StevetheIcecube
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey everyone, and welcome to my GYG blog!

I thought I'd give this a shot as a lot of people seem to be doing it and I definitely need some form of motivation to actually revise. I'm a really notorious procrastinator, and while for the last couple of years I've managed to pull it out of the bag, I don't want to leave it down to chance this time.

I'm not strictly 'growing' my grades, because I did really well last year, but I'm trying to maintain them and generally have a better ethos about working this year.

My goal is:
History - A/A*
Ancient History - A/A*
Classical Civilisation - A
English Literature AS - A

I also want to get into Oxford for Ancient and Modern History, but I will also happily settle for Exeter for History and Ancient History. The main challenge here is doing well in the HAT - I'd like a score around 70/100 but I have no idea how this will work out yet.

Structure:
Spoiler:
Show

My goal is to do daily posts with my goals for the day, what I achieved, and what I didn't manage to do. I don't like doing structured revision timetables, just tasks that I have to complete by a certain deadline.

I will put all my goals completed in a masterpost at the bottom of this post. Seeing as it's a study blog I'll probably put all my homework essays in here too.

The story so far:
Spoiler:
Show

In my GCSEs, I pulled my finger out about three weeks before exams started and did some actual revision. I got incredibly lucky and got 8A*s (including History), 2As (English Literature and Biology), and a C (Art). I was incredibly disappointed by my A in Literature but very happy about the A*s - I wasn't expecting one in German or Music.

I took four AS exams (two in Ancient History and two in Classical Civilisation) as well as two internal mocks. I got As in everything, but again I started my revision very late and caused some unneeded stress for myself - I only had four days to revise for my second Ancient History exam. My stress got to the point that I was having problems sleeping and had to seek help from the college counsellor. I really don't want that to happen again!

I applied for a scholarship at Worcester College - my audition went pretty well in my opinion, but I didn't get a scholarship there. Instead, they sent me on to Oriel, so I don't know what I'm going to do and whether I'll bother applying there or just go for Wadham.

The stress of Eng Lit A-Level was way too much for me and I decided to drop it last minute, but I've picked up the AS instead so I should be able to do that at the end of the year.

Good luck to everyone else attempting to grow their grades this year, and I hope you all reach your goals!
auburnstar
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Best of luck Leo! (not that you need it, your AS grades are better than mine were....)
StevetheIcecube
Rep:
?
Tasks:
(Completed tasks are marked with complete and are in italic)

Ancient History (A2, two exams):
Spoiler:
Show
  • Summer essay: Is Herodotus an Historian or Just a Storyteller? - complete (45/50)
  • Read the required passages of The Histories

Classical Civilisation (A2, two exams):
Spoiler:
Show
  • Summer work: read The Iliad - complete
  • Essay on Piraeus Apollo - complete
  • Essay on 6th century BCE vases

English Literature (AS, two exams):
Spoiler:
Show
  • Summer essay: Explore the Presentation of Science Usurping Female Power in The Handmaid's Tale and Frankenstein - complete
  • Read The Great Gatsby - complete
  • Reread Frankenstein
  • Reread The Handmaid's Tale
  • Reread Streetcar
  • Revise poems
  • Essay analysing Nick's narration - complete

History (A-Level, three exams + coursework):
Spoiler:
Show
  • Summer coursework preparation - complete
  • Write essay on Perkin + Warbeck Rebellions - complete
  • Coursework reading
  • Coursework plan
  • Coursework first draft

Extra (uni prep and extra reading):
Spoiler:
Show
  • Complete personal statement - finished eighth draft + sent off application
  • Read World Order
  • Read Ancient Worlds
  • Start research project (gender roles in dictatorships)
  • HAT prep - two papers done
  • Prepare written work for Oxford submission - possible submission complete
  • Practise for choral scholarship audition - complete
  • Read The Pursuit of History
StevetheIcecube
Rep:
?
06/09/2017:

Goals:
  • Do a plan and introduction for essay
  • Read up to page 230 of the Iliad (57%)
  • Find my student ID

Achieved:
  • Read up to page 230 of the Iliad
  • Do a plan and introduction for essay

Not Achieved:
  • Find my student ID

Comments:
It took me much longer to read the Iliad than expected and I sort of ran out of time to search my room. However, insomnia struck again and I ended up being up until 2:30am. I think I've worked out that the ID can't possibly be in my room because I tidied it a little. I also wrote the next paragraph and a half of my essay, so that's over half done now!
StevetheIcecube
Rep:
?
07/09/2017

