The Student Room Group

Is this anxiety?

I've never been diagnosed with anxiety but recently every time I try and go to sleep I feel like I can't breathe. Like my throat closes up and I can't get rid of the sensation. I don't display other symptoms of anxiety (at least none that I recognise) but the difficulty breathing makes me think it's some sort of panic attack? It's quite scary because my head is saying 'it's fine, it's just a sensation and it'll be gone in the morning' but my throat isn't listening. I've tried deep breathing techniques, sitting up straight, exercise to counter hyperventilation and so far nothing has worked. Any thoughts?
Reply 1
Anxiety is usually always accompanied by fear, your mind wouldn't be saying everything's going to be fine, in fact quite the opposite…

Have you ever had a scare like you've almost been in a car crash or almost dropped a glass? Or perhaps you didn't realise your phone was in your pocket and had a 'mini heart attack'? Capture that moment of shock and fear and imagine it being extended by a longer time - thats what a panic attack usually feels like, and general feelings of anxiety are quite similar but on a lower scale
Original post by PollyParrot23
I've never been diagnosed with anxiety but recently every time I try and go to sleep I feel like I can't breathe. Like my throat closes up and I can't get rid of the sensation. I don't display other symptoms of anxiety (at least none that I recognise) but the difficulty breathing makes me think it's some sort of panic attack? It's quite scary because my head is saying 'it's fine, it's just a sensation and it'll be gone in the morning' but my throat isn't listening. I've tried deep breathing techniques, sitting up straight, exercise to counter hyperventilation and so far nothing has worked. Any thoughts?

It's a subconscious thing. I had this (occasionally still do) and it's in essence your body's fight or flight system going into overdrive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Every time you go to bed now do you think about how it's going to happen? Even if you don't always think about it happening, being in the same environment can cause the same sensation as your mind thinks as soon as you're doing the same thing/in the same situation it's going to happen again. But i'd say go an discuss with a doctor just so you can know its nothing serious :smile:
This I part of your anxiety. I suffer from anxiety and I often do have these moments. I went to my GP and they changed my medication to suit this and these symptoms stopped. Sleep and anxiety are very important, it's important to have a good sleep to help elevate symptoms.
I don't think it's anxiety but go to the doctor's and check it out, just in case. Do you have any trouble getting or staying asleep? It could be insomnia.
Original post by chloerebecca1
I don't think it's anxiety but go to the doctor's and check it out, just in case. Do you have any trouble getting or staying asleep? It could be insomnia.

It can take me anywhere from half an hour to several hours to get to sleep but usually only wake once during the night if at all
I was in the similar situation a year ago. I couldn't breathe deeply. I went to the therapist and she said the cause of it was my nervousness. She prescribed me medicines and it helped a lot. I don't say you have the same problem, but I don't think it is an anxiety. Visit a doctor, anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest