The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ha! No thanks.
Reply 2
Quality education for all, not the few who do well in early years and are lucky enough to be pushed by their parents.
At first I thought this was an ironic attempt at asking the government to help improve grammar by using the phrase 'more grammars'.

However, upon reading it, I decided no. Just no. Let's have good education for all, eh?
Reply 4
Oswy
Quality education for all, not the few who do well in early years and are lucky enough to be pushed by their parents.

Agreed
So you think everyone should be lumped together regardless of their intellectual ability? I've signed.
Why is everyone under the impression the two are mutually exclusive?
Reply 7
Oswy

IF thats the reason why pupils pass the 11+ ...:rolleyes: shouldnt you just encourage all parents to push their children in contrast to letting them kick footballs at cars on a council estate, rather than ban good schools?
It's not about 'good' education, it's about appropriate education.

Realistically, our lower performing students are simply alienated from education by being forced to study the same (more 'academic') subjects as others.
Reply 9
love2learn7
IF thats the reason why pupils pass the 11+ ...:rolleyes: shouldnt you just encourage all parents to push their children in contrast to letting them kick footballs at cars on a council estate, rather than ban good schools?

Yes, you should encourage all parents to help their children - but why does that mean that they then get seperated based on what they've learnt by a time when they're still very young?
Oswy
Quality education for allQUOTE]

Quality education?! Define quality, please! You should see my local state school...
love2learn7
shouldnt you just encourage all parents to push their children in contrast to letting them kick footballs at cars on a council estate

Ha!
immediate_escape
Quality education?! Define quality, please! You should see my local state school...

It's more a case of 'if we can't make everyone equal, then hold even the best back'.
I'd rather stick pins in my testicles.
Reply 14
Lib North Mk.2
It's more a case of 'if we can't make everyone equal, then hold even the best back'.

You're not necessarily holding anyone back. With the right resources and teachers, anyone can get a quality education - why make extra seperate schools and give up on some young children, when the money can be spent improving the current ones and giving everyone a decent education?
Lib North Mk.2

I agree. Someone said above that it was unfair that children should be streamed at such a young age. Maybe there should be more chances for children to enter grammar schools, the opportunity to take entrance exams at 11, 13 and then again at 15 or 16. Maybe that would be fairer.
We should also consider that we all learn differently as well some the best education system would allow for all students to learn the way that they learn best. So that should mean grammar school should exist IF the students learnt best in that sort of environment.
cpj1987
You're not necessarily holding anyone back. With the right resources and teachers, anyone can get a quality education - why make extra seperate schools and give up on some young children, when the money can be spent improving the current ones and giving everyone a decent education?

The problem is, that's not happening and probably won't happen under this government.
Mixed classes certainly hold back the higher achievers - I've experienced this much myself (not to toot my own horn too much or anything :p: ). I'm not sure if this is the way to go about changing that though.
Reply 19
OP, how much would you want this seperation to occur? Would there still be mixed ability schools, should people choose them; or would you prefer everyone to be seperated into one or the other?

Latest

Trending

Trending