The Student Room Group

Places to go for a chilled elective.

I am a final year student with my medical elective coming during March/ April 2018 (6 weeks). I've left it fairly late as I've been pretty undecided on where to go/ what I want to do with it.
I've recently come to the conclusion that ideally I'd like to go somewhere that is very chilled in terms of how much they want you to be in the hospital/ wouldn't mind signing you off early...
The ideas for places I'd like to go have been the carribean, Sri Lanka or southern india. However I'm up for going anywhere where it's good to travel really.

Has anyone got any tips or previous experiences of relaxed electives that give you plenty of time for travelling?
bump
Caribbean is very laid back for sure - they were in Nevis anyway. I also found New Zealand docs very patriotic and just wanted you to leave the hospital and go see their country.

Whether they would just sign you off early will be very department/clinician specific though. Best source is probably what people have done before you - most med schools keep a database.
Avoid the USA, Canada, Australia for the most part and developed Europe.

Anywhere else and nobody really cares if you play your cards right. I've had numerous friends turn up for a day or two for their whole elective in the following places:

South Africa
Mauritius
India
Sri Lanka
Malaysia
Singapore
Trinidad and Tobago
St. Lucia

As above, a lot will depend on the specific hospital, department and clinician you are due to be working under.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending