!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmeliaLost)
    Attachment 688166

Hello! My name's Amelia, I'm probably roughly a decade older than you and I am going back to college! I'm finally indulging my nerdy side, and hope you'll come along for the ride~

I'll be studying biology, chemistry and maths as part of an Access to HE (Science) course. I'm aiming for 45 distinctions (roughly equivalent to AAA at A-level), and applying to read neuroscience in 2018.

It seems to be less of a thing to do this for access courses, but I thought it might encourage others who are studying too, or thinking about going back to study, and also help keep me accountable

About me

Spoiler:
    Show

I've had a bit of a rocky path with education so far. I didn't have the happiest or calmest childhood so left school after GCSEs. :emo: I've always been pretty nerdy, but was never good with formal structures as a kid. I blame the autism tbh...

Anyway, I had been working as a lighting technician in the local theatre so ran away to London to do that professionally and trained as an electrician. That was a lot of fun!

After half a decade I got fed up of being skint, so then went off to work as an accountant. That was not a lot of fun.

So, after another couple of years doing that, I decided I missed doing fun, meaningful work and started saving up to go back to college to sit A-levels, and eventually apply to study neuroscience. I applied and was accepted to a college sixth form this January, which was then rescinded a few months later when they decided to close the sixth form! So, now I am about to start an Access course!

Aside from endlessly chopping and changing what I want to do, I sing, play violin, pretend that I can draw, nerd out over silly things and am a kickass D.va main in Overwatch

About my Course

Spoiler:
    Show

For those of you who don't fall into the mature student bracket (immature students?), Access courses are designed to be a little like A-levels, condensed into one year.

As far as I understand, I'll have to write essays on each module,or complete problem sheets, and there will probably be some exams too, but these will be at the end of each module rather than at the end of the course. These modules are where those Distinctions (or merits, or passes...) will be coming from. I only have 2.5 hours of lectures on each subject every week too, so there will be a lot of crying on my own in the library!

The benefit to this is that my essay writing and self study skills will be top notch before I go to uni, the downside is I will only have had a year of study not two... I'm going to do my best to make sure there are no gaps in my knowledge though ^_^

They're not stand alone qualifications so don't boost your CV - they're only meant to get you equipped to study at university. They only recently were assigned UCAS points!

What am I Aiming For

Spoiler:
    Show

I'm aiming for full distinctions in order to push myself, though the average offer on my courses is actually only 30 Distinctions 15 merits. I am applying to PBS at Oxford, which does require 45 distinctions. Mostly though, I'm just aiming for this to push myself.

I've been thinking about studying neuroscience for about 3 years now, so actually applying for courses is exciting! I've been reading everything from popsci books to full papers in journals, and realising that one day I might be contributing to these is intensely cool. I'm hoping to go into research eventually (maybe in autism, maybe in basic brain function, maybe even computational modelling - who knows), but this is my first hurdle!

This is my first blog, so I hope i'm doing this right! :lol:

I will aim to update this at least weekly, maybe a little more often if there's lots of interesting or exciting stuff going on. I have an instablr I'll link in later too! (There will be many photos of tear-stained notes, I'm sure.)

Tag list for people I like that might be interested:grouphugs::hug: PM me to subscribe, or to unsubscribe :emo:

Let's do this!
    Good luck, Amelia! :woo: Rooting for you :rave:

P.S.: If you are like ten years older than me, then you are almost as old as my oldest sisters :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I look forward to reading your entries Amelia!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michiyo)
    Good luck, Amelia! :woo: Rooting for you :rave:

P.S.: If you are like ten years older than me, then you are almost as old as my oldest sisters :awesome:
    Yaaay, thank you! :hugs:Ahh does that mean I can boss you around like big sisters do too? :lol:

(Original post by AnnaGlypta)
    I look forward to reading your entries Amelia!
    Thanks Anna! :jumphug:

I'M SO EXCITED IT'S RIDICULOUS :woo::woo::woo:

ReputationRep:
    This has inspired my to maybe start a wordpress/blogspot documenting my journey too! Will link when I can!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    This has inspired my to maybe start a wordpress/blogspot documenting my journey too! Will link when I can!
    Yesss do it! Team Old-Students-Blogging :lol: or, of course, you could do it right here on good ole' TSR
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Looking forward to this!

ReputationRep:
    I'm routing for you! My dreams have been put on hold for now but it'll be good to follow someone else's success story!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrDystopia)
    Looking forward to this!
    :jumphug:

Thanks Boss

(Original post by Philip-flop)
    I'm routing for you! My dreams have been put on hold for now but it'll be good to follow someone else's success story!
    Thanks

:console: You'll work stuff out. Maybe you're just following one dream over another!

ReputationRep:
    Aww yay another blog! Looking forward to seeing how this year turns out. So many friends having quite adventerous years haha.

Sounds like so much work, I would be awful at it lol but I'm sure you'll do a fine job

P.S. You ain't that old :P

Paracosm (Didn't seem to tag him properly in yours )
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kraggor)
    Aww yay another blog! Looking forward to seeing how this year turns out. So many friends having quite adventerous years haha.

Sounds like so much work, I would be awful at it lol but I'm sure you'll do a fine job

P.S. You ain't that old :P

Paracosm (Didn't seem to tag him properly in yours )
    Thaankss :banana:

P.s. I'm not convinced, but thanks anyway :lol:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Entry 1 - It Begins~
    Mood: :dontknow:

I had my induction today, which was... underwhelming.

There were lots of us so we were split into classrooms. There were some forms to fill in, one of which we later found will form part of our first Study Skills essay, and a big icebreaker that was so big I still don't actually know half the people that were in the room with me :lol: I have no idea who I'm actually going to be in classes with either!

Good news is I have my timetable, and it's all afternoon classes! I work far better in the afternoons/evenings, so this suits me perfectly!

Spoiler:
    Show

Rubbish faux calligraphy makes everything more exciting...

One of the tutors, a psychology tutor, who was taking the session spied that I was applying to Oxford on one of the forms, and seems to have taken me under his wing a little for that. It's nice to have support! It also now feels less like a pipe dream than a real thing I am actually doing and is actually happening :afraid:

We were done by lunch (despite being told we'd be in til 3) so that left me with the rest of the day to myself. Went to town for lunch, ordered some new stationary from Muji (I'm hopeless), did a little pre-reading and practiced a Telemann piece on the violin that is slowly destroying me. I have a problem with my leg right now that's stopping me moving too much so I can't actually do much else with my time!

Next week is going to be more exciting, as I will actually be starting classes. Violin class also starts back up, along with choir, so I will be busy.

ReputationRep:
    Your college timetable is goals. I can't even draw a straight line. I went into town an bought a few more books today, finally got Cite it Right... probably going to be the most helpful book :'D

Would anyone be interested in swapping intsagrams? By any chance...

ReputationRep:
    Subbing :heart:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Your college timetable is goals. I can't even draw a straight line. I went into town an bought a few more books today, finally got Cite it Right... probably going to be the most helpful book :'D

Would anyone be interested in swapping intsagrams? By any chance...
    Haha awww thanks :love: journals are a nice way of pretending to be productive but actually just doodling :lol:

I'll PM you mine ^^

(Original post by orderofthelotus)
    Subbing :heart:
    Thanks! :jumphug:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Entry 2 - Settling in
    Mood:

Access Course Update:

So far I have had my first chemistry, study skills and biology classes (in that order), and I have higher maths tomorrow. Each lesson so far has started off quite slowly, with a recap of GCSE level core-stuff, and slowly broadening into more advanced topics. Core atomic knowledge, some stuff on nutrition, a big report in study skills evaluating uni choices. Nothing remotely exciting!

It’s a bit slow for me in all honesty, especially where I’ve spent all summer pre-reading. We're also apparently not going to cover much A2 content, which made me very sad :cry: Still not going to forgive them for closing the sixth form...

The essays/worksheets are all meant to be Level 3 though. Some colleges have a few full Level 2 (i.e. GCSE level) modules built in, to get you warmed up - nothing like that for us! That reassures me a little bit...

However, it’s also quite nice that I have some breathing space to settle in to my new crazy schedule!

General Update:

So, the crazy schedule?

I’m dashing about between work (i’m doing 13 hours spread out over 2 morning and 2 evening shifts) and lectures most days, then have violin class on Mondays, and choir practise on Wednesdays.

Between all of this timetabled stuff I obviously need to study/work on my module submissions, but also practise my violin daily, my singing stuff a little less and go swimming at least few times a week (I get very weird if I don't exercise...)

:nutcase:

Having quite a light workload this week is probably quite a good thing....

I don't have the best organisational skills, so I was expecting balancing all of this (and remembering where I'm meant to be and when) to be pretty stressful. Right now though, I feel the happiest I've felt in months

Application Update:

My personal statement draft has now been forwarded to the tutor who’s looking after my Oxford application. Waiting on his revisions/commentary at the moment...

Maybe he'll just do this?

I’ve also bought a book full of TSA practise questions and advice, so I can start preparing! Exam isn't for a couple of months yet, so that's a fair bit of time... right?

I think that's everything for now. Hope it wasn't too rambly! I'm just heading out to a performance of The Picture of Dorian Grey tonight, then flying out to the Netherlands for a couple of nights after my maths class tomorrow: there is a musical project that have never performed before performing in Tilburg for just a few nights! Should be a fun weekend

ReputationRep:
    :lovehug:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Ooh sounds exciting :excited: Good luck in your studies! It was definitely very mean of them to close the sixth form you were accepted to, although it would have been worse if they'd done it next year when you were a year in!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orderofthelotus)
    :lovehug:

(Original post by Lemur14)
    Ooh sounds exciting :excited: Good luck in your studies! It was definitely very mean of them to close the sixth form you were accepted to, although it would have been worse if they'd done it next year when you were a year in!
    Thank you!

I knowww, it was awful to get the letter I guess so! Though, they've kept on last year's AS students for A2 this year, so actually that would have been fine!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmeliaLost)

Thank you!

I knowww, it was awful to get the letter I guess so! Though, they've kept on last year's AS students for A2 this year, so actually that would have been fine!
    Awww that's even more annoying then! At least you have found this alternative route!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.