DaisyDragon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,

I'm looking into studying a single honours History course or a History and Welsh History degree. These are my queries:
>I am not fluent in Welsh; a concern is that there will be a lot of Welsh resources available for the course, and I will not be able to access good materials.
>Does a Welsh History degree make me more employable in Wales, due to the clear interest in the country? However, does that mean it also makes me less employable in the rest of the UK?

Any advice on the topic would be much appreciated. Or even the experiences of any students studying History/Welsh History.

Many thanks,
DaisyDragon
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by DaisyDragon)
Hi,

I'm looking into studying a single honours History course or a History and Welsh History degree. These are my queries:
>I am not fluent in Welsh; a concern is that there will be a lot of Welsh resources available for the course, and I will not be able to access good materials.
>Does a Welsh History degree make me more employable in Wales, due to the clear interest in the country? However, does that mean it also makes me less employable in the rest of the UK?

Any advice on the topic would be much appreciated. Or even the experiences of any students studying History/Welsh History.

Many thanks,
DaisyDragon
You don't need to speak Welsh to study Welsh History (not at the undergraduate level anyway, if you wanted to pursue it further then a reading knowledge of Welsh would be useful). There might be an opportunity to learn Welsh depending on which university you go to.

I very much doubt having a 'Welsh History' degree (rather than straight History) will make you more employable, but it certainly won't make you less employable. Tbh most graduate employers don't care what you studied, you just need a degree.
DaisyDragon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Snufkin)
You don't need to speak Welsh to study Welsh History (not at the undergraduate level anyway, if you wanted to pursue it further then a reading knowledge of Welsh would be useful). There might be an opportunity to learn Welsh depending on which university you go to.

I very much doubt having a 'Welsh History' degree (rather than straight History) will make you more employable, but it certainly won't make you less employable. Tbh most graduate employers don't care what you studied, you just need a degree.
Okay. Thank you for the advice. I would be keen to learn more Welsh at university anyway, whether I choose to study Welsh History or not.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.87%
I'm not sure (32)
4.67%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.24%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.34%
I'm not a current university student (328)
47.88%

Watched Threads