admissions tutor favour general studies Watch

This discussion is closed.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SiAnY)
Only people who did 3 ASs have to do Key Skills in my sixth form. That means my sister has to do it - haha!
It's strange with all these different rules at colleges and sixth forms regarding Key Skills.
lilsunflower
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Controversial issues such as......?

Sounds more like my politics class
Well, my brother's class does stuff like handing out articles that need to be read and then the kids share their opinions.

Stuff like... "What do you feel about a deaf lesbian couple intentionally using artificial insemination to create deaf babies?"
sparkler
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i'd never even heard of general studies before i found this forum.!

Vladek
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Straight A people usually are dismissive of general studies because its not an exam you can revise for thus they normally get worse results in it. I'd say it was a good show of raw general knowledge, intelligence and debating/essay writing skills.

Uni's do look at all your grades, just becouse they don't use it as an entry subject, i mean you'd be dumb not to, what if you had two people with BBB results one has a GS at B and the other at U, who'd you take just from looking at the results?
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Vladek)
Straight A people usually are dismissive of general studies because its not an exam you can revise for thus they normally get worse results in it. I'd say it was a good show of raw general knowledge, intelligence and debating/essay writing skills.

Uni's do look at all your grades, just becouse they don't use it as an entry subject, i mean you'd be dumb not to, what if you had two people with BBB results one has a GS at B and the other at U, who'd you take just from looking at the results?
I agree!!! Also the statistics which universities sell themselves on (i.e. entry grades) do not distinguish between different subjects. This means that should someone achieve AAD but also an A in general studies, the university will favour them because it is effectively a 30 on the admissions stats. In my experience the people who are most dismissive (sp?) of GS are those that pass exams through parrot like repetition of information which they have revised to death but do not actually understand.
Cellardore
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lilsunflower)
Yeh.. My classmate got AAAAU and he got a half scholarship from Bristol and a full scholarship from Shell. They totally disregarded his U for Gen Stud.
ok, so i won't be discriminated against for having an E in general studies then?
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
If I get AAD (those 3 grades are not including general studies), then I would be discriminated.
serendipity
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hardly any unis take GS seriously
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
That's true. I feel better now. By the way, I don't take general studies anyway.
Random.Girl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I guess it depends on the subject but when I went to all my interviews they were like 'so you're doing chemistry, biology and maths' and when I said 'and general studies' they were just like 'hmmm'.

In reality I think schools like all pupils to do General Studies because they get money for the amount of A Levels ... also it's seen as relatively easy to gain a pass in (even if you get a E) ... although I find some of the marking a bit of joke ... in year 12 for one of the modules most people got a U, some an E and a couple a D ... they made everyone with a U retake (cause I got an E I didn't have to, unless I paid for it so I said hell no ) ... my friend amazingly went from a U to getting full marks on the retake when she'd tell you herself she did no extra work for it.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sparkler)
i'd never even heard of general studies before i found this forum.!

You haven't missed anything.
lucykins
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i got a U at GS AS..probs due to the fact i wrote essays on absolutly nothing...all the uni's i went to either didn't mention it or laugh that i got a U..i was accepted into my first choice. The course is such a waste of time....DITCH GS
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lucykins)
i got a U at GS AS..probs due to the fact i wrote essays on absolutly nothing...all the uni's i went to either didn't mention it or laugh that i got a U..i was accepted into my first choice. The course is such a waste of time....DITCH GS
Why did you do it to start with?
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Cellardore)
ok, so i won't be discriminated against for having an E in general studies then?
What are your other grades?

And I really doubt you will be. If I were you, I just wouldn't declare it on the form, and move on!
lucykins
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Why did you do it to start with?
becuase we were made to by the college as they got money for it. some of us were already taking 4 alevels and having an extra six exams seemed stupid, so the answer was to fail GS in the first year so they wouldn't make you carry on as you wouldn't pass and it would drag the college score down
Vladek
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Why not just do GS its no extra course work for another A-level grade. Just have to turn up to the exam and shine, just becouse you're bad at something doesn't make it worthless.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
General Studies is only useful to you if you apply to uni after you get your grades, before then who cares what you get predicted in GS? An A at A-level GS shows that you have a good intellectual capacity and are aware of the world around you (for my GS I wrote an essay about scottish devolution), it shows you have reasonable mathematics skills and have a basic grasp of another language - enough to communicate. It is not a completely useless A-level, but I think it means more if you aren't given lessons for it (like at my old school).
Pegasus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Vladek)

I was going to say something similar..for example if someone is doing all science subject a good grade in GS (in addition to their main A-levels) could show that they are a good all rouder.
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Pegasus)
I was going to say something similar..for example if someone is doing all science subject a good grade in GS (in addition to their main A-levels) could show that they are a good all rouder.
Basically, getting a fantastic grade for GS may help, and it certainly won't do any harm.. but don't expect anyone to be amazed or in awe.

If you get a rubbish grade, simply don't declare it.
mobb_theprequel
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Invisible)
People with AAAAE, with an E in General Studies AS, should shut up if they think they're clever.
This doesn't really account for those who knowingly and willingly take the piss though (a guy I know put 'egg' down for all his answers).

I know people with Es and Us, who got As otherwise, but decided to enact a little teen rebellion during the GS exam. Silly really... It's an easy fifth A for the taking.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (135)
18.6%
No (440)
60.61%
Not really bothered about them (151)
20.8%

Watched Threads