The Student Room Group

I got a low-ish IQ and now I feel awful

I don't want an echo chamber, as much as it would be reassuring, but I want to ask what relevance you guys know of IQ? I only got 123 (or to add some actual context, 92-93rd percentile)

got my IQ score back from the Mensa testing. I've always been known as a smart guy and people 'regularly' point out I'm smart.

I got a gold award on the maths challenge, and over 90 UMS + on my maths and further maths average at AS, and I got 10 A*s at GCSE. I'm told my stories that I write are impressive, and the speeches / arguments I give are always clear and powerful.

Yet I have dispraxia, elements of dyslexia (though tbf not enough to be "diagnosed" with dyslexia) and awaiting diagnosis on Aspergers. I don't know if they might have any bearing.

I'm feeling awful just thinking there is no way I can ever achieve anything that well anymore and that my "achievements" might well just be luck or 'easy' questions that somehow suit someone who is unintelligent?
Reply 1
You already have achieved stuff, look at your GCSEs and AS, you have done excellent in them so clearly you are intelligent.
Original post by Anonymous
I don't want an echo chamber, as much as it would be reassuring, but I want to ask what relevance you guys know of IQ? I only got 123 (or to add some actual context, 92-93rd percentile)

got my IQ score back from the Mensa testing. I've always been known as a smart guy and people 'regularly' point out I'm smart.

I got a gold award on the maths challenge, and over 90 UMS + on my maths and further maths average at AS, and I got 10 A*s at GCSE. I'm told my stories that I write are impressive, and the speeches / arguments I give are always clear and powerful.

Yet I have dispraxia, elements of dyslexia (though tbf not enough to be "diagnosed" with dyslexia) and awaiting diagnosis on Aspergers. I don't know if they might have any bearing.

I'm feeling awful just thinking there is no way I can ever achieve anything that well anymore and that my "achievements" might well just be luck or 'easy' questions that somehow suit someone who is unintelligent?

An IQ of 123 isn't "low". The average is 100.
I've never liked Mensa tests and always thought they don't actually provide evidence for intelligence. For example, my friend did it and is insanely intelligent but questions he couldn't do I was able to do. I'm just better at the Mensa type of questions but it doesn't mean I'm intelligent.
It's a number, and 123 isn't exactly low. I wouldn't care too much about - it's how much you enjoy life that matters. Having said that, 123 is enough, if combined with other attributes, to be able to achieve quite a lot academically.

You seem to be placing more importance on this number that your other exam results - don't.
Reply 5
Richard Feynman received 125 on his school IQ test, so you're in good company.
Original post by Anonymous

Your IQ is over 120 so it's "superior" and in the top 30% or so of the population.

IQ is not the only measure of intelligence; it's good at testing your ability to solve puzzles etc. but there are other types of intelligence out there. Linguistic intelligence, common sense, memory, general knowledge, academic ability, critical thinking etc. are all different types of intelligence.
You are the usual midwit. You are smarter than most people, but not high level. Which is 140 plus. You will get a job in a public service. Also you could have higher I in some area's and lower IQ in other area's. The 123 will be your averaged IQ.
Reply 8
Your Asperger's shows
chill, it's not like people are gonna what your IQ is
Mine is probably below 100.
Maybe between 90-95.
Original post by Anonsama
Your Asperger's shows

ruthless
do you actually believe IQ tests to be an accurate measure of intelligence? Or that intelligence can even be quantified in such a manner?
Regardless of your actual score and the fact it's above the average, the "IQ" metric has long been debunked as a horribly inaccurate measurement which is designed to only "reward" those who come from a very specific middle to upper class white background with "good" scores.

It's been demonstrated many times over that IQ has limited correlation with success and those from non-steretoypical white western backgrounds consistently do poorly on IQ tests, regardless of their actual achievement or potential.
Lol I hope the madman above me isn't serious.
OP HERE
Thanks for the support guys. I feel quite a bit better. Especially

Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Richard Feynman received 125 on his school IQ test, so you're in good company.

He is literally my hero <3

For those asking,

Original post by _gcx
do you actually believe IQ tests to be an accurate measure of intelligence? Or that intelligence can even be quantified in such a manner?

I do believe there is a correlation between IQ and being able to spot patterns which are immensely useful in problem solving. Can intelligence be quantified? No, but it can be compared. I think that's what an IQ scale is attempting to do.

So all in all, maybe a MENSA IQ test is just a test that favours a certain kind of person. I will continue studying knowing I'm not doomed :smile:

Cheers, folks!
OP, just know that to actually succeed in life you need common sense above anything. That test usually leads to a false sense of entitlement. You're doing good :smile:
You are in the top 7% of the population and would be considered moderately gifted. Its hardly a poor result!

Quick Reply

Latest