This discussion is closed.
Pj
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Does anyone know if the six term year is going ahead or not. What do people think about the idea.
Good or bad for teachers/students?
Lee King
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[email protected] (PJ) wrote in message
news:<fa025ec5.0204260239.5e47df [email protected]>...
[q1]> Does anyone know if the six term year is going ahead or not. What do people think about the idea.[/q1]
[q1]> Good or bad for teachers/students?[/q1]

i think it is a good thing because the terms r slighly shrter , but the bad thing is that the
hoildays r cut shortter.
Austin
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]> Does anyone know if the six term year is going ahead or not. What do people think about the idea.[/q1]

i think that is a good idea for teachers and students, because we don't need to have a long holidays
and three term. We like to cut the dolidays in six terms.
User 1951
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On 26 Apr 2002 03:39:40 -0700, [email protected] (PJ) wrote:

[q1]>Does anyone know if the six term year is going ahead or not. What do people think about the idea.[/q1]
[q1]>Good or bad for teachers/students?[/q1]

An untried gimmick serving no useful purpose....naturally they will go ahead with it
**** http://user1951.tripod.com ****
Information about films,
Jack London, Lara Croft
Shakespeare and ICT program of study
last updated 24 04 2002
Martin Frey
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[email protected] (User 1951) wrote:

[q1]>On 26 Apr 2002 03:39:40 -0700, [email protected] (PJ) wrote:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]>>Does anyone know if the six term year is going ahead or not. What do people think about the idea.[/q2]
[q2]>>Good or bad for teachers/students?[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>An untried gimmick serving no useful purpose....naturally they will go ahead with it [/q1]

Not so - in US there have been 4, 5, and 6 term year primary and secondary schools for 50 and more
years. Most CTCs in the UK have operated 5 (some 6) since they were set up - it has been very
successful for them and is spoken well of by teachers, students and parents. They believe it has
contributed to the astonishly good results they are achieving. A problem is that the 5 term year
seems most suited to secondary level - 6 better for primaries and the primaries are going to win
the argument.

Cheers

Martin
Lee King
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[email protected] (lee king) wrote in message
news:<6db1aad8.0204300057.16e148 [email protected]>...
[q1]> [email protected] (PJ) wrote in message[/q1]
[q1]> news:<fa025ec5.0204260239.5e47df [email protected]>...[/q1]
[q2]> > Does anyone know if the six term year is going ahead or not. What do people think about the[/q2]
[q2]> > idea. Good or bad for teachers/students?[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> i think it is a good thing because the terms r slighly shrter , but the bad thing is that the[/q1]
[q1]> hoildays r cut shortter.[/q1]

i think it is good idea from bekim
User 1951
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 21:58:07 +0100, Martin Frey <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>Most CTCs in the UK have operated 5 (some 6) since they were set up - it has been very successful[/q1]
[q1]>for them and is spoken well of by teachers, students and parents. They believe it has contributed[/q1]
[q1]>to the astonishly good results they are achieving. A problem is that the 5 term year seems most[/q1]
[q1]>suited to secondary level - 6 better for primaries and the primaries are going to win the argument.[/q1]

Chapter and verse on this research would be useful.

I suppose having more money than other schools would have had nothing to do with the "astonishingly
good results" then?

Information about films,
Jack London, Lara Croft
last updated 24 04 2002
Martin Frey
Badges:
Report 17 years ago

[q1]>On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 21:58:07 +0100, Martin Frey <[email protected]> wrote:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]>>Most CTCs in the UK have operated 5 (some 6) since they were set up - it has been very successful[/q2]
[q2]>>for them and is spoken well of by teachers, students and parents. They believe it has contributed[/q2]
[q2]>>to the astonishly good results they are achieving. A problem is that the 5 term year seems most[/q2]
[q2]>>suited to secondary level - 6 better for primaries and the primaries are going to win the[/q2]
[q2]>>argument.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Chapter and verse on this research would be useful.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>I suppose having more money than other schools would have had nothing to do with the "astonishingly[/q1]
[q1]>good results" then?[/q1]

Try a Google - if that's not enough email me privately (snip the snip) as my school has a ton of
material we found when we went over to the 5 term year almost 2 years ago.

