Disseration and Research Methods

Watch
aob13
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello all,

I've recently been accepted into my Masters program in the UK. I wanted to know if anyone can give me any idea on how disserations are done there (if there is any difference at all that is) I'm curious about if it has to be an experimental study, or can it just be a descriptive one using secondary data and some primary data. I also would like to know if anyone can link me or recommend a book or reading on research methods and methology; it is not my strong point and I am freaking out a bit to be honest.

Would anyone also indicate if one can have more meetings with the professors during your disseration revision? I've seen that they tend to be only 4 meetings in general, but I want to know if one can email them or send them a copy of your work so far for a revision.

Thanks!
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by aob13)
Hello all,

I've recently been accepted into my Masters program in the UK. I wanted to know if anyone can give me any idea on how disserations are done there (if there is any difference at all that is) I'm curious about if it has to be an experimental study, or can it just be a descriptive one using secondary data and some primary data. I also would like to know if anyone can link me or recommend a book or reading on research methods and methology; it is not my strong point and I am freaking out a bit to be honest.

Would anyone also indicate if one can have more meetings with the professors during your disseration revision? I've seen that they tend to be only 4 meetings in general, but I want to know if one can email them or send them a copy of your work so far for a revision.

Thanks!
It depends on your field, interests and supervisor. It can be an experimental diss or something that uses primary and secondary sources but you still need to produce a novel piece of work (i.e new results or a new stance on previous work). Methods again will be very dependent on field and what the diss is on so this is best discussed with your supervisor which will then give you a starting point for some reading and research. How many meetings you have when you're writing up will depend on the supervisor and uni. Some unis restrict this and some don't and profs will have their own supervision styles. This you need to work out with your supervisor. You will get guidance with all of this when you start so don't worry about it now.
evantej
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by aob13)
Hello all,

Thanks!
It depends entirely on your subject area and university. When you do your research methods module you will probably go over different methodologies and have suggested reading. Your assignment might be to write your research proposal for the dissertation.

I am not sure I agree with your implication that doing a dissertation using secondary data is easier either. There is an acknowledgement that any primary data collection/experimentation done by students will always be constrained because of time scales. But if you do a dissertation using secondary data then the expectations will be much higher.
aob13
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thank you both very much for the insight. I am currently writing down ideas for possible dissertation experiments using questionnaires with student population. My research methods aren't the best so I'm trying to keep it good, concrete and simple, but something that Wil live valuable information. I was very worried that I'd be hung out to dry in regards to receiving help; I've read a lot about British unis and they seem to indicate that it's a very individual process with little help, so I was rather apprehensive. I believe the comments have helped me calm down and understand this process a bit more.

I wanted to know if there is any information on how to write proper essays, reports, etc., that I may be suggested.

Thanks again for the comments, very kind of y'all.
MicheelS
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
y,
(Original post by aob13)
Thank you both very much for the insight. I am currently writing down ideas for possible dissertation experiments using questionnaires with student population. My research methods aren't the best so I'm trying to keep it good, concrete and simple, but something that Wil live valuable information. I was very worried that I'd be hung out to dry in regards to receiving help; I've read a lot about British unis and they seem to indicate that it's a very individual process with little help, so I was rather apprehensive. I believe the comments have helped me calm down and understand this process a bit more.

I wanted to know if there is any information on how to write proper essays, reports, etc., that I may be suggested.

Thanks again for the comments, very kind of y'all.
Usually, you will either do a systematic dissertation which involves using existing literature to underpin your study. Alternatively, an empirical study which will involve conducting your own research.

I would recommend reading about theoretical frameworks, research philosophy, qualitative and quantitative research methods. I recommend the work of Michael Hammond and Jerry Wellington.

Good luck!
regentediting
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Congratulations on being accepted for pursuing Masters in UK. As per my knowledge there are various consultancy which can help you to have a clear view that how dissertation is done. You can go through various blogs available on google which can show the clear view, that how can you proceed with dissertation and research.
username2789280
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by regentediting)
Congratulations on being accepted for pursuing Masters in UK. As per my knowledge there are various consultancy which can help if you to have a clear view that how dissertation is done. You can go through various blogs available on google which can show the clear view, that how can you proceed with dissertation and research.
OP, do not do this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads