What Ian mitochondrial dysfunction

Watch this thread
username3071756
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
^
I searched everywhere but I still not get as they often just link with mitochondrial diseases . For A levels . Can someone simplify its meaning with biology terms
username3071756
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Sorry for bad spelling . I should really switch off autocorrect
Realityman
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ParisOMg)
^
I searched everywhere but I still not get as they often just link with mitochondrial diseases. For A levels. Can someone simplify its meaning with biology terms
Mitochondrial diseases are a group of disorders caused by dysfunctional mitochondria, the organelles that generate energy for the cell.
Mitochondria are an organelle that produces energy as ATP.
But if they start to fail, less energy and less will be produced, they could lead to cell injury or cell death (NOT PERSON'S DEATH).
If this process starting to repeat throughout the whole body, the whole organ system starts to fail and possibly lead to death.
The parts of the body, such as the heart, brain, muscles and lungs, requiring the greatest amounts of energy are the most affected. Mitochondrial disease is difficult to diagnose, because it affects each individual differently.
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
^
I searched everywhere but I still not get as they often just link with mitochondrial diseases . For A levels . Can someone simplify its meaning with biology terms
Which exam board? For A-levels I'm sure you shouldn't need to go into details of it at all, and just know what a mitochondrial disease is.
username3071756
Rep:
(Original post by kkboyk)
Which exam board? For A-levels I'm sure you shouldn't need to go into details of it at all, and just know what a mitochondrial disease is.
AQA. I'm doing a presentation on a recent research about mitochondria and it was mentioned so just wanted to know what was it
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
AQA. I'm doing a presentation on a recent research about mitochondria and it was mentioned so just wanted to know what was it
All you need to know is that its' a mutation specifically of the mitochondrial DNA when replicating (as well as in the nuclear genes which codes for any of the mitochondrial components). This produces a dysfunctional mitochondria (as in it does not do the job it's supposed to), leading a lack of energy being produced, thus causing loss of many bodily function e.g. if in muscles, then muscular contraction does not happen, reduction in nerve impulse inside nerves as mitochondria is needed to form a gradient of ions to allow nerve impulses to travel through the nerves (as well as in synapses).

You can pretty much relate to every other topic you've studied in Biology which involves mitochondria, and then explain how a dysfunctional mitochondria will cause.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (16)
28.57%
Take a gap year (14)
25%
Resit my exams (9)
16.07%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (7)
12.5%
I don't know yet (7)
12.5%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
5.36%

Watched Threads