physconomics
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So, I went to sign up for my sixth form courses today (Maths, Economics and Physics) but the Further Maths teacher convinced me to also take that. She just wants me to try it and said I can drop out whenever I want.

I do enjoy maths and I got a 9 in the gcse, it is not my favourite subject but I do enjoy it, but Im scared that I don't enjoy it "enough" to be good at further maths - everyone speaks about it like its some impossible feat and it really scares me. I dont know if the workload will be much more but I would have studied 3 subjects with 10hrs of frees but now I'm studying 4 subjects with 5hrs of frees. Is it worth it?

(I want to do a degree in either Economics or Physics - more leaning towards Physics, where further maths is quite useful in applications)
Bill Nye
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah, try it. Drop out if you find it too hard. It will be very useful for getting in a uni to do physics, as you have said
math42
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by physconomics)
So, I went to sign up for my sixth form courses today (Maths, Economics and Physics) but the Further Maths teacher convinced me to also take that. She just wants me to try it and said I can drop out whenever I want.

I do enjoy maths and I got a 9 in the gcse, it is not my favourite subject but I do enjoy it, but Im scared that I don't enjoy it "enough" to be good at further maths - everyone speaks about it like its some impossible feat and it really scares me. I dont know if the workload will be much more but I would have studied 3 subjects with 10hrs of frees but now I'm studying 4 subjects with 5hrs of frees. Is it worth it?

(I want to do a degree in either Economics or Physics - more leaning towards Physics, where further maths is quite useful in applications)
It's not an impossible feat. It's not even particularly hard for someone good at maths. A-level maths is pretty different to GCSE and you may find you like it less or more; if you do find it less enjoyable then as your teacher said you can always drop further maths.
vicvic38
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It is a good subject to make you stand out from the crowd in university applications, or at least stand in the crowd they're picking from!

Further Maths might make you enjoy maths more! I know it did for me, as you look at many things that you wouldn't see otherwise. It also isn't impossible, Believe me, people have done it. Just take each lesson one at a time, and you'll be flying along.
colourtheskies
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
yes the further pure modules are tricky but the applied modules are quite straight forwards and you can fit it in if you really work in your frees
for reference I started the year with maths, fm, physics, chem and french with 1hr of frees, dropped french in march and went up to 6hrs of frees and got aabb at as with a b in fm
thotproduct
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm biased here! But I was in your exact situation a week ago! I am now doing Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics for A Level! (starting Sept) and honestly as far as this timetable goes, you will have many frees to focus too! (I have 6, with an extra 2 supervised revision sessions), I believe, that although the course IS harder than GCSE, if you really take it in and focus on everything bit by bit as opposed to the whole picture, you will excel at it! Additionally if you didn't like it and/or didn't do so good, you can always drop it for A2 or in the first weeks of Y12.

FM is also a win/win. If you do good in it, you can take it to A2 and potentially access some excellent instiutions, alternatively, you could drop it, taking Maths, Phys, Eco to A2 and still go to a top uni. Or if you're feeling daring, all 4 to A2.
Anonymous #1
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by physconomics)

Its worth at least trying, but do bear in mind that you can't do further maths and automatically pass maths. Some people make this assumption, not realising that FM deals with many topics which can't be translated to normal maths (eg; imaginary numbers.)
That being said its definitely worth at least giving it a shot.
rcartist
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is it still possible to take further maths A level with a grade 8 for GCSE? I was predicted a nine but ended up 8 marks away, but I got an A* in furthermaths GCSE. So would I be classed as incapable if I do still love maths but just didnt get that one grade to maybe qualify?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (114)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (34)
19.88%
Yes but I might change my mind (23)
13.45%

Watched Threads