The Student Room Group

The Age Old Question: Laptop or Desktop For University

I will be doing a Chemical engineering degree and I will want to play some of the latest games as well but I do not know whether to pick a powerful laptop or a desktop and a small laptop if needed. The only problem is that I am not living at home (I will live in Halls) and home is over an hour away and I don't think that having a desktop makes sense to take back and forth which I also do not want to do due to their sheer weight and I think that it is stupid to have two devices that basically do the same thing (desktop and laptop) as I know myself and I know that one would take space and be used and one would get neglected. I found a gaming laptop that was 15" and I don't know whether or not that size of laptop is portable or if it will be heavy and hard to carry in a bag. I also do not know the life expectancy of a laptop if it is used for gaming, if they die in roughly 3 years then I will certainly not pick a laptop.

I apologise for making this post lengthy but please can someone help me pick?
Reply 1
Original post by BigOlStonker
I will be doing a Chemical engineering degree and I will want to play some of the latest games as well but I do not know whether to pick a powerful laptop or a desktop and a small laptop if needed. The only problem is that I am not living at home (I will live in Halls) and home is over an hour away and I don't think that having a desktop makes sense to take back and forth which I also do not want to do due to their sheer weight and I think that it is stupid to have two devices that basically do the same thing (desktop and laptop) as I know myself and I know that one would take space and be used and one would get neglected. I found a gaming laptop that was 15" and I don't know whether or not that size of laptop is portable or if it will be heavy and hard to carry in a bag. I also do not know the life expectancy of a laptop if it is used for gaming, if they die in roughly 3 years then I will certainly not pick a laptop.

You are going to university to read Chemical Engineering, not play computer games.

Fifteen inches is pretty much bang on average for a full-sized laptop. You'll occasionally find seventeen-inch desktop-replacement machines, but those are a whole nother price bracket.

Also laptops and desktops don't necessarily do the same thing. My laptop is good-spec and I use it for my work and some gaming. My desktop isn't as good, spec-wise, but it has a much larger display and i've fitted it with a much larger hard drive, making it ideal for watching films and television programmes on. In addition to this, I have a tablet for some other casual gaming, a cheap netbook to work on when I'm out, a well-specced phone which also has access to my work (so I can write or make notes if something occurs to me while I'm out and away from all my other hardware), as well as a handful of other old devices which I use for single, specific purposes.

Also a laptop will last much longer than three years if you look after it. My last one lasted five years, and was (and still is) fully working when I retired it (which I did because I needed higher spec for what I was doing).
Reply 2
Why not both?
I would go for laptop - it is easier to transport so you can take it home, to uni or the library, it takes up less space so you have more room in your luggage and in your own room and in most cases, cheaper and easier to run.

Would you spend a lot of time gaming?
Original post by Tootles
You are going to university to read Chemical Engineering, not play computer games.

Fifteen inches is pretty much bang on average for a full-sized laptop. You'll occasionally find seventeen-inch desktop-replacement machines, but those are a whole nother price bracket.

Also laptops and desktops don't necessarily do the same thing. My laptop is good-spec and I use it for my work and some gaming. My desktop isn't as good, spec-wise, but it has a much larger display and i've fitted it with a much larger hard drive, making it ideal for watching films and television programmes on. In addition to this, I have a tablet for some other casual gaming, a cheap netbook to work on when I'm out, a well-specced phone which also has access to my work (so I can write or make notes if something occurs to me while I'm out and away from all my other hardware), as well as a handful of other old devices which I use for single, specific purposes.

Also a laptop will last much longer than three years if you look after it. My last one lasted five years, and was (and still is) fully working when I retired it (which I did because I needed higher spec for what I was doing).

Yeah I know about the playing games but I am just mentioning it because I will most likely play game as it is a part of my study plan which I used in sixth form (I got A* A* A) I know work will be harder in university but I have already talked to my university tutor and he says that the rough study plan I have made is good enough to get me a first if I stick to it.

Laptops and desktops do the same things just if one has better specifications for a task it will obviously do it better but that doesn't dismiss the other option or deem it completely useless and different.

In this case what do you recommend then?
Original post by cheesecakelove
I would go for laptop - it is easier to transport so you can take it home, to uni or the library, it takes up less space so you have more room in your luggage and in your own room and in most cases, cheaper and easier to run.

Would you spend a lot of time gaming?

No I would only spend about an hour playing games when I have finished what I need to do work-wise
Reply 6
Yeah I know about the playing games but I am just mentioning it because I will most likely play game as it is a part of my study plan which I used in sixth form (I got A* A* A) I know work will be harder in university but I have already talked to my university tutor and he says that the rough study plan I have made is good enough to get me a first if I stick to it.

Laptops and desktops do the same things just if one has better specifications for a task it will obviously do it better but that doesn't dismiss the other option or deem it completely useless and different.

In this case what do you recommend then?
I'd recommend you get an n-1 top-of-the-line laptop.

By this, I mean the highest end of the previous generation of devices. This way you're saving money (some of them will sell for as little as half of their original prices) and still getting a device with good enough build quality that you won't need to worry about it getting damaged in the line of duty, and with a high enough spec that it'll still stand up well in four or five years.