Goals:
  • Finish essay
  • Read up to page 260 of the Iliad (65%)
  • Finish up new personal statement draft
  • Singing practise

Achieved:
  • Finish up new personal statement draft
  • Singing practise
  • Finish essay
  • Read up to page 260 of the Iliad (65%)

Not Achieved:

Comments:
Got an email from Worcester College today giving me the details of my audition! From now on I really have to do some singing practise every day - my audition is on the 21st September!
After singing practise, or an attempt at it, I've realised I probably have no hope at the scholarship! My sight singing isn't even at grade one standard. I have a lot of practising to do, so all I can hope is that my solo piece will make up for it.
I was really pleased that I was able to finish off my essay as now I only have to read the Iliad before I go back to college. I didn't expect to have it done so early at all. I was also able to submit my Literature essay via email so I don't have to worry about missing that deadline anymore.
StevetheIcecube
Rep:
?
08/09/2017

Goals:
  • Read up to page 290 of the Iliad (72%)
  • Singing practise
  • Tidy my bedroom :/

Achieved:
  • Singing practise

Not Achieved:
  • Tidy my bedroom
  • Read to page 290 of the Iliad (reached 285 instead)

Comments:
Had a bit of a bad mental health day today nothing awful, just completely lacked the motivation to do much at all (I think I have a period coming on or something actually). I did email head of student services to let her know I'd lost my student ID, though, and I cleared a little bit of the floor in my bedroom. I got to page 285 before giving up for the night (rip Patroclus). But hey, I took a break day, and I think that's fine once in a while!
StevetheIcecube
Rep:
?
09/09/2017

Goals:
  • Singing practise
  • More bedroom tidying
  • Start reading History notes for HAT
  • Read up to page 320 of the Iliad (80%)

Achieved:
  • Singing practise
  • Read up to page 320 of the Iliad
  • Start reading History notes for HAT

Not Achieved:
  • More bedroom tidying

Comments:
The plan is to use my depth study for the non-source essay question of the HAT, which is Fascist Italy. If I encounter problems with that I might look into my breadth study (Germany 1918-89), but I don't feel like I can discuss that in any form of depth, honestly.
Managed to do quite well with my singing practise, I think I'm up to about grade 2/3 level in sight reading, which isn't good enough for my audition yet, but it's a start.
I technically started HAT revision, but I just realised how close I am to the end of my holidays - I think the aim should be to finish the brief revision by then and have a HAT paper ready to be marked soon after. Time slipped away again, there was a 3 hour event on a stream I watch regularly so that just...sucked up my time.
(PS: Patroclus and Achilles are gay)
StevetheIcecube
Rep:
?
10/09/2017

Goals:
  • TIDY MY BEDROOM (why do I never do this)
  • More HAT revision
  • Make HAT prep schedule
  • Read up to page 350 of the Iliad (87%)

Achieved:
  • HAT prep schedule

Not Achieved:
  • TIDY MY BEDROOM (why do I never do this)
  • More HAT revision
  • Read up to page 350 of the Iliad (87%)

Comments:
Idk what happened yesterday okay. I knew it would be a slow start because I had to take my dog for a walk, but it got to 1pm and for some reason I then decided to play video games...for four and a half hours. And then I had choir practise, and now my brain has decided that college and the mere thought of it should cause me a fair amount of anxiety. But hey, the only way is up, right? I can't physically do much less work than this.
StevetheIcecube
Rep:
?
11/09/2017

Goals:
  • 7pagesof HATrevision
  • Read up to page 365 of the Iliad
  • Singing practise

Achieved:
  • Read up to page 334 of the Iliad
  • Singing practise
  • 7pagesof HATrevision

Not Achieved:
  • Read up to page 365 of the Iliad

Comments:
This is done a few days in retrospect, oops! I've had a busy two days.
Fox Corner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Good luck this year!

(Original post by StevetheIcecube)

English Literature:
  • Summer essay: Explore the Presentation of Science Usurping Female Power in The Handmaid's Tale and Frankenstein - complete
  • Read 1984
  • Read The Great Gatsby
  • Read A Clockwork Orange
  • Reread Frankenstein
  • Reread The Handmaid's Tale

Nice selection of texts - all really interesting novels
StevetheIcecube
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fox Corner)
Good luck this year!

