The Student Room Group

When does sixth form start to get hard?

Just did my first day today, seems alright....

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Agent456

idk maybe around exam time or in year 13 especially. Usually after the first term or so when you realise how much there is to learn.
Back in the day, I didn't find it as hard. But it depends what subject you do and if you enjoy it. If you don't, then you will find it hard.
Reply 3
I mean like when does the "Large amount of homework" and "Lots of exams" come in?
Reply 4
Your first day isn't gonna be hard. Exams will be in May/June. Homework will be dependent on the teachers and the school/college.

Generally it'll get more difficult when you get deeper into the topics you're studying.
Reply 5
Original post by Amefish
Your first day isn't gonna be hard. Exams will be in May/June. Homework will be dependent on the teachers and the school/college

Hmm so May/june then.
Reply 6
Hmm so May/june then.

You should put hard work in long before that
Reply 7
Original post by Amefish
You should put hard work in long before that

Yeah ik, I'm going to start revision round Christmas time, I'll just go over notes from now then Christmas time I'll start proper revision.
I spent each day of first year wondering the exact same thing. Will probably spend each day of second year doing the same thing

To be honest it's already got difficult for me and it's only the second day!

But don't worry it will get easier however during exam times everyone would be stressed obviously

All the best!
You've done 1 day! :lol: You'll start to feel the difficulty when you sit your first test. (which is A level content, not just GCSE level stuff). In my first Biology test in AS (which was probably around November) I got my first ever D which was a bit of a disappointment and I realised I'd have to work a lot harder than I did at GCSE.
Reply 11

during December because you have the long term where it seems endless and also its the period of time where students don't really remember their work well but take each day a step at a time because if you procrastinate then...you will end up with a backlog of work
Reply 12
Would you guys say around christmas time is a good time to revise and from now I will just go over my notes?
I remember thinking the first week or so was easy-ish as we were just revising GCSE/crossover stuff. But then, by week 3, I was in over my head and really had to up my game to keep up (although this was in Chemistry!).
Reply 14
Original post by Bubs051213
I remember thinking the first week or so was easy-ish as we were just revising GCSE/crossover stuff. But then, by week 3, I was in over my head and really had to up my game to keep up (although this was in Chemistry!).

Ah, I'm doing A-level Economics, BTEC level 3 Business, BTEC level 3 ICT.
I remember the first month was quite easy as we were just crossing over and getting used to things so the teachers seemed to be easy on us, but then after that month the workload kept increasing. But then after Christmas it gets really difficult because exams are fast approaching there's so much revision to do etc. But I suppose it depends on how well you cope with things like that.
Christmas time for sure
The first year of A levels was NOT easy, but not the hardest. I'm going into A2 and my stress levels have already doubled - personal statements, entry tests for university, refreshing past knowledge, choosing universities, etc. GCSEs were a breeze compared to A levels. I just learnt the revision guides and got all A*s. You really need to understand the content in A levels though, don't rely on a revision guide alone. It's not just the exams that are hard, but thinking about what you want to do after sixth form, finding work experience and volunteering can be stressful as well. Everyone's first day at college is chilled, probably even the first few weeks, until the class tests.

I'd say make notes everyday after lessons, but only like 1 or 2 hours a day. Class tests will be hard, I had 10 A*s at GCSE and in my first Biology test, I had a C, and a D in my English Literature. You'll find that you cannot revise in the same way you did for GCSEs and you will need to dedicate a lot of time to revision and extra reading. I started properly revising around Christmas time for mocks (4 to 6 hours a day), after my mocks I stuck to about 3 to 4 hours a day and then in the Easter holidays I did 6 hours a day. In my AS, ended with AAAA and full UMS in 6 of my 9 exams :smile:

It's really important you start early, probably not as early as now but I would advise to make notes at the end of the day to make sure you understand the content you were taught in class. Then revise again for each class test as soon as you are given them. Make sure you revise efficiently and do what works for you best, such as doing past papers, flash cards, whatever. As long as you understand what you are learning.
Year 13.
I started properly yesterday and it's already hard!

Quick Reply

Latest