TheMidwife
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey, everyone, I'm currently in sixth-form studying Health and social care level 3 (equivalent to 3 A-levels if anyone's wondering) and I'm in year 12 and it has always been my dream to become a midwife. However, I keep hearing that midwifery has become really competitive and it's really hard for young students like me to get straight into a midwifery course after finishing sixth-form. Apparently, nowadays universities look for applicants who are over the age of 25 or so with kids because they'll have more experience than 18-year-olds. They are also afraid of the high drop-out rate. I'm starting to work as a care worker next week so I'll essentially have two years of experience as a care worker when I apply to the midwifery course. I just want to ask if this is true and if I would be accepted into universities if I have the qualifications and the experience. One girl from my sixth-form had amazing GCSE grades and BTEC grades and she got rejected by all of the universities that she applied to and the next year when she applied to King's college for Nursing she was accepted so I'm literally freaking out and I don't know what to do! One of my teachers suggested that doing a nursing course and working for 2-3 years as a registered nurse and then if apply for the midwifery shortened course it'll be easier for me to get in. However, I don't want to was nearly 2 years. Can someone give me some advice or any thought that they might have on this matter?
Thanks!
bethanyhelina
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, I can see where you're coming from with your worries about not getting in first time. However, as long as you have the qualifications and relevant experience and have all the right qualities when assessed in the interview you should be ok getting a place as a student midwife. If you struggle to get midwifery experience make sure in your interview and personal statement you emphasise why you want to be a midwife and talk about transferable skills gained from your work experience, e.g compassion, empathy, safeguarding, acting as an advocate etc. I'm a student children's nurse and there's a few school leavers on the midwifery course in my year! Same goes for children's nursing, there's limited places on my course but there's at least 12 school leavers in my cohort! Good luck!
TheMidwife
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by bethanyhelina)
Hi, I can see where you're coming from with your worries about not getting in first time. However, as long as you have the qualifications and relevant experience and have all the right qualities when assessed in the interview you should be ok getting a place as a student midwife. If you struggle to get midwifery experience make sure in your interview and personal statement you emphasise why you want to be a midwife and talk about transferable skills gained from your work experience, e.g compassion, empathy, safeguarding, acting as an advocate etc. I'm a student children's nurse and there's a few school leavers on the midwifery course in my year! Same goes for children's nursing, there's limited places on my course but there's at least 12 school leavers in my cohort! Good luck!
Thanks for answering my question! I'll definitely try to get some relevant work experience before applying!
Sanjuan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
1) Universities do not prefer over 25's
2) people who advise you to do nursing first lack insight to the role of a midwife
3) Yes midwifery is VERY competitive
If you seek opportunity to work with a midwife either voluntarily or through a supporting role that will help your application. If you can convey your passion for midwifery at interview and have a clear understanding of the role of a midwife you will do well.
When you get an interview read around current midwifery practice and show passion for the role, you will be head and shoulders above the rest. If you can convey how your skills as a care worker would transfer to your role of a midwife you will get a place in uni.
Just realised I'm a year behind on this thread
tittietracy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Sanjuan

University not preferring over 25 year olds ?? Not exactly true as I'm over that and doing my midwife nursing training at present and there's others older than myself in my course year doing it as well.
Yes its can be competitively.

If person seeking a career in midwifery or nursing then best to try and get a job as an auxiliary type nurse and get some training/practice behind her as would be helpful.
Sanjuan
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by tittietracy)
Sanjuan

University not preferring over 25 year olds ?? Not exactly true as I'm over that and doing my midwife nursing training at present and there's others older than myself in my course year doing it as well.
Yes its can be competitively.

If person seeking a career in midwifery or nursing then best to try and get a job as an auxiliary type nurse and get some training/practice behind her as would be helpful.
As a former over 25 student who is now a midwife and also interviews potential student midwives I can tell you that there is no preference to age I think you'll find there are acts of parliament to prevent such discrimination. You are either training to be a nurse OR a midwife in the UK, the training is completely different and if you think they are interchangeable you are in for a very big shock. If we interview people who give nursing based answers for midwifery place you will not get a foot through the door, but then I can only speak for a few different universities that I have personal experience of. Yes, if you want to be a nurse, go get an auxillary job but unless you can relate that experience to the role of a midwife at interview you are wasting your time.
Sherryl
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
That’s not true..they don’t always want older students.

I’m 19 and I applied for midwifery and got 4/5 interviews and so far one offer🎉 I don’t have the best GCSE grades but my BTEC grades are good. I went out my way to get experience at a post natal ward and I have other experience such as duke of Edinburgh.

The advice I’ll give you is to go for it! You have got experience now and they like young students that have went out there way to gain experience. Just read up on midwifery and know why you want to be a midwife and you’ll be fine😊

Your teacher has a point tho but midwifery is competitive but it isn’t impossible to get in. Go for what you want! If nursing isn’t something you see yourself doing or something you know you may not enjoy then don’t do it. Go for your dream which is to become a midwife.

I was told to go the nursing route but thank God I didn’t! I took the risk and applied.

You’ll be fine 😊
tittietracy
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
SherryI

Hi
You could had said any better words honey,
You follow the dream you wanting and go for it.
Its not just a career for young students but the door is open for anyone of age and I am just over 30 and I am about to finish my dream of being a midwife and its been fantastic to and the right choice made after delaying the urge in applying.

I had choice of nursing or midwifery and I took midwife route as more pleasing job, if I had only the one choice I would have still taken it and then apply to do the other one later on.
I have three students in my year who are in there forties and one in there fifties who are doing midwifery and its not stopped them enjoying it.

Any 4/5 interviews and one offer is great but not a lot to shout about but remember a offer is a offer, could be worse for you as could be 5/5 offers and making a choice would be harder to make.

Hope you enjoying your experience so far and hope you'll enjoy the next three years or so ahead as a student midwife and the hardest part is at the end of the studying as getting a job fulltime, I heard that if all of the third years students pass there finals in midwifery nursing they are may not get a job dispite the NHS saying they needing more but local health boards are the problem due to lack of funding for fulltime places as some are using the students instead - find it disappointing after studying for three years you not assured a job....

Well await and see what happens over the coming months.

Good luck wherever you going to study ok xx
Richfx
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by TheMidwife)
Hey, everyone, I'm currently in sixth-form studying Health and social care level 3 (equivalent to 3 A-levels if anyone's wondering) and I'm in year 12 and it has always been my dream to become a midwife. However, I keep hearing that midwifery has become really competitive and it's really hard for young students like me to get straight into a midwifery course after finishing sixth-form. Apparently, nowadays universities look for applicants who are over the age of 25 or so with kids because they'll have more experience than 18-year-olds. They are also afraid of the high drop-out rate. I'm starting to work as a care worker next week so I'll essentially have two years of experience as a care worker when I apply to the midwifery course. I just want to ask if this is true and if I would be accepted into universities if I have the qualifications and the experience. One girl from my sixth-form had amazing GCSE grades and BTEC grades and she got rejected by all of the universities that she applied to and the next year when she applied to King's college for Nursing she was accepted so I'm literally freaking out and I don't know what to do! One of my teachers suggested that doing a nursing course and working for 2-3 years as a registered nurse and then if apply for the midwifery shortened course it'll be easier for me to get in. However, I don't want to was nearly 2 years. Can someone give me some advice or any thought that they might have on this matter?
Thanks!
Hey! That’s not true at all, someone told me that when I was at college 5 years ago, which is why I didn’t apply, they tried to get me to apply for nursing then do the 18 month extension on midwifery but I didn’t want to do nursing as I’m not passionate about it so I went into full time work. However I’m now 24 and I’ve had an interview at one Uni for midwifery and there was lots of young girls who will be going straight from college there at the interview. It’s all about your personal statement and you as a whole. Nothing to do with your age or if you already have kids. If it’s what you want to do then I would apply! I wish I did all those years ago now! X
Richfx
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Sherryl)
That’s not true..they don’t always want older students.

I’m 19 and I applied for midwifery and got 4/5 interviews and so far one offer🎉 I don’t have the best GCSE grades but my BTEC grades are good. I went out my way to get experience at a post natal ward and I have other experience such as duke of Edinburgh.

The advice I’ll give you is to go for it! You have got experience now and they like young students that have went out there way to gain experience. Just read up on midwifery and know why you want to be a midwife and you’ll be fine😊

Your teacher has a point tho but midwifery is competitive but it isn’t impossible to get in. Go for what you want! If nursing isn’t something you see yourself doing or something you know you may not enjoy then don’t do it. Go for your dream which is to become a midwife.

I was told to go the nursing route but thank God I didn’t! I took the risk and applied.

You’ll be fine 😊
That’s amazing, where have you applied to? 😊
Sherryl
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
SherryI

Hi
You could had said any better words honey,
You follow the dream you wanting and go for it.
Its not just a career for young students but the door is open for anyone of age and I am just over 30 and I am about to finish my dream of being a midwife and its been fantastic to and the right choice made after delaying the urge in applying.

I had choice of nursing or midwifery and I took midwife route as more pleasing job, if I had only the one choice I would have still taken it and then apply to do the other one later on.
I have three students in my year who are in there forties and one in there fifties who are doing midwifery and its not stopped them enjoying it.

Any 4/5 interviews and one offer is great but not a lot to shout about but remember a offer is a offer, could be worse for you as could be 5/5 offers and making a choice would be harder to make.

Hope you enjoying your experience so far and hope you'll enjoy the next three years or so ahead as a student midwife and the hardest part is at the end of the studying as getting a job fulltime, I heard that if all of the third years students pass there finals in midwifery nursing they are may not get a job dispite the NHS saying they needing more but local health boards are the problem due to lack of funding for fulltime places as some are using the students instead - find it disappointing after studying for three years you not assured a job....

Well await and see what happens over the coming months.

Good luck wherever you going to study ok xx
Hi

I’m happy you went for your dream to become a midwife and you’ll be finishing soon! That’s amazing. I’m so grateful to even have one offer so far and it’s my first choice aswell but the other unis will get back to me soon

I hope I’ll enjoy the next three years too because I have heard it’s difficult but have you enjoyed your experience as a student midwife?
And I’ve heard about people finding it difficult to get a job after the course which is a bit scary but hopefully things will go to plan and you’ll find a job if you haven’t already xx

Thank you Tracy xxx
Sherryl
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Richfx)
That’s amazing, where have you applied to? 😊
I applied to

University of Worcester
University of Greenwich
University of Bournemouth
Sheffield Hallam University
Keele University
tittietracy
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Sherryl

Hi tracy x

Thanks for your reply back,

Glad you got one offer and its better than no offer, if you get the chance just take it honey, you awaiting the other four university to get back to you but unless you have a deadline to accept the offer you have then you'll have to gamble on taking it if you not got any offer from the rest.

Its been fantastic over the three years for me and its been long hours, lots of studying and its worth it for me like, some of the younger girls struggled with just the long hours as I'm doing 12.5 hours shifts three days a week plus day at university on top and I'm holding down a futttime part-time job at weekend to,
I thoroughly enjoyed the delivery's side as its amazing thinking how a baby appears, all the effects is worthwhile,

Don't go into this with your eyes closed as you'll find it going to be hard going with studying and the placements as well as each hospital teach slightly different from last one you been in, enjpoy the long hours as well as I'm doing 7.15am - 7.45pm, last month or so I did night shifts and that's from 7.45am - 7.15am and vice versa , doing one nightshift Monday night, off Tuesday in dayshift Wednesday and Friday this week, then its Saturday nightshift, Monday dayshift, Tuesday dayshift and off till the following Sunday as three dayshift on the trott.
The shifts varies everyweek, you can't run awasy home at end of your shift if girl about to deliver her baby, its part of life in nursing.

There's only a handful of fulltime midwives jobs available in coming months and there's more students qualifying than there be jobs, its scary not knowing what's ahead, I'm was wandering if can't get a midwife job can I apply for a general nursing post with just my midwife qualification as no previous experience in nursing as I worked in retail since I left school many moons ago like. At worse I can return fulltime to the retail side until something comes up but its not what I want.

Yeah its a difficult environment to get into as I hear people saying that they went down the nursing route first and then apply for to do the midwifery training later over a 18 - 24 months period..

Anyway good luck ok
Where are you going to study about.

Tracy xxx
Sanjuan
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Sherryl

Hi tracy x

Glad you got one offer and its better than no offer, if you get the chance just take it honey, you awaiting the other four university to get back to you but unless you have a deadline to accept the offer you have then you'll have to gamble on taking it if you not got any offer from the rest.

Its been fantastic over the three years for me and its been long hours, lots of studying and its worth it for me like, some of the younger girls struggled with just the long hours as I'm doing 12.5 hours shifts three days a week plus day at university on top and I'm holding down a futttime part-time job at weekend to,
I thoroughly enjoyed the delivery's side as its amazing thinking how a baby appears, all the effects is worthwhile,

Don't go into this with your eyes closed as you'll find it going to be hard going with studying and the placements as well as each hospital teach slightly different from last one you been in, enjpoy the long hours as well as I'm doing 7.15am - 7.45pm, last month or so I did night shifts and that's from 7.45am - 7.15am and vice versa , doing one nightshift Monday night, off Tuesday in dayshift Wednesday and Friday this week, then its Saturday nightshift, Monday dayshift, Tuesday dayshift and off till the following Sunday as three dayshift on the trott.
The shifts varies everyweek, you can't run awasy home at end of your shift if girl about to deliver her baby, its part of life in nursing.

There's only a handful of fulltime midwives jobs available in coming months and there's more students qualifying than there be jobs, its scary not knowing what's ahead, I'm was wandering if can't get a midwife job can I apply for a general nursing post with just my midwife qualification as no previous experience in nursing as I worked in retail since I left school many moons ago like. At worse I can return fulltime to the retail side until something comes up but its not what I want.

Yeah its a difficult environment to get into as I hear people saying that they went down the nursing route first and then apply for to do the midwifery training later over a 18 - 24 months period..

Anyway good luck ok

Tracy xxx
you can't apply for a general nursing job with a midwifery degree, you can apply to be a neonatal nurse though.
tittietracy
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Sanjuan

Thanks for that information and I will take a note of that and look into this as soon as I can ok.
Yeah I gathered this but wasn't 100% sure as know people who did the nursing course and then went down the midwife route but I was only offered the midwife qualification route as I couldn't get a place on nursing course as full at the time in my own city and hence I took the offer of midwifery training in edinburgh, I would had prefer to did it opposite way round but couldn't be fussy about getting offered a place on my second choice but no pregrets as enjoyed the course .

Again thanks for information you said ok
Sherryl
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Sherryl

Hi tracy x

Anyway good luck ok

Tracy xxx
I definitely know where I’d like to go but I’ll just find it tricky picking an insurance choice ☺️ I’m so excited but nervous at the same time but it’s so amazing that you were able to balance a part-time job alongside your assignments/placement!!! That’s really good! I wouldn’t be able to I’ll struggle a little 😅😬

I’m aware of the challenges of the course but I’ll definitely take on board the advice you have given me! X

Hopefully something does come up! So you wouldn’t have to return to retail. Just be positive Tracy 😊xx
tittietracy
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Sheryl
Hi tracy,

Thanks for your kind words of hope and I will keep fingers cross that something does comes up.
If you have a first choice preference and you have got that choice after the process then jump to it honey, but you'll have to of course look into what the others are and do they meet your requirements. At least you understand that it going to be hard going and some do struggle with dealing with juggling there studying and the placements, you may find its easier yourself to deal with ( only saying like as not suggesting its going to be easy ), You may have to use your backup ( insurance) to do the course you'll wanting to do at another university but hope you'll get first choice.

