Hurricane Irma wreaks 'major damage' in Caribbean

Watch this thread
MrSuavetopia
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hurricane Irma has caused major flooding and damage to buildings on several Caribbean islands, France says.

The four "most solid" buildings on the island of Saint Martin have been destroyed, French Interior Minister Gérard Collomb announced.

There was still no news of casualties and more damage was possible, he said.

The category five hurricane, the highest possible level, has sustained wind speeds reaching 300km/h (185mph) as it sweeps through the Caribbean.

The most powerful Atlantic storm in a decade first hit Antigua and Barbuda, before moving on to Saint Martin and Saint Barthélemy.

It is then expected to move on towards Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic. In the US, Florida's Key West area has ordered a mandatory evacuation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-41172726

I'm guessing folks will only know of Saint Marten as the island with that airport. When you consider the size of these islands and the fact that the four most solid buildings are destroyed, it doesn't look great. Atlantic Hurricane season 2017 rolls on then Hopefully the casualities are sparse but I'm not hopeful.
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MrDystopia)
Hurricane Irma has caused major flooding and damage to buildings on several Caribbean islands, France says.

The four "most solid" buildings on the island of Saint Martin have been destroyed, French Interior Minister Gérard Collomb announced.

There was still no news of casualties and more damage was possible, he said.

The category five hurricane, the highest possible level, has sustained wind speeds reaching 300km/h (185mph) as it sweeps through the Caribbean.

The most powerful Atlantic storm in a decade first hit Antigua and Barbuda, before moving on to Saint Martin and Saint Barthélemy.

It is then expected to move on towards Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic. In the US, Florida's Key West area has ordered a mandatory evacuation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-41172726

I'm guessing folks will only know of Saint Marten as the island with that airport. When you consider the size of these islands and the fact that the four most solid buildings are destroyed, it doesn't look great. Atlantic Hurricane season 2017 rolls on then Hopefully the casualities are sparse but I'm not hopeful.
Terrible. Just days after Harvey, another one is about to wreck havoc

Meanwhile, Sir Richard Branson is planning on riding out the storm under his house... So casual.
http://uk.businessinsider.com/hurric...17-9?r=US&IR=T
Ninja Squirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I wonder if these recent hurricanes might make the old Donald think a little about his denial of climate change.
rhaegal100
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
"Global warming doesn't exist"
rhaegal100
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Command&Conquer)
I wonder if these recent hurricanes might make the old Donald think a little about his denial of climate change.
Donald Drumpf doesn't do much thinking
Ninja Squirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by rhaegal100)
Donald Drumpf doesn't do much thinking
:lol:
MrSuavetopia
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Update that after hitting Barbuda, Hurricane Irma (most powerful hurricane to ever hit the Carribean) has reportedly destroyed 95% of the island

This is some footage from Maho beach, the same beach linked in the OP. Shows how intense Irma was when it hit St Martin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA5qYrboTUE
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
19.23%
The paper was reasonable (134)
36.81%
Not feeling great about that exam... (108)
29.67%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
14.29%

Watched Threads