Training Contract 2020 Watch

greenandblue345
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by greenlettuce)
Hi, I was just wondering whether you did any prep for the Herbert Smith Freehills verbal reasoning test? Was it law related text as well please? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Hi, I recommend you do some practice tests (there is a practice run on the Herbert Smith Freehills' website) and then be careful about your time keeping for the real thing. Feeling comfortable with the format of the verbal reasoning test is really useful. Hope that helps
The Demogorgon
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Has anyone had an interview with Shearman and Sterling for their winter vac scheme?
fullestmender1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi all, Pretty new to all this, I've a 2.1 law degree and an MA and currently work in-house legal at a bank. I work daily with MC and SC firms, applied for contracts all last year and no bites apart from a few Watson Glaser tests (though from reading discussions on this that sounds like a fairly standard filter). I've decent extra-curriculars.

Any advice for apps this year? I have a 2.2 in first yr and second yr, third and fourth yr were solid 2.1 (66 overall) - I did a 4 yr law degree. I think it may be the 2.2s that are holding me back.

Thanks in advance.
J-SP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by fullestmender1)
Hi all, Pretty new to all this, I've a 2.1 law degree and an MA and currently work in-house legal at a bank. I work daily with MC and SC firms, applied for contracts all last year and no bites apart from a few Watson Glaser tests (though from reading discussions on this that sounds like a fairly standard filter). I've decent extra-curriculars.

Any advice for apps this year? I have a 2.2 in first yr and second yr, third and fourth yr were solid 2.1 (66 overall) - I did a 4 yr law degree. I think it may be the 2.2s that are holding me back.

Thanks in advance.
Really doubt it is the 2.2a holding you back, especially given your subsequent 2.1 grades.

Will depend on the individual results in those years though.

Will also depend on your other work experience, and how long you have been in your current job. Simple things like your motivations/written style are more than not the deciding factor given what you have said.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
fullestmender1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by J-SP)
Really doubt it is the 2.2a holding you back, especially given your subsequent 2.1 grades.

Will also depend on your other work experience, and how long you have been in your current job. Simple things like your motivations/written style are more than not the deciding factor given what you have said.
Ok thanks a million! I'll bear that in mind when applying. Been in my current job 18 months, former tour guide of two cities so I milk that for communication, people skills etc. 2.2s mixed with low 2.1s in first and second yr, a 3 in contract law.

I'll keep the head up and motor on anyway! I think I'll focus more on smaller firms, not the links and shearmans, for now. Thanks!
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ok thanks a million! I'll bear that in mind when applying. Been in my current job 18 months, former tour guide of two cities so I milk that for communication, people skills etc. 2.2s mixed with low 2.1s in first and second yr, a 3 in contract law.

I'll keep the head up and motor on anyway! I think I'll focus more on smaller firms, not the links and shearmans, for now. Thanks!
The third in contract might be the killer rather than the overall 2.2 in one year.

I’d recommend networking with firms more to try and get them look past the grades.
lawdreams
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by J-SP)

A silly question, but what do you mean by written style? I get no slang, proper prose, well constructed, logical, no waffle, concise, etc. But from your perspective... is there anything else you would consider?
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lawdreams)
A silly question, but what do you mean by written style? I get no slang, proper prose, well constructed, logical, no waffle, concise, etc. But from your perspective... is there anything else you would consider?
Evidence based
Persuasiveness
Lack of repetition
Prioritisation
Tone
Flow
fullestmender1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by J-SP)
The third in contract might be the killer rather than the overall 2.2 in one year.

I’d recommend networking with firms more to try and get them look past the grades.
Right - thanks. So annoying how a first yr grade could be holding me back.

How would you recommend networking? FB, LinkedIn or something more? Also how highly would you recommend vac schemes for obtaining and eventual TC? Obviously I'm working full time so they'd be difficult...
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Right - thanks. So annoying how a first yr grade could be holding me back.

How would you recommend networking? FB, LinkedIn or something more? Also how highly would you recommend vac schemes for obtaining and eventual TC? Obviously I'm working full time so they'd be difficult...
It doesn’t help that it is contract. Any other module (minus tort) would have been much less of an issue.

LinkedIn, open days, recruitment events, alumni networks via your uni. If you are working with these lawyers though, your prime ability to network is on the job.

Depends on the firm you are applying to. Some recruit heavily or exclusively from vacation schemes, so in those cases they are going to be vital.

Firms with a higher proportion of TC places than vac scheme places will be far less of an issue though.
Nubian Rapunzel
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Has anybody applied to Jones Day or Clifford Chance? I passed the Watson Glaser for CC but haven’t heard anything since
bluedraycott
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Nubian Rapunzel)
Has anybody applied to Jones Day or Clifford Chance? I passed the Watson Glaser for CC but haven’t heard anything since
Have heard on another thread that CC will be sending out invites/rejections in the next two weeks
The Lawyer Portal
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi all,

Just a quick one to share with those of you currently taking Watson Glaser Tests our new, free Watson Glaser Practice Test which you can take here.

It breaks down each of your answers and shows you how your score compares to others that have taken the test.

I hope it's useful for those of you preparing at the moment!

The Lawyer Portal
EKaEn
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi All,

Has anyone heard from Freshfields and / or HSF yet? Preferably from people that submitted apps late November. thanks in advance.
Questionasker2
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, has anyone heard from Clifford chance regarding assessment days for their 2020 training contract?
Questionasker2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by bluedraycott)
Have heard on another thread that CC will be sending out invites/rejections in the next two weeks
Heard anything?
bluedraycott
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Questionasker2)
Heard anything?
nope
EKaEn
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Questionasker2)
Heard anything?
You guys did their video interviews already, right?
Questionasker2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by EKaEn)
You guys did their video interviews already, right?
There isn’t one for the TC app, I’ve passed the WG and now waiting for an invite/rejection
hattiefem
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Has anyone else received a WG invite from Freshfields? Heard of one person on another thread but no one else, wondering if this means it's prob a PFO for me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (164)
18.45%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (90)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.65%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (129)
14.51%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.56%
How can I be the best version of myself? (273)
30.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed