The Student Room Group

Are my eating habits really that strange?

I'm really annoyed with my boyfriend because he keeps making all kinds of silly accusations, purely because I'm a bit underweight and he finds my eating habits weird. Just wanna know someone elses opinion on this - which one of us is being the unreasonable one?
- I eat breakfast every day - usually something light like cereal or musli, or a smoothie + fruit
- I eat normal dinner when he gets back from work (usually v. late afternoon/evening) - vegetarian take away or whatever I make for us
- late evening snack - something like yogurt, milk, or a bit of chocolate

I brush my teeth/wash my hands a bit obsessively whenever I eat because it makes me feel dirty lol and I hate eating/touching food with my fingers, especially certain types of food, because I find it gross so I use forks/spoons for literally everything. Although I did have some ED issues a long time ago, back in high school, and I'm now fully recovered, these little ocd habits stayed with me - so it's nothing to be worried about.

Are my eating habits weird? Tbh I think they are average, apart from the weird washing hands/using forks thing. Not everyone needs massive 5 meals per day, in my opinion.
Reply 1
For breakfast I have a glass of milk.

The rest is a blur
Reply 2
Original post by SGHD26716
For breakfast I have a glass of milk.

The rest is a blur

Reply 3
Eat as you like, to hell with him
Original post by Ciel.
I'm really annoyed with my boyfriend because he keeps making all kinds of silly accusations, purely because I'm a bit underweight and he finds my eating habits weird. Just wanna know someone elses opinion on this - which one of us is being the unreasonable one?
- I eat breakfast every day - usually something light like cereal or musli, or a smoothie + fruit
- I eat normal dinner when he gets back from work (usually v. late afternoon/evening) - vegetarian take away or whatever I make for us
- late evening snack - something like yogurt, milk, or a bit of chocolate

I brush my teeth/wash my hands a bit obsessively whenever I eat because it makes me feel dirty lol and I hate eating/touching food with my fingers, especially certain types of food, because I find it gross so I use forks/spoons for literally everything. Although I did have some ED issues a long time ago, back in high school, and I'm now fully recovered, these little ocd habits stayed with me - so it's nothing to be worried about.

Are my eating habits weird? Tbh I think they are average, apart from the weird washing hands/using forks thing. Not everyone needs massive 5 meals per day, in my opinion.

So, you're not having lunch then?
Reply 5
Original post by Alive97
Eat as you like, to hell with him

Lol! :h:
Whilst he could be more sympathetic, given your previous issues with eating and obsessive behaviours, his accusations seem to come from a place of concern. Especially since you are underweight, it really doesn't sound like you are eating enough, so, although you may feel his thoughts are 'silly' objectively I think they sound quite valid. Maybe you should see a dietician/ doctor show them your diet and get a profesional opinion on whether this is a 'normal' amount to eat
Reply 7
Original post by Cubone-r
So, you're not having lunch then?

Nope. My breakfast is usually quite late, though. Most of the time, I wake up at around 10am/11am or even later.

Original post by maroumarou
Whilst he could be more sympathetic, given your previous issues with eating and obsessive behaviours, his accusations seem to come from a place of concern. Especially since you are underweight, it really doesn't sound like you are eating enough, so, although you may feel his thoughts are 'silly' objectively I think they sound quite valid. Maybe you should see a dietician/ doctor show them your diet and get a profesional opinion on whether this is a 'normal' amount to eat

I can see your point but it's not like I'm starving myself. I don't really see the point of eating more when I'm not hungry.
they're not really strange, just a little unusual. we're all different and 'strange' in our own ways anyway, so don't stress!
I think it's fine.

I only have lunch and supper most of the time bc I can't eat really early, but if I do have breakfast then I usually only have fruit during school and then supper once I'm home at 8:30.

But when I board at school bc I have the option to do so, I am basically forced to eat 3 full meals which I'm just not used to whereas everyone else is so it is seen as weird that I can never eat all of it but I've never had an ED or anything like that, I'm healthy and thin but not underweight so I think my eating habits are fine tbh
Don't you just hate people who always have an issue with everything. I'm an open person, have a very 'each to their own' mentality, what others choose to do with their life is their business. I never go around questioning why they do something or how weird they are for not doing things the way I do it. but I always ALWAYS find that people never reciprocate. And they always question or criticize the way I do things - everything from routines to how I dress to how I eat. Would tell a boyfriend straight to piss off if he ever called my eating habits - or anything else - weird.

and for the record no, there is nothing wrong with your diet at all. what is he even calling weird? the fact that you don't have lunch? pfft neither do I, some days I rarely have breakfast. I usually eat a big supper then snack after midnight. I don't care, thats how I eat and the only time I feel like eating. telling your boyfriend to **** off if he doesn't like it.

Quick Reply

Latest