Nice selection of texts - all really interesting novels
Frankenstein and Handmaid are my set texts! 1984 and Clockwork Orange would be my choice for my coursework texts and Great Gatsby is what we're studying in class in the hope that we'll do that for our coursework.
I'm particularly fond of 1984 and Handmaid - I'm a stereotypical teenager, I love dystopian fiction!
auburnstar
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by StevetheIcecube)
Frankenstein and Handmaid are my set texts! 1984 and Clockwork Orange would be my choice for my coursework texts and Great Gatsby is what we're studying in class in the hope that we'll do that for our coursework.
I'm particularly fond of 1984 and Handmaid - I'm a stereotypical teenager, I love dystopian fiction!
I did Frankenstein and Handmaid's Tale last year! Frankenstein is great, I was less fond of Handmaid's because its structure is much harder to follow. If you need resources for them feel free to PM - I have loads of stuff on them. (We also did Othello, Dr Faustus, post-2000 anthology of poetry and the Wife of Bath)
StevetheIcecube
Rep:
?
Name:  hatstudynotes.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  245.0 KB

For the sake of images and stuff, this is what I mean by 'revise pages for HAT'. For my History mocks at the end of last year I made notes in bullet points from the year's powerpoints and then went through them, underlining key concepts in green with groups, people, and dates in red. I'm reading through these to refresh my memory before I attempt any past papers for the HAT.
StevetheIcecube
Rep:
?
12/09/2017

Goals:
  • Finish the Iliad
  • 7 pages of HAT prep

Achieved:

Not Achieved:
  • Finish the Iliad
  • 7 pages of HAT prep

Comments:
Went into college today to help on an induction day and I had such a killer headache when I came home that I couldn't do anything else. I also had a singing lesson, so no practise needed!
StevetheIcecube
Rep:
?
13/09/2017

Goals:
  • Finish the Iliad
  • 9 pages of HAT revision

Achieved:
  • Finish the Iliad

Not Achieved:

• 9 pages of HAT revision

Comments:
First day back at college today! I got my timetable, they forgot to put History on it and they really messed up Classics so the one guy who didn't want to teach it is teaching three of my lessons - I'm also being taught two topics by two teachers but with an uneven lesson split, so that will be fun. Time will tell if I decide to drop Classics before I send off my uni application.
I'm really happy I managed to finish off the Iliad - I'd listened to about a chapter and a half of an audiobook when my head was screaming at me last night but I still had a fair amount to go and I managed to get it done.
StevetheIcecube
Rep:
?
Update on 14/09/2017

Didn't do any work today...I had loads of frees but just didn't do anything except read a handful of pages of World Order. I went into London straight after college ended and then wasn't home until nearly 11pm. I had English and Classics and I'm pretty concerned that the workload is going to be huge and the timetable is awful.
StevetheIcecube
Rep:
?
15/09/2017

Goals:
  • 15 pages of HAT prep
  • Read 3 chapters of Gatsby

Achieved:
  • Read 2 chapters of Gatsby

Not Achieved:
  • One chapter of Gatsby
  • 15 pages of HAT prep

Comments:
Feeling really low today not much point putting singing practise on my goals because I know I won't do it.
Yeah, yesterday was a bit of a disaster, but it was Friday and I was tired so I'll just have to really make up for it from now on.
StevetheIcecube
Rep:
?
16/09/2017

Goals:
  • Singing practise
  • Do as much HAT prep as possible

Achieved:
  • Singing practise

Not Achieved:
  • Do as much HAT prep as possible

Comments:
I...really didn't do much HAT prep. I'm meant to do my first HAT paper on Sunday, and I think I still will, but I definitely need to do more revision before I take the actual test. Gatsby is surprisingly good, I'm really enjoying it!
StevetheIcecube
Rep:
?
17/09/2017

Goals:
  • HAT past paper
  • Ancient History homework
  • Finish Great Gatsby

Achieved:
  • HAT past paper
  • Ancient History homework

Not Achieved:
  • Finish Great Gatsby

Comments:
The HAT paper was okay, actually! I estimated about a 55/100 mark for myself which I think is pretty good for a first try?
StevetheIcecube
Rep:
?
18/09/2017

Goals:
  • Singing practise
  • HAT revision
  • Finish Gatsby
  • Start English coursework proposal

Achieved:

Not Achieved:
  • Singing practise
  • HAT revision
  • Finish Gatsby
  • Start English coursework proposal

Comments:
:/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (300)
55.66%
I don't have everything I need (239)
44.34%

Watched Threads