The Student Room Group

A-level Religious Studies & A-level Philosophy Study Group

Welcome to the (new and improved) study group for A-level Philosophy and A-level Religious Studies!

The old study group threads are - well, pretty old, and I thought it was about time to shake things up a bit. Whether you study philosophy or RS, whichever exam board you're using, here you can discuss RS/philosophy revision, notes, exams and any philosophical or theological questions/confusion/random ideas you might have. I may split this thread later, depending on how many people on TSR are doing RS and philosophy, but for now, just get chatting! Here are some icebreakers:

Year 12 or Year 13?
Which exam board?
RS or philosophy?
Why did you decide to study RS/philosophy?
Which topic do you enjoy the most/are you looking forward to most?

Resources

2018 exam dates:
Too early for this :P

Specifications:
AQA Philosophy (old [2015] specification // new AS // new A-level)
AQA Religious Studies (AS // A-level)
Edexcel Religious Studies (AS // A-level)
OCR Religious Studies (AS // A-level)

Thank you @Iggy Azalea for some of the following resource recommendations!

YouTube channels:
MrMcMillanREvis (these videos are based around the old spec, but still useful)
InspiringPhilosophy
Philosophy Tube
Wireless Philosophy

Websites/misc. links:
Outline of philosophy
Outline of religion
Revision World RS (for the old spec, but very comprehensive and still useful)
PushMe Press Philosophy and Ethics (as above)
Religious Studies Online
Stanford Encyclopaedia of Philosophy (I would highly recommend this one!)
Internet Encyclopaedia of Philosophy

tags

Scroll to see replies

What a great thread idea!
I'm in Y12, taking Religious Studies (though my school calls it 'Philosophy and Ethics') on the WJEC/Eduqas exam board, so I feel like I'm doing both RS and philosophy! The actual course is quite a nice mix of both (the course I'm doing is split into theology, philosophy and ethics) and I'm looking forward to the philosophy of religion topic we're doing a little later in the year :smile:
Original post by brownanya122
What a great thread idea!
I'm in Y12, taking Religious Studies (though my school calls it 'Philosophy and Ethics') on the WJEC/Eduqas exam board, so I feel like I'm doing both RS and philosophy! The actual course is quite a nice mix of both (the course I'm doing is split into theology, philosophy and ethics) and I'm looking forward to the philosophy of religion topic we're doing a little later in the year :smile:

I'm starting Year 12 too and we are studying the same course! Would be great to work together
I'm in year 13 and study religious studies with OCR, first year to take the new spec exam😃

we are currently studying a topic in developments in Christian thoughts which is about Jesus as a historical figure and whether he is real or not :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by sarahr01
I'm starting Year 12 too and we are studying the same course! Would be great to work together

I'm doing that too :smile:
Hey guys!
This seems pretty cool, I think RS is my weakest subject so exchanging ideas and stuff should be really fun! :smile:
I'm in Year 13 doing OCR RS (but we literally changed exam board a few months into year 12 ahaha, my school don't seem overly organised tbh). Honestly I enjoy Development in Christian Thought over Philosophy and Ethics but we've only just started it so who knows? And I'm such a nerd for English so I'm looking forward to meta-ethics quite a lot too!
Any other Year 13's about? How did you find Year 12?
Hey guys I finished A-levels a couple months ago... If you're doing OCR RE then I guess I could help you since I got an A* overall (98.5 UMS average in A2 and similar in AS). So I could send you my notes, sources or essays since I feel obliged by the old threads help. I think there's a new spec so I'm not sure how that would play out, but never the less ask, anything to help!!!
(edited 6 years ago)
needed this thread
Reply 8
Cool thread
thanks for this thread!! seems like nobody does RE

I am doing the full A level AQA (2 papers) in june 2018 and i was wondering what textbooks have you guys got?

is anybody doing Islam?
I'm in year 12 doing AQA RE with christianity as the religion. I chose RE as it was one of my favourite subjects at GCSE and I needed another humanity. I am really looking forward to the christianity topic
Reply 11
Original post by rarajaja0
Hey guys I finished A-levels a couple months ago... If you're doing OCR RE then I guess I could help you since I got an A* overall (98.5 UMS average in A2 and similar in AS). So I could send you my notes, sources or essays since I feel obliged by the old threads help. I think there's a new spec so I'm not sure how that would play out, but never the less ask, anything to help!!!

Please could you send me them? I'm in year 12 right now and kinda scared about RS. Thank you so much and well done on your achievement!!
@rarajaja0 It would be amazing if you could hang around here and help with people's questions from time to time, thanks!

Forgot to mention, once you all get into learning the content for religious studies/philosophy, if there are any concepts (especially philosophical ones) you're having trouble understanding. I spent a bit of time helping people on the old thread and I'm always happy to do so; feel free to tag me if you need help :h:
Anyone doing islam?? Not sure what textbook to use for paper 2 as im doing islam
Hey guys, I got an A* in RS last year for OCR! ALthough I know the courses are changing, I'd be happy to send over some revision notes for similar topics.
Reply 15
Original post by beccabokka
Hey guys, I got an A* in RS last year for OCR! ALthough I know the courses are changing, I'd be happy to send over some revision notes for similar topics.

Please could you send me some? Thank you so much!! x
I'm doing WJEC Religious Studies, I'm a second year and I got an A in the AS exam and I'm predicted an A for the A level exam as well.

I enjoy GCSE RS because it changed my opinion on lots of contemporary issues and that's why I took it for A level.

My favourites modules are philosophy and ethics (two separate modules, not like PE at GCSE, *real* philosophy).
Original post by seconda1
Anyone doing islam?? Not sure what textbook to use for paper 2 as im doing islam

These are the AQA-approved textbooks; I'm not sure if they cover Islam, though.
I'm currently in Y13 and I'm taking OCR Religious Studies (though my sixth form calls it philosophy & ethics aha)
I always loved RS in the lower school and needed a third a level option so that's why I decided to study it. It's now my favourite subject so I'm glad I did.
We didn't sit the AS but I'm on track to get an A... this thread is a great idea and I'm sure it will help loads!
Original post by Sonechka
These are the AQA-approved textbooks; I'm not sure if they cover Islam, though.

It woulsnt make sense if they disnt
Yeah hoping to self teach out of these 2 textbooks but why on earth does book 1 have component 2?
what would i use to study paper 2? For islam

Quick Reply

Latest