I was careful to say that the 5 term year contributed to better results at CTCs - a highly
capitalised startup and different contracts with teachers also help. Their annual revenue budgets
are very little different from the rest of us.

Cheers

Martin
Stephie
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
news:<6db1aad8.0205010423.772d51 [email protected]>...
[q1]> [email protected] (lee king) wrote in message[/q1]
[q1]> news:<6db1aad8.0204300057.16e148 [email protected]>...[/q1]
[q2]> > [email protected] (PJ) wrote in message[/q2]
[q2]> > news:<fa025ec5.0204260239.5e47df [email protected]>...[/q2]
[q3]> > > Does anyone know if the six term year is going ahead or not. What do people think about the[/q3]
[q3]> > > idea. Good or bad for teachers/students?[/q3]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > i think it is a good thing because the terms r slighly shrter , but the bad thing is that the[/q2]
[q2]> > hoildays r cut shortter.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> i think it is good idea from bekim[/q1]

Erm, yeah, great idea peter, keep up the good work. Stephie. xXx
Tina
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
news:<6db1aad8.0205010423.772d51 [email protected]>...
[q1]> [email protected] (lee king) wrote in message[/q1]
[q1]> news:<6db1aad8.0204300057.16e148 [email protected]>...[/q1]
[q2]> > [email protected] (PJ) wrote in message[/q2]
[q2]> > news:<fa025ec5.0204260239.5e47df [email protected]>...[/q2]
[q3]> > > Does anyone know if the six term year is going ahead or not. What do people think about the[/q3]
[q3]> > > idea. Good or bad for teachers/students?[/q3]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > i think it is a good thing because the terms r slighly shrter , but the bad thing is that the[/q2]
[q2]> > hoildays r cut shortter.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> i think it is good idea from bekim[/q1]

[q1]> I believe this new systemwill upsetwhat has worked for many years.[/q1]
We have enough holidays all at the right times of the year. Why risk the change when the old way
works. The more breaks we haveand for longer only meanre-teaching when the kids come back as over
the holiday many of them forgot what they were learning and are still in the holiday mood. Plus the
summer break is needed after all the exams!! from tina
Martin Frey
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[email protected] (Tina) wrote:

[q1]>[email protected] (lee king) wrote in message[/q1]
[q1]>news:<6db1aad8.0205010423.772d5 [email protected]>...[/q1]
[q2]>> [email protected] (lee king) wrote in message[/q2]
[q2]>> news:<6db1aad8.0204300057.16e148 [email protected]>...[/q2]
[q2]>> > [email protected] (PJ) wrote in message[/q2]
[q2]>> > news:<fa025ec5.0204260239.5e47df [email protected]>...[/q2]
[q2]>> > > Does anyone know if the six term year is going ahead or not. What do people think about the[/q2]
[q2]>> > > idea. Good or bad for teachers/students?[/q2]
[q2]>> >[/q2]
[q2]>> >[/q2]
[q2]>> >[/q2]
[q2]>> > i think it is a good thing because the terms r slighly shrter , but the bad thing is that the[/q2]
[q2]>> > hoildays r cut shortter.[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> i think it is good idea from bekim[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]>> I believe this new systemwill upsetwhat has worked for many years.[/q2]
[q1]>We have enough holidays all at the right times of the year. Why risk the change when the old way[/q1]
[q1]>works. The more breaks we haveand for longer only meanre-teaching when the kids come back as over[/q1]
[q1]>the holiday many of them forgot what they were learning and are still in the holiday mood. Plus the[/q1]
[q1]>summer break is needed after all the exams!! from tina[/q1]

The kids at my secondary school almost 100% disagree with you.

