The Student Room Group

Sexuality

How do I become more comfortable in my sexuality as a bisexual female?
Original post by Anonymous

By accepting yourself. Same as in any relationship.

Maybe get involved in the LGBTQ+ community - see if you can find some people who are also bisexual you can talk to. There are lots of online forums and Facebook groups you can join. That will help get you talking about your sexuality and being more comfortable with being open with it.

In general, these things just come with time. Some people are very comfortable with their sexuality from the outset, while others take a while to get their head around it. But talking about it and being open are good ways of doing that. After a while you probably won't think about it much!
Reply 3
Sometimes I feel like I'm comfortable with it and then other times I don't, I start to feel ashamed of it again. It's something I really struggle with. Wish I could be more open about it.
Sometimes I feel like I'm comfortable with it and then other times I don't, I start to feel ashamed of it again. It's something I really struggle with. Wish I could be more open about it.

Why do you feel ashamed?

Narrow it down to where you have learned this behaviour from? Is it school? Home? Church? Friends?

Somebody, somewhere has taught you a judgement based on something that they clearly know nothing about. Let it go. Be yourself.
Reply 5
I guess because all of my friends talk about guys all the time and I think it would be strange for me to come out and talk about a girl I liked. It would seem alien to them and to me to speak openly about liking a girl to them.
I think once you've gotten over the initial hurdle of accepting it as totally normal and speaking openly about it for the first time, then it will be easier and easier after that. Maybe start off talking to a friend one-on-one about a girl that you like and practise with saying it to one person before you talk to a group of friends about it. There's nothing to feel ashamed about, and I think you'll be surprised with how at-ease their reactions would be.
I guess because all of my friends talk about guys all the time and I think it would be strange for me to come out and talk about a girl I liked. It would seem alien to them and to me to speak openly about liking a girl to them.

If you don't want to tell your friends yet and you want to join in the conversation just omit a gender and say they.

"Oh I love it when they walk in front of me." "I didn't concentrate for a whole class because someone was distracting me."

Don't feel like you have to say anything that you don't want to.

But if they're good friends they'll probably be pretty supportive if you do decide to tell them.
Reply 8
My biggest fear is if I tell a close friend that maybe they will hold it against me or it will cause me to become paranoid that they might say something... and I don't know if I'd cope with that too well haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending