This discussion is closed.
smhn
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Out of curiosity, what would be the "top" ten universities in computer science (ranked from "best" to "worst"). I know that university tables on the guardian and completeuniversityguide are not really a true reflection of the cs department in universities so I want to know the opinions of fellow computer scientists (or anyone else).
smhn
Rep:
?
bump
username1207499
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
UK or international?
Kira Yagami
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Cambridge
Oxford
Imperial
Durham
Warwick
UCL
Southampton

etc...
Princepieman
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by smhn)
Out of curiosity, what would be the "top" ten universities in computer science (ranked from "best" to "worst"). I know that university tables on the guardian and completeuniversityguide are not really a true reflection of the cs department in universities so I want to know the opinions of fellow computer scientists (or anyone else).
In the UK, I'd say the overall strongest departments are:

Cambridge
Imperial
Oxford

Then in no particular order:
Bristol
UCL
Warwick
Edinburgh
Southampton
Manchester
Birmingham
Sheffield
Bath
York
Durham
Glasgow
St Andrews
Nottingham
KCL
Exeter
Leeds
Newcastle
Liverpool
Cardiff
Lancaster
RHUL
QMUL
Loughborough

Any of the above have great courses and departments (albeit some are more theory-heavy than practical et vice versa).

Posted from TSR Mobile
smhn
Rep:
?
(Original post by D3LLI5)
UK or international?
uk
Computer Geek
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'll do an ordered ranking based off of my experience (I've been to/have friends at most of these):

The best of the best (most students from these get considered for internships at the top organisations in the UK quite easily):

Cambridge
(small gap)
Imperial
(big gap)
Oxford
(huge gap)

These are typically target universities for investment banks and technology organisations, the differences between each are pretty minimal:

Southampton
Warwick
UCL
Manchester
Edinburgh
St Andrews
Bristol
Bath
Durham
(massive gap)

These aren't that bad, but are definitely in their own league (gradual drop off in how good each are as you go down):

KCL
QMUL
Birmingham
York
Leeds
Sheffield
Nottingham
Newcastle
Exeter
(Huge huge huge gap)

Then the rest are pretty shocking, I wouldn't spend £28,000+ on a degree from any of them, just a few examples:

Liverpool
Cardiff
Birmingham City
City University London
Westminister
Wolverhampton
randomaccount124
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How about University of Greenwich? (just wondering)
(Original post by Computer Geek)
I'll do an ordered ranking based off of my experience (I've been to/have friends at most of these):

The best of the best (most students from these get considered for internships at the top organisations in the UK quite easily):

Cambridge
(small gap)
Imperial
(big gap)
Oxford
(huge gap)

These are typically target universities for investment banks and technology organisations, the differences between each are pretty minimal:

Southampton
Warwick
UCL
Manchester
Edinburgh
St Andrews
Bristol
Bath
Durham
(massive gap)

These aren't that bad, but are definitely in their own league (gradual drop off in how good each are as you go down):

KCL
QMUL
Birmingham
York
Leeds
Sheffield
Nottingham
Newcastle
Exeter
(Huge huge huge gap)

Then the rest are pretty shocking, I wouldn't spend £28,000+ on a degree from any of them, just a few examples:

Liverpool
Cardiff
Birmingham City
City University London
Westminister
Wolverhampton
Computer Geek
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by randomaccount124)
How about University of Greenwich? (just wondering)
Probably the last group. They don't produce any stellar or exciting research, and at the same time don't produce good graduates either.
M4cc4n4
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Cambridge
(small gap)
Imperial
(big gap)
Oxford
(huge gap)

Southampton
Warwick
UCL
Manchester
Edinburgh
St Andrews
Bristol
Bath
Durham
(massive gap)

KCL
QMUL
Birmingham
York
Leeds
Sheffield
Nottingham
Newcastle
Exeter
(Huge huge huge gap)

Liverpool
Cardiff
Birmingham City
City University London
Westminister
Wolverhampton
What about Queens University Belfast?
Computer Geek
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by M4cc4n4)
What about Queens University Belfast?
Doesn't really compare to the other heavyweights in Ireland like Trinity College Dublin.
Trihawk7
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Doesn't really compare to the other heavyweights in Ireland like Trinity College Dublin.
What other heavyweights are there on the island of Ireland other than TCD? Literally the only "heavyweights" are QUB and TCD
Computer Geek
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Trihawk7)
What other heavyweights are there on the island of Ireland other than TCD? Literally the only "heavyweights" are QUB and TCD
University College Dublin
Dublin Institute of Technology

Out of TCD, UCD and DIT, the outright majority of people get hired into all the tech roles in Ireland.
M4cc4n4
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Trinity is a more Art and Humanitarian College, UCD would be as reputable as Queens

NUI Galway is the same age as QUB but isn't really as reputable
HenryZ
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Cambridge
(small gap)
Imperial
(big gap)
Oxford
(huge gap)

Southampton
Warwick
UCL
Manchester
Edinburgh
St Andrews
Bristol
Bath
Durham
(massive gap)

KCL
QMUL
Birmingham
York
Leeds
Sheffield
Nottingham
Newcastle
Exeter
(Huge huge huge gap)

Liverpool
Cardiff
Birmingham City
City University London
Westminister
Wolverhampton
How about university of Glasgow? They said they are the second best in Scotland...
Computer Geek
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by HenryZ)
How about university of Glasgow? They said they are the second best in Scotland...
What a lie, St Andrews, Edinburgh and Strathclyde are all better than Glasgow, Glasgow is comparable to the likes of Birmingham lol
Princepieman
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What a lie, St Andrews, Edinburgh and Strathclyde are all better than Glasgow, Glasgow is comparable to the likes of Birmingham lol
Glasgow is definitely better than Strath for CompSci.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Trihawk7
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Where would you rate Leicester?
Computer Geek
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Princepieman)
Glasgow is definitely better than Strath for CompSci.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't be so sure, Strathclyde has more links with employers
Computer Geek
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Trihawk7)
Where would you rate Leicester?
Probably the last list, don't really know anything about them (that's a bad thing).
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Contemporary Dance Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Nov '19
  • University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (200)
19.19%
Labour (443)
42.51%
Liberal Democrats (202)
19.39%
Green Party (54)
5.18%
Brexit Party (28)
2.69%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.38%
SNP (15)
1.44%
Plaid Cymru (10)
0.96%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.1%
Sinn Fein (2)
0.19%
SDLP (1)
0.1%
Ulster Unionist (3)