Yeah having been doing retail work fulltime for almost 13 years before going part-time to concertrate on nursing ( first choice adult nursing in my home city of glasgow ) being rejected due to course being full left me without hesitation in taking the second choice of midwifery in edinburgh was a no brainer as I waited long enough in life to do nursing so wasn't rejecting the chance because of nothing in home city like, was lucky enough that my boss in store managed to get me a transferable place in a edinburgh store for weekends and I wasn't worried if didn't as I would have done my nursing only but yeah appreciated his help, its not that I needed money to help with the student course as I was ok there,but it kept me in a good place for employment if I ever needed a fulltime job in future if nothing materialised in the nursing side.
Its not been easy but now I been doing weekends and nightshifts more recently its becoming a problem with the retail job but I spoken to management there and sorting things out so I work on days off instead for time being, suppose its now life for being a nurse and this is something you can't avid on midwifery as part of the course.

Anyway again good luck to you and hope you get your preferred choice

Keep me inform if possible

Tracy xxxxxxc
Sherryl
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Sheryl
Hi tracy,

Thanks for your kind words of hope and I will keep fingers cross that something does comes up.
If you have a first choice preference and you have got that choice after the process then jump to it honey, but you'll have to of course look into what the others are and do they meet your requirements. At least you understand that it going to be hard going and some do struggle with dealing with juggling there studying and the placements, you may find its easier yourself to deal with ( only saying like as not suggesting its going to be easy ), You may have to use your backup ( insurance) to do the course you'll wanting to do at another university but hope you'll get first choice.

Yeah having been doing retail work fulltime for almost 13 years before going part-time to concertrate on nursing ( first choice adult nursing in my home city of glasgow ) being rejected due to course being full left me without hesitation in taking the second choice of midwifery in edinburgh was a no brainer as I waited long enough in life to do nursing so wasn't rejecting the chance because of nothing in home city like, was lucky enough that my boss in store managed to get me a transferable place in a edinburgh store for weekends and I wasn't worried if didn't as I would have done my nursing only but yeah appreciated his help, its not that I needed money to help with the student course as I was ok there,but it kept me in a good place for employment if I ever needed a fulltime job in future if nothing materialised in the nursing side.
Its not been easy but now I been doing weekends and nightshifts more recently its becoming a problem with the retail job but I spoken to management there and sorting things out so I work on days off instead for time being, suppose its now life for being a nurse and this is something you can't avid on midwifery as part of the course.

Anyway again good luck to you and hope you get your preferred choice

Keep me inform if possible

Tracy xxxxxxc
Hello Tracy, So sorry for the late response! X

Yeah I’m looking into both unis that I would like to go to just so I have an idea on what they both have to offer me and what I’ll be doing over the 3 years.

One thing I can say I’m worried about is the maths side in the course because I kinda struggle with maths

Yeah I think getting a job alongside this course isn’t a good idea at all for me and 13 years is a long time for retail, I really pray you get into a midwifery job straight after *fingers crossed*

Thank you and I’ll definitely be informing you on what happens xxxx
tittietracy
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi sherlyl
Tracy

Thanks for you message once more and its good that you going to look into the other universities to see your options & choices it will offer you over the next three years or so,

If you having maths trouble, then I can only suggest a idea to you ( please don't take this wrong ok ), have you considered if possible a part-time maths course at local college / or the university you chose to help you with it !! Or do practice maths at home as I think you sound clever enough because you managed to get this far and I wouldn't put yourself down because of minor thing...

Yes doing 13 years full time retail seems long time and also the last three years part-time, its a job at end of the day where I seen it but this situation of doing midwifery nursing isn't helping now as said in previous message as shifts are starting to get in way for nursing but I will maintain doing the tesco job as long as I can as if and when I get a fulltime nursing post I would perhaps considered packing it in just because the shifts will be variable working days. Not many people have a job this length of time in same workplace.

I have just applied for two midwifes posts which are on NHS Scotland website, one I'd for a final year student midwife post (grade 5 ) with NHS Fife ( based in Kirkcaldy) permanent, job closes at end of March, with interviews in April sometime withview of starting in May sometime ( this is my preference as about hour plus travel each way depending on traffic as could be quicker as early starts but catch it home bounds ), the other is for a community base midwife ( grade 6 ) based in North Edinburgh area - more my choice ?? But its all going to be down to experience, this post has been advertised few times over the last six months or so and I am wondering if the candidate chosing pull out for obviously reasonsreasons ( closing date tomorrow 14th ), but if you don't apply for vacancies then you don't know ) .

Don't be afraid to do weekend part time work alongside the nursing training if you want to. I'm brave and capable enough to continue my tesco job at weekends as the money helps to pay for extra things etc, but to be honest I was at the time of getting accepted for nursing going to chuck it but its was my boss in glasgow who said that if possible why not continue it because you do get students looking for part time work to subsidies the university / college fees, hence why I did.

Anyway its appreciated that you find time to reply to me as like myself I find time during break time til I'm home, on breaks just now and finish around 7.15pm and off till Friday.....

Don't worry about you replying back late as I understand you'll have things to do,

PM via here if you preferred to like.
I'm glad you getting some advice from myself as that's what its about to help others possible as I would hope you would have done same thing for me.

Differently keep me inform about things ok

tracy xxxxx
Sherryl
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi sherlyl
Tracy

Thanks for you message once more and its good that you going to look into the other universities to see your options & choices it will offer you over the next three years or so,

If you having maths trouble, then I can only suggest a idea to you ( please don't take this wrong ok ), have you considered if possible a part-time maths course at local college / or the university you chose to help you with it !! Or do practice maths at home as I think you sound clever enough because you managed to get this far and I wouldn't put yourself down because of minor thing...

Yes doing 13 years full time retail seems long time and also the last three years part-time, its a job at end of the day where I seen it but this situation of doing midwifery nursing isn't helping now as said in previous message as shifts are starting to get in way for nursing but I will maintain doing the tesco job as long as I can as if and when I get a fulltime nursing post I would perhaps considered packing it in just because the shifts will be variable working days. Not many people have a job this length of time in same workplace.

I have just applied for two midwifes posts which are on NHS Scotland website, one I'd for a final year student midwife post (grade 5 ) with NHS Fife ( based in Kirkcaldy) permanent, job closes at end of March, with interviews in April sometime withview of starting in May sometime ( this is my preference as about hour plus travel each way depending on traffic as could be quicker as early starts but catch it home bounds ), the other is for a community base midwife ( grade 6 ) based in North Edinburgh area - more my choice ?? But its all going to be down to experience, this post has been advertised few times over the last six months or so and I am wondering if the candidate chosing pull out for obviously reasonsreasons ( closing date tomorrow 14th ), but if you don't apply for vacancies then you don't know ) .

Don't be afraid to do weekend part time work alongside the nursing training if you want to. I'm brave and capable enough to continue my tesco job at weekends as the money helps to pay for extra things etc, but to be honest I was at the time of getting accepted for nursing going to chuck it but its was my boss in glasgow who said that if possible why not continue it because you do get students looking for part time work to subsidies the university / college fees, hence why I did.

Anyway its appreciated that you find time to reply to me as like myself I find time during break time til I'm home, on breaks just now and finish around 7.15pm and off till Friday.....

Don't worry about you replying back late as I understand you'll have things to do,

PM via here if you preferred to like.
I'm glad you getting some advice from myself as that's what its about to help others possible as I would hope you would have done same thing for me.

Differently keep me inform about things ok

tracy xxxxx
Hi Tracy X

It’s okay I understand what you’re saying and I’m getting support with my maths but I’m just not the strongest when it comes to maths.

Yeah I think it’s best to work until you get the full time job so that’s a good idea! That’s great, you applied for 3 full time posts I wish you all the best of luck with that

I’ll think I might get a part time job alongside the course but if I can’t handle the assignments and placement alongside the job then I’ll stop working!

It’s okay, I’ve learnt a lot from you in just a short space of time. Your advice with definitely help me for when I start my course in September so thank you for that x

I’ll pm you , you’re so kinda and helpful! I’ll definitely be informing you about how I get on xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 12 Dec '19
  • Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Musical Theatre Undergraduate
    Fri, 13 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19

Do you work while at uni?