The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Children playing feet away from open pools of raw sewage; drinking water pumped beside cracked pipes of untreated waste; human faeces flushed back into kitchen sinks and bathtubs whenever the rains come; people testing positive for hookworm, an intestinal parasite that thrives on extreme poverty.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/sep/05/hookworm-lowndes-county-alabama-water-waste-treatment-poverty?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

The US is not even 300 years old yet, so what do you expect?
Original post by Cubone-r

With a GDP like that and a superiority complex like they have - a lot better.
The US has its problems but it is a far greater, far better country than this one.

Let alone any country in the Third World. If it weren't they wouldn't be talking about building a wall to stop millions of people trying to illegally move there to live, would they?
Original post by astutehirstute
The US has its problems but it is a far greater, far better country than this one.

Not for the people with hookworm it isn't. In this country they would just pop on in to the NHS and get fixed.
(edited 6 years ago)
They would have them or worse, wherever they lived in the world.

The poor are always with us.
Reply 6
Children playing feet away from open pools of raw sewage; drinking water pumped beside cracked pipes of untreated waste; human faeces flushed back into kitchen sinks and bathtubs whenever the rains come; people testing positive for hookworm, an intestinal parasite that thrives on extreme poverty.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/sep/05/hookworm-lowndes-county-alabama-water-waste-treatment-poverty?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

So...... why don't they just dig cesspits in their yards? Not really rocket science.
They would have them or worse, wherever they lived in the world.

The poor are always with us.

No they are not. These are easily fixable problems that are unique to the US when compared to all the other wealthy western countries.

Original post by Cubone-r

It's the global super power...
(edited 6 years ago)

Let alone any country in the Third World. If it weren't they wouldn't be talking about building a wall to stop millions of people trying to illegally move there to live, would they?

x

Let's not forget the fact people are literally living in tents on the side of the street in one of the richest cities in the world. Capitalism on steroids. It's an absolute joke.

Our country is far from perfect but it's way better lmao, the last thing we need to be doing is looking at the US for ideas. Healthcare's a mess. Housing's a mess. Police force is a mess. Food industry is a mess. No, no, no. Big ****ity nope.
(edited 6 years ago)
It's actually not a developing country, it's just a failed state. Subtle but important difference.
This problem is restricted to a tiny number of extremely poor towns in the South and Midwest. By no means is it a national issue. The US is a developed economy, that's a fact, and has one of the highest living standards in the world. In the US unlike developing countries, people can at least work hard, get a job and start improving their own lives. No one has to live like this. That's the advantage of the free market capitalism that the US is an example of.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Castro Saint
Let's not forget the fact people are literally living in tents on the side of the street in one of the richest cities in the world. Capitalism on steroids. It's an absolute joke.

I'm no patriot but our country is far better lmao, the last thing we need to be doing is looking at the US for ideas. Healthcare's a mess. Housing's a mess. Police force is a mess. Food industry is a mess. No, no, no. Big ****ity nope.

have you been to London lately I was today in a 10 minutes walk from the station I saw at least 20 homeless people include a boy who look no older than 16 years old. i also saw people on drugs dirty and unhealthy looking.

I be to both Canada and America and saw the same social problems in both countries when I was in Toronto I was shook by the number of people sleeping rough in was mush higher than in London. 1 in 5 men in Toronto find themselves homeless sleeping rough at some time in there lives.

I saying that all first world countries have social problems it seems that the media highlight the problem in USA more than in other countries.
Not for the people with hookworm it isn't. In this country they would just pop on in to the NHS and get fixed.

In USA they pop down to a free health clinic and get hookworm fixed
Original post by looloo2134
have you been to London lately I was today in a 10 minutes walk from the station I saw at least 20 homeless people include a boy who look no older than 16 years old. i also saw people on drugs dirty and unhealthy looking.

I be to both Canada and America and saw the same social problems in both countries when I was in Toronto I was shook by the number of people sleeping rough in was mush higher than in London. 1 in 5 men in Toronto find themselves homeless sleeping rough at some time in there lives.

I saying that all first world countries have social problems it seems that the media highlight the problem in USA more than in other countries.

No doubt we have a homeless problem as well, yes. Especially in London... but not to this extent.

Reply 14
American here, - can confirm
What do you expect? They are fighting tooth and nail not to have universal healthcare like most first world (and some so-called third world) nations do. And our Conservative government seems to want to take us down to their level, like being that uncivilised is a great thing.

Care to elaborate?
(edited 6 years ago)

How unpatriotic of you.
Stop talking Britain down.
Original post by Eunomia
What do you expect? They are fighting tooth and nail not to have universal healthcare like most first world (and some so-called third world) nations do. And our Conservative government seems to want to take us down to their level, like being that uncivilised is a great thing.

Care to elaborate?

America is the wealthiest, most powerful, most influential nation on earth. We are so divided and enfeebled we can't even negotiate a free trade deal with the EU.

That is the greatness of the country bit. Not controversial I would have though

Any job you could do here, Doctor, Lawyer, Financier, University Lecturer, anything really, and you would be far better paid Stateside than here. Your standard of living would be superior, your house bigger and more luxurious, you would eat in nicer, better value restaurants, if you became ill you would have vastly superior medical care (even able choose your doctor, who'd have thought?) with a far better chance of survival if you had cancer or other potentially fatal conditions.

Even their dentistry is immeasurably better. They make jokes about how bad our teeth are. Embarrassing.

America being so big and varied you could even find a climate to suit you. Dry, sunny, whatever. If you prefer clouds and drizzle we probably edge that, I'll admit.

That's the better part.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Castro Saint
No doubt we have a homeless problem as well, yes. Especially in London... but not to this extent.

Okay, cool! We're playing the 'Let's take single attribute comparisons to determine a country's state' game!

I'm not American or British, so I'll just pick cancer rates.

What? The US has far better cancer survival rates than the UK?

And, in fact, better than most of the rest of the world? Whoah... So what you're saying is that the US makes people poor, but the NHS makes people dead.

Hunh. That's quite an argument you've got there.
America is the wealthiest, most powerful, most influential nation on earth. We are so divided and enfeebled we can't even negotiate a free trade deal with the EU.

That is the greatness of the country bit. Not controversial I would have though

Any job you could do here, Doctor, Lawyer, Financier, University Lecturer, anything really, and you would be far better paid Stateside than here. Your standard of living would be superior, your house bigger and more luxurious, you would eat in nicer, better value restaurants, if you became ill you would have vastly superior medical care (even able choose your doctor, who'd have thought?) with a far better chance of survival if you had cancer or other potentially fatal conditions.

Even their dentistry is immeasurably better. They make jokes about how bad our teeth are. Embarrassing.

America being so big and varied you could even find a climate to suit you. Dry, sunny, whatever. If you prefer clouds and drizzle we probably edge that, I'll admit.

That's the better part.

In other words: it's only better if you are rich or upper middle class (which most of the West and the rest of the world isn't)?

Latest