Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scottyoneill)
    i think general studies is the only true indication of intelligence in the whole uk education system (pre-uni) .... all other a levels are basically a test of how much work you want to put in, or how long u can be bothered to spend remembering text books and doing past papers...
    Hmmm.. I'd think AEAs are more accurate though. No one I know has ever studied for an AEA, and many top students fail it - 50% ungradeds

I did an Econs AEA, and it was HARD... unlike general studies, it actually tested depth as well, stuff you can't find in text books and lots of evaluation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Perhaps but there is probably no real assessment of intelligence overall that I've heard of. Seen a few ideas advocated such as IQ but they have their downfalls.
    True, but I think GS is a good test for those who wish to take on a degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    True, but I think GS is a good test for those who wish to take on a degree.
    I really don't want to be all patronising and diss GS, because I took it for A2.... but I really don't think it is of much help in assessing intelligence.

Honestly, I don't fare amazingly well on IQ tests, and I'm of average intelligence, only getting good grades coz' I worked hard, but I got 98% for GS, without any effort.

It would be easy for me to say, "*yay*! I'm smart coz' I got 98% for GS", but I think that the exam is very shallow and just doesn't require much intellectual thought.

However, stuff like AEAs seemed to be a better test of intelligence. I didn't prepare for my Econs AEA by studying or even doing a past paper, and I found the paper SERIOUSLY challenging. I got an M in the end, which I was very pleased with, although it was a damned struggled just to get an M.

Although, from another point of view, AEAs also generously hand out lots of U grades to top students, which is always very puzzling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    Honestly, I don't fare amazingly well on IQ tests, and I'm of average intelligence, only getting good grades coz' I worked hard, but I got 98% for GS, without any effort.
    The IQ test isn't a good standard for comparison

It would be easy for me to say, "*yay*! I'm smart coz' I got 98% for GS", but I think that the exam is very shallow and just doesn't require much intellectual thought.
    Well I think writing essays about current political and social issues is quite intellectual - maybe they don't do that anymore.

However, stuff like AEAs seemed to be a better test of intelligence. I didn't prepare for my Econs AEA by studying or even doing a past paper, and I found the paper SERIOUSLY challenging. I got an M in the end, which I was very pleased with, although it was a damned struggled just to get an M.

Although, from another point of view, AEAs also generously hand out lots of U grades to top students, which is always very puzzling.
    AEA's test your ability at a specific subject - not neccessarily a general marker of intelligence.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 12, 2004
Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.