There is a class/wealth divide as well. The long Summer holiday can be very difficult for
families who are short of cash or education, while the middle classes can afford to pop off to
wherever because it'll be good for the kids etc. It may be a bit of a shock to such parents when
they discover that their kids, fairly uniformly, regardless of cash/class call the long Summer
break boring.

I'm sorry that it's likely to be a six term year, not a five: the trumpeted benefit of 6 term system
is that it preserves that long Summer break!

Cheers

Martin
Alpacino
Badges:
Report 17 years ago

I dont think it is a good idea, as the current system already works, also the students that are
leaving school need the long break to decide what they are going to do work/college! Long breaks
also means students can get a better idea of full time work. Sam.
Martin Frey
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[email protected] (Alpacino) wrote:

[q1]>[email protected] (PJ) wrote in message[/q1]
[q1]>news:<fa025ec5.0204260239.5e47d [email protected]>...[/q1]
[q2]>> Does anyone know if the six term year is going ahead or not. What do people think about the idea.[/q2]
[q2]>> Good or bad for teachers/students?[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>I dont think it is a good idea, as the current system already works, also the students that are[/q1]
[q1]>leaving school need the long break to decide what they are going to do work/college! Long breaks[/q1]
[q1]>also means students can get a better idea of full time work. Sam.[/q1]

Sam

The current works - but not perfectly: there's clearly room for improvement and the 5 or 6 term year
may well be better.

I don't think the pattern of education from 3 to 18 should be dictated by the need for leavers to
think what they do next. Don't they leave after their exams - no matter when the end of term is?
Students have always had different pattern to their year anyway - so what's the relevance of your
last sentence?

Cheers

Martin
Ac
Badges:
Report 17 years ago

i think the six term year is good for primary and secondary but not for college because we need more
time to study and we need to earn some money during the holidays i dont agree with it because it
will take time and it will an inconvienance to all students and teachers

abdul
Chris
Badges:
Report 17 years ago

I think its bad as your summer holiday is shorter. from chris
User 1951
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On 24 May 2002 04:30:27 -0700, [email protected] (chris) wrote:

[q1]>[email protected] (PJ) wrote in message[/q1]
[q1]>news:<fa025ec5.0204260239.5e47d [email protected]>...[/q1]
[q2]>> Does anyone know if the six term year is going ahead or not. What do people think about the idea.[/q2]
[q2]>> Good or bad for teachers/students?[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>I think its bad as your summer holiday is shorter. from chris[/q1]

It is one of those ideas which appear unexceptionable on the surface but probably mean a worsening
of conditions of service in implementation.
Information about films,
Jack London, Lara Croft
last updated 24 04 2002
Martin Frey
Badges:
Report 17 years ago

[q1]>It is one of those ideas which appear unexceptionable on the surface but probably mean a worsening[/q1]
[q1]>of conditions of service in implementation.[/q1]

Our implemented experience does not agree with you. The problem with a week long half-term break is
that it seems to give time to wind down but not to refresh. And having wound down, it can be hell
winding up again, unrefreshed.

With all fortnight breaks as in 5 term year (less in 6 term) there is real benefit to teachers which
knocks on i benefit to the kids and the kids like it - which knocks on to the teachers.

As a go it alone school there are short term benefits - very cheap off peak holidays etc but even
allowing for that not lasting it is popular with staff.

Cheers

Martin

PS not all of them of course - but on balance it gets a big thumbs up.
Jack
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Fri, 24 May 2002 18:35:20 GMT, [email protected] (User 1951)
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>It is one of those ideas which appear unexceptionable on the surface but probably mean a worsening[/q1]
[q1]>of conditions of service in implementation.[/q1]
[q1]>******************************* *****[/q1]

Well, after this mammoth spring half-term, I can't wait for them to bring it in.

Jack

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Learning Register : online educational resources database http://www.learningregister.com
[email protected]
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (345)
34.6%
No (652)
65.4%

Watched Threads