The Student Room Group

How to focus on studying after so many years working

Hello Folks, Any tips on how to get your brain back into study mode. The last time I studied anything of an academic nature was in 1995

I hope to start a Distance Learning Top Up Degree in the not to distant future. But to be honest I was never great at studying and feel very very lucky that I was able to pass my A'Levels and HND.

Any tips on how to create a study plan and revision methods?

Thanks, Mike.
Sort out what topics you need to study and set aside a set period of time for each one. You could create a revision timetable. Try not to study everything together, space out your study periods in order to give yourself free time and breaks.

Another tip is to take your study elsewhere. By that I mean you could go to the local library for one of your study periods. It gets you out of the house and away from distractions like TV and food.
Reply 2
if you worked then you are disciplined so you'll be fine. all you need is discipline.
Original post by Irishfella
Hello Folks, Any tips on how to get your brain back into study mode. The last time I studied anything of an academic nature was in 1995

I hope to start a Distance Learning Top Up Degree in the not to distant future. But to be honest I was never great at studying and feel very very lucky that I was able to pass my A'Levels and HND.

Thanks, Mike.
Original post by Irishfella

Thanks, Mike.

Hi there!
Creating as study plan is very effective, especially when you like to work on a schedule and stay organised. You could split study sessions into topics, or see where you get upto in the session. It's good to introduce regular breaks also, as this enables you to reduce tiredness and also process the content.

When revising, you could listen to some study music, you will find it mainly on youtube. The music is really good, I used when I studied for my a levels, I'm now in uni and don't know what I would do without it! There are loads of different ways to revise, so you could try different methods and use the one that is most effective for you. The method I used to use was to condence information into small bullet points and then write out the bullet points again and again until I remember them. Also, you could ensure that you understand content as you go along, rather than leaving it until the last minute to try and understand. You could use youtube to search for anything you don't underswtand, and this website is also useful for revision notes, many students have uploaded theirs.
Hope this helps and good luck :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks for your replies. They have been very helpful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending