Studying medicine in Sofia Medical University? Watch

georgelagalle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm considering studying medicine in Bulgaria (2018 entry), Sofia to be specific. I am thinking of applying to Sofia Medical University through Study Medicine Europe. I just have a few questions; How good is Sofia Medical University? Is Study Medicine Europe reliable? Are Study Medicine Europe able to supply me with a good service?
OregonHooligan
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Let me tell you something. A lot of people from my country go to medical schools in Eastern Europe because they can't go to the ones in my home country. They have an intention of returning back since the salary in Eastern Europe is sh**. The problem is, they can't pass the medical license exam meaning they're nothing more than someone who's a graduate from an 'easy' school. Plus, schools in Eastern Europe say they have English courses but how good are they? A Polish friend of mine told me that English Medical Courses in Poland are not well regarded as the Polish ones since the faculty speaks sh** English. If I were you, I wouldn't study Medicine in Eastern Europe. Maybe Germany is a better option. But you'll have to learn German and work your ass off if you want to continue your course.
rarajaja0
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Varna and Plovdiv are better in my opinion for foreign students in my honest opinion. Plovdiv has a huge foreign student cohort and the town is very cheap and peaceful, Varna also has a pretty big student cohort, and the town is quite nice as it's by the beach.

The plus sides to Sofia are that its ranked higher in the Bulgarian rankings for medical schools, as well as being closer to the central airport. It also probably has a bit better hospitals that Plovdiv as its the capital thus more resources. (((Furthermore, I've been told Varna has dirty hospitals (don't take my word for it).))) However, Sofia is harder to get into and there aren't as many foreign students there, so the english course will subsequently have fewer perks like fluent lectures. Also, it's all 6 year traditional medicine kinda similar to UCL or Cambridge (you get an MDwhich is pretty darn cool), and all 3 are EEA approved so as long as you're getting 5+ or the uk eqivelant of a 2:1+ you should be safe for FY2 application as long as you pass the GMC specified tests.---> fy2 places are still pretty competitive so you're going to have to study very hard.

I dont really know that much more, so take what you want from this

Also, UK should be your no.1 goal, it's obviously better, alot better, better everything, pus fy1 entry is a given, but Bulgaria is ok back up if you really don't want to waste time if you get Bs at alevels,

good luck hope this helps you!!
georgelagalle
Rep:
?
Thank you so much!!!! 👍🏼
georgelagalle
Rep:
?
(Original post by premedmath)
Let me tell you something. A lot of people from my country go to medical schools in Eastern Europe because they can't go to the ones in my home country. They have an intention of returning back since the salary in Eastern Europe is sh**. The problem is, they can't pass the medical license exam meaning they're nothing more than someone who's a graduate from an 'easy' school. Plus, schools in Eastern Europe say they have English courses but how good are they? A Polish friend of mine told me that English Medical Courses in Poland are not well regarded as the Polish ones since the faculty speaks sh** English. If I were you, I wouldn't study Medicine in Eastern Europe. Maybe Germany is a better option. But you'll have to learn German and work your ass off if you want to continue your course.
thanks for the advice 😁
WhoDaresWins
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by premedmath)
You're talking about the incapable students, obviously those students who put in more time and effort will succeed. I heard of some guy who graduated from Sofia MU 4 years ago and got a residency in Switzerland. Also the UK is going to introduce a new UKMLA exam which both UK and Non UK graduates must sit in order to become a doctor here, the UK courses will obviously prepare you for it but again, the international students who put the time and effort in will succeed.
georgelagalle
Rep:
?
(Original post by WhoDaresWins)
You're talking about the incapable students, obviously those students who put in more time and effort will succeed. I heard of some guy who graduated from Sofia MU 4 years ago and got a residency in Switzerland. Also the UK is going to introduce a new UKMLA exam which both UK and Non UK graduates must sit in order to become a doctor here, the UK courses will obviously prepare you for it but again, the international students who put the time and effort in will succeed.
Thank you for this reply, this has given me more of an insight into what to expect when I graduate.
WhoDaresWins
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by georgelagalle)
Thank you for this reply, this has given me more of an insight into what to expect when I graduate.
http://www.valuemd.com/bulgarian-med...y-plovdiv.html

Read the comments by the user called devildoc8404, he is the guy I was talking about.
arista29
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Am alumni from MUS. Practicing physician and came out just fine in the end. Went through on the English program. Expect a decent amount of study on your own time. Some profs as I recall were very good, some courses not so much. Decent medicine on the whole but there is a loss of quality due to language issues I think. A lot of self motivation required. BG is not easy for foreigners in general.
MirzaVlogs
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by georgelagalle)
I'm considering studying medicine in Bulgaria (2018 entry), Sofia to be specific. I am thinking of applying to Sofia Medical University through Study Medicine Europe. I just have a few questions; How good is Sofia Medical University? Is Study Medicine Europe reliable? Are Study Medicine Europe able to supply me with a good service?
Hi buddy. So I am currently a 3rd year dental student here at MUS. I went through SME myself and for a year I worked as their City Manager (the guy you would see giving a lengthy speech and advice at the open day). To now, SME has not had issues with getting you past the application stage. If you have further enquiries feel free to email me or check out my YT channel - I did a vlog on a few questions from current 1st year students. Regards, MirzaVlogs
georgelagalle
Rep:
?
(Original post by MirzaVlogs)
Hi buddy. So I am currently a 3rd year dental student here at MUS. I went through SME myself and for a year I worked as their City Manager (the guy you would see giving a lengthy speech and advice at the open day). To now, SME has not had issues with getting you past the application stage however they can't help you through the exam. If you have further enquiries feel free to email me or check out my YT channel - I did a vlog on a few questions from current 1st year students.regards, MirzaVlogs
Thanks, I’ll check out your channel 😊
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
WhoDaresWins
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MirzaVlogs)
Hi buddy. So I am currently a 3rd year dental student here at MUS. I went through SME myself and for a year I worked as their City Manager (the guy you would see giving a lengthy speech and advice at the open day). To now, SME has not had issues with getting you past the application stage however they can't help you through the exam. If you have further enquiries feel free to email me or check out my YT channel - I did a vlog on a few questions from current 1st year students.regards, MirzaVlogs
Oh man that introduction was hilarious :lol::lol:
AsalaR
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Please stay away from Sofia University. What a dreadful place this so-called university is. They have been in the bulgarian news because they've had so many scandals regarding corruption and have been in the news consistently regarding corruption this past year.

Right click in google chrome to translate:

Greek student with a secret camera recording the scandal by interhecs and sofia uni and plovdiv uni
https://gospodari.com/mobile/скрита-...eom139639.html

Police closed down the uni
https://www.vesti.bg/bulgaria/dans-i...rsitet-6071848

Police raided the uni
http://medicalnews.bg/blog/2018/01/1...%D0%B0-%D0%B2/
georgelagalle
Rep:
?
Wow, thanks so much. Btw I’m not doing medicine anymore but thanks anyway 👍🏼
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (180)
12.71%
Excited (116)
8.19%
Worried (265)
18.71%
Terrified (331)
23.38%
Meh (114)
8.05%
Confused (33)
2.33%