I buy pretty much exclusively n-1, and thus generally pay around half price for my devices, and they're usually in service for four to five years, after which I retire them in still-fully working condition.
Original post by Tootles
I'd recommend you get an n-1 top-of-the-line laptop.

By this, I mean the highest end of the previous generation of devices. This way you're saving money (some of them will sell for as little as half of their original prices) and still getting a device with good enough build quality that you won't need to worry about it getting damaged in the line of duty, and with a high enough spec that it'll still stand up well in four or five years.

I buy pretty much exclusively n-1, and thus generally pay around half price for my devices, and they're usually in service for four to five years, after which I retire them in still-fully working condition.

Yeah that is the type of laptop I had planned to buy already and I just came here before I took the plunge.
Thanks so much for the help I really appreciate it

A desktop isn't really practical if you're going to be regularly going back and forth between university. If you're getting a laptop then obviously you're paying a significant price premium for the portability factor, but you don't seem to have much choice unfortunately. I think people exaggerate portability issues with laptops. I've got a 17" 3kg laptop and okay, it's not exactly light, but I can't say I have any huge issues carrying it around with me and I've got a rucksack with a 17" compartment so I can take it around quite easily. I would suggest that you're careful with your choice of laptop though because, particularly if it's performance you're after, value for money is a lot harder with laptops than desktops.
Yeah that is the type of laptop I had planned to buy already and I just came here before I took the plunge.
Thanks so much for the help I really appreciate it

I'd also recommend you buy yourself a monitor, if you're going with a laptop. I've got a 24' monitor to use alongside my laptop, and it makes writing essays so much easier because you can put up a couple of pages side by side on the monitor (for papers you're referencing from) whilst writing on the laptop screen. It's an absolute godsend, and a decent monitor need only set you back £100 or so. Pretty hand for sticking a movie on too.
Original post by Plagioclase
A desktop isn't really practical if you're going to be regularly going back and forth between university. If you're getting a laptop then obviously you're paying a significant price premium for the portability factor, but you don't seem to have much choice unfortunately. I think people exaggerate portability issues with laptops. I've got a 17" 3kg laptop and okay, it's not exactly light, but I can't say I have any huge issues carrying it around with me and I've got a rucksack with a 17" compartment so I can take it around quite easily. I would suggest that you're careful with your choice of laptop though because, particularly if it's performance you're after, value for money is a lot harder with laptops than desktops.

Right I just wanted to hear people's experiences with carrying laptops around and I am glad that they aren't as bad as I thought they were. I think I have found the best value for money and I thank you for telling me about how a laptop fares with travel
Rule of thumb: If you already own a desktop, keep it and maybe get a cheap laptop as well (a Chromebook or similar). If you don't own a desktop then get a laptop.
Same issue, I dont know what to get. I was planning to get mac and fit in with everyone. But I decided, I might just get DELL XPS 15 for the price of a mac. Cover up dell logo with a laptop skin and go on from there.
Original post by lukey67791
I'd also recommend you buy yourself a monitor, if you're going with a laptop. I've got a 24' monitor to use alongside my laptop, and it makes writing essays so much easier because you can put up a couple of pages side by side on the monitor (for papers you're referencing from) whilst writing on the laptop screen. It's an absolute godsend, and a decent monitor need only set you back £100 or so. Pretty hand for sticking a movie on too.

That's a good idea I think I might do that thanks for the advice!
Original post by lukey67791

Would definitely second this, I have the same arrangement and it feels like I've got a desktop.
Reply 15
There are many capable laptops that have GPUs inside them. Though if you want to play games at 4k the price then is bonkers.

I would say the most I would spend is for a laptop with a GTX 1060 inside, 1050TI at minimum.

Though you are in college. And some classes can last for hours, so battery life is VERY important. You can't have low price, high performance and good battery life at the same time.

Several machines pop up as good ideas:

Though most inconspicuous laptops that have dGPUs are not cheap.

If you have an unlimited budget I would recommend something like the GS63VR Max Q or Razer blade, but lets be honest you aren't going to spend 2k+ on a laptop.

Though Thunderbolt 3 allows for an interesting system. Sadly your gonna end up spending just as much as the Blade or GS63.

Now desktops have an interesting comeback to the portability issue.

Mini ITX. Think of it like a normal motherboard just leave 1 PCI-Express x16 slot, 2 ram slots and a CPU socket. You can get some VERY small machines with this. Though you pay a price. Smaller boards cause more expensive methods of cramming all the hardware on (i.e. Asus slapping Daughterboards on motherboards for Power Delivery). Also smaller cases apparently cost more.

You could even bring it to the library (may look just unusual) and get a cheaper but not horrid laptop for portable use (Remote access is the key).

Now you say your doing chemical engineering. If you have to do things like use computers to do things like calculations and very heavy loads, then just make sure to bring the power brick.
university life is about more than just study, if you studied straight for 5 years with no time to relax you would end up hating what you do, so why not play computer games when you are taking a break from studying, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.I have no idea what your problem is, you have admitted you play computer games but think they should forget about games for the duration of his course. You need to learn to relax a bit, there is more to life than work/study!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending