The Student Room Group

I don't do facebook

Does not doing FB put me at a disadvantage in terms of making friends at Uni?

Both before I arrive and whilst I am there?

Opinions please?
Original post by sugarpuffle

Opinions please?

Sadly, yes.

A lot of future flatmates will add each other on FB and create flat chats before they move in and whatnot to get to know each other.

Also, a lot of social events are organised over FB - if you do not have a Facebook account you will be severely limiting yourself in terms of making friends and attending social gatherings.

As well as this, study groups are also made on FB - so it also benefits your education. Facebook is also key for groupwork as it is the easiest way to contact your fellow group members to organise places to meet and discuss who is working on what, etc.

Get a FB even if you don't like it, you will regret it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Not really because whilst you're at uni you'll be making friends with people in person not online. And you could keep in touch using text/whatsapp whilst you're there

I guess you're only missing out on the pre-uni group chats, but many freshers aren't in them anyway so you'll still have a chance to make friends :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
I know a girl in my year who didn't have Facebook, by the end of the year, it was too much effort and she created one.

Thing is even before uni, people already have group chats on Facebook, for the course and the accomodations. So you get a chance to get to know some people before you even get there.

Majority of societies and such also organise the events on Facebook as that's what's most people have. So you might be the last to know about some events or even miss them.

You don't have to create Facebook and constantly make posts and stuff. Personally, my Facebook is pretty blank and only has my name and my education on it. I don't really post stuff either. It's just something I use for the messenger and to keep track of the different events and societies.
Reply 4
I deactivated my Facebook account almost 3 years ago as I barely used.. I mean, everyone mainly use either Snapchat or Instagram so thought I wouldn't need it :/ Hope it doesn't come bite me later when starting uni

Opinions please?

Unfortunately yes. I didn't have Facebook at freshers but I had it a month into university. It was just easier for the purposes of societies, and when I was elevated to the Exec. I suddenly needed to get in contact with a bunch of people.

It just makes life easier, even if you have no public information on your profile and only check it once a day.
It makes life easier but you can still make friends without Facebook. I had a friend who only used to go on Facebook once every few months but she had a lot of friends. Any events she would about from talking to people or by text.
Having facebook is necessary for events and updates, it's just where everyone organises things because it has good facilities to and the large majority of people use it.

If you don't have facebook then it means not having a vote in things, or even knowing about some events. You could compare it to having to ask the time instead of having a watch or smartphone on you, except instead of you asking for it you're expecting other people to read your mind and determine when you want to know the time.

Opinions please?

I can't see why - there are more popular social media channels these days to facebook. I use Messenger, but not actually facebook itself.
I ended up getting one, locking down the privacy settings so that nobody could find me and putting no photos or other information on it. It was just so I could add my course and society groups - for the latter especially, events tended to be announced on Facebook and not anywhere else. I dislike Facebook so it was a bit of a nuisance, but better than missing out on things. I suggest you wait and see how heavily it seems to be used by the groups you're interested and involved in at your particular university.
Thanks so much! InvisibleDuck that is exactly what I will do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending