Training Contract 2020 Watch

lawdreams
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Im most likely done applying for vacations schemes. Any particular approaches or tactics or suggestions when applying for direct TCs? Any lists or information out there of ones to avoid because all will be recruited from VS? Should you apply sooner rather than later or can you wait till the summer (assuming no VS offer)?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
J-SP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lawdreams)
Im most likely done applying for vacations schemes. Any particular approaches or tactics or suggestions when applying for direct TCs? Any lists or information out there of ones to avoid because all will be recruited from VS? Should you apply sooner rather than later or can you wait till the summer (assuming no VS offer)?
Unfortunately the Lawyer2B seem to have ditched their TC comparison tool which was pretty useful in seeing the stats of VS to TC places and VS to TC coversion rates.... not sure if there is another one around.

But my advice would be to look at TC numbers, divide by 2/3rds and then divide that figure by three quarters and that will be roughly the amount of VS people they convert to TC who then accept (e.g 50 vac schemers would probably result in roughly 33 offers, which would result in 25 people accepting the offer). Obviously if that figure is a similar number or higher than the number of TC places they have in total, there is not going to be much chance of securing a direct TC.

When to apply - really depends on whether your application will be strengthed over the next 4-6 months. If it is (e.g. stronger grades, work experience) then it might be worthwhile waiting until later on.
lawdreams
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Received the following from Baker Mackenzie just now. Mine was a direct TC app. I understand they have additional screens such as video interview. So email to be taken at face value??

Thank you very much for your application for a Training Contract at Baker McKenzie

We appreciate you haven't heard from us in a while, but we wanted to thank you for your patience and let you know that your application is really important to us.

We have received a huge volume of applications and the Graduate Recruitment team are currently in the process of reviewing them all. We will notify you on the progress of your application as soon as possible.

As always, if you have any questions then please don't hesitate to contact one of the Graduate Recruitment team through this e-mail address or by calling us directly on xxx.
RaisedByWolves
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by bluedraycott)
Have heard on another thread that CC will be sending out invites/rejections in the next two weeks
I received an email from Clifford Chance today inviting me to an assessment centre. Hopefully you will hear soon too. All the best with your application.
Nubian Rapunzel
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Rejections from Clifford Chance and Jones Day today
RaisedByWolves
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I got rejected from Jones Day today too. Where else have you applied?
Questionasker2
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
still haven't heard anything from Clifford chance, hoping no news is good news but I highly doubt that to be true.
The Demogorgon
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi guys,

Has anyone by chance done a Mishcon de Reya video interview? I've got mine coming up in a few days and I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks in advance.
hattiefem
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Questionasker2)
still haven't heard anything from Clifford chance, hoping no news is good news but I highly doubt that to be true.
have you heard yet?
bluedraycott
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hattiefem)
have you heard yet?
I haven’t heard anything from CC about my TC app and it’s almost 5
hattiefem
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by bluedraycott)
I haven’t heard anything from CC about my TC app and it’s almost 5
Same
ducky789
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hattiefem)
Has anyone else received a WG invite from Freshfields? Heard of one person on another thread but no one else, wondering if this means it's prob a PFO for me.
Don't worry, FF posted on their twitter feed saying they're making the effort to reply vac scheme applications first. TC applications should get a reply by the end of this month. All the best and keep going X
RaisedByWolves
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ducky789)
Don't worry, FF posted on their twitter feed saying they're making the effort to reply vac scheme applications first. TC applications should get a reply by the end of this month. All the best and keep going X
They've sent some of their Watson Glaser tests out, as my friend and I have until tomorrow morning at 9 to complete ours. Must just have been luck that mine was looked at first, as yes they will generally sort the vac schemes out first.
EKaEn
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you people think there's any point in applying to Travers Smith / Macfarlanes so late in? They are technically open until July but they recruit on the rolling basis and it seems they already started ACs.

Thanks!
RaisedByWolves
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by EKaEn)
Do you people think there's any point in applying to Travers Smith / Macfarlanes so late in? They are technically open until July but they recruit on the rolling basis and it seems they already started ACs.

Thanks!
In my opinion it's definitely worth applying. I applied to Travers Smith in March last year and ended up having a final round interview in April. I didn't get it, but my point is that even by that time there were still places available. The majority of people will not have applied for training contracts yet, so even though firms may have started assessment centres, they will have only held a couple, and certainly they'll be spaces up for grabs! Get in there before the Easter vac scheme people attend!
EKaEn
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by RaisedByWolves)
In my opinion it's definitely worth applying. I applied to Travers Smith in March last year and ended up having a final round interview in April. I didn't get it, but my point is that even by that time there were still places available. The majority of people will not have applied for training contracts yet, so even though firms may have started assessment centres, they will have only held a couple, and certainly they'll be spaces up for grabs! Get in there before the Easter vac scheme people attend!
thank you so much! I am applying from overseas so the whole process is a bit alien to me.
ducky789
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi there, just out of curiosity is everyone applying for TCs here in their second or third year?
RaisedByWolves
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ducky789)
Hi there, just out of curiosity is everyone applying for TCs here in their second or third year?
No, I'm currently working full time as a paralegal and studying the LPC part time. Many people I know are applying as graduates.
ducky789
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by RaisedByWolves)
No, I'm currently working full time as a paralegal and studying the LPC part time. Many people I know are applying as graduates.
Btw from your earlier replies it seems that you've applied to Freshfields for their TC too! May I ask whether you applied the London-Asia one or just the pure London one?
Gladstone87
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've just received my Freshfields WG invite today. I applied straight for a TC
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (164)
18.45%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (90)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.65%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (129)
14.51%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.56%
How can I be the best version of myself? (273)
30.71%

Watched Threads