The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Manual driving lessons in Bath?

Anyone had driving lessons in Bath and wants to recommend an instructor?
Is it difficult since the test centre is in Bristol?
Original post by onur_m

Not a Bath student, but Bath to Bristol is a 30 min drive, and when I was doing driving lessons in my hometown, it was about 30 minutes to my nearest test centre as well. Don't worry about the distance.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Never driven in Bath, but i'd recommend against it if you can avoid it. The one way system makes driving there a complete joke.
Original post by QuentinM
Never driven in Bath, but i'd recommend against it if you can avoid it. The one way system makes driving there a complete joke.

As someone who has driven in Bath...I think it's an ideal place to learn. Lots of quiet side streets with minimal traffic, some good hills & hilly junctions to practice and perfect hill starts, some larger A-roads very nearby to practice multi-lane spiral roundabouts and the like. Minimal cyclists and lorries, and most of the one-way systems can be avoided by going slightly out of town. I would think Bath would be an honestly fantastic place to learn to drive. Compare it against learning in London or Reading and it's a very pleasant place to learn to drive.
Original post by President Snow
As someone who has driven in Bath...I think it's an ideal place to learn. Lots of quiet side streets with minimal traffic, some good hills & hilly junctions to practice and perfect hill starts, some larger A-roads very nearby to practice multi-lane spiral roundabouts and the like. Minimal cyclists and lorries, and most of the one-way systems can be avoided by going slightly out of town. I would think Bath would be an honestly fantastic place to learn to drive. Compare it against learning in London or Reading and it's a very pleasant place to learn to drive.

I'd say true on comparing it to London. I think if you leave the city theres some great areas outside which dont take too long to get too. I'd say all the lanes up by Batheaston where i lived would be a great place to learn. But i'd try and steer clear of the one way system in the centre.
Original post by onur_m

Hey! I had driving lessons in Bath during my second year (so very recently Nov 2016 - May 2017). I had initially called a bunch of instructors who were based in Bath and they either didn't respond or were too full. In the end I found an instructor who was in between Bath and Bristol, but mostly did Bristol. I had to pay a little extra for her to come to Bath in total was £240 for 10 hours which was 5 lessons of 2-hours. She was really great and I passed first time with her.

The nearest test centre is Bristol like you said, so I didn't actually drive in Bath at all. Except for driving from my house towards Keynsham/Bristol, I lived in Oldfield Park which meant it was very quick to get to all the possible test routes. Even though I wasn't driving in Bath I still learnt a lot and I feel comfortable driving around Bath (recently drove from London to Bath and had no problems). My instructor mostly taught me on possible test routes so that I felt comfortable driving around the area they would take me on the test which is great because on the test you don't go anywhere near Bath anyway.

I think the instructors based in Bath would probably also take you closer to the Brislington test centre for practice (I hope). The distance is no problem.

The company I went with is Robbie's Driving School Bristol, and the instructor I had is called Rachel Johnston. She is one of two instructors who cater to the Bath area

Quick Reply

Latest