What languages does your school offer GCSEs/A-levels in?

Watch
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
A point of interest for me has always been languages, and I was quite fortunate that my university offered a number of different ones, including Spanish, French, German, and Mandarin, but I don't think all will offer the same.

What languages does/did your school offer? And are there any others you wish it did?
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
At the time, my high school only offered French and German, but now they offer Spanish as well. My sixth form had A Levels in French, German and Spanish, and GCSE Latin. I'd have liked to study Italian at GCSE, but it wasn't available unfortunately
kilner
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
French and German only - both have EXTREMELY small class each (I believe German about 4, French about 7) despite it being a year of 300 people.. Oh, and a non accredited sign language course is available for Gen. Studies students.
Etoile
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
For GCSE my school offered French, German and Spanish. I then went to a sixth form college which due to its size was able to offer more - French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian and Japanese. I took French, German and Italian for my A levels - I wanted to do Russian instead of Italian but had a timetabling clash with German (still sad about that 5 years later!). When I was at school I really wanted to do Latin but it wasn't offered, so I took a module in it at uni to make up for it
queenmeelzx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My school do Spanish, German and French. Not really much of a variety, not too sure why? I wished it also did Italian and Swedish!

xx <3 Meelz
username2571271
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My school did French, Spanish and German at GCSE and A-level, but if you spoke another language, you could take a GCSE in it (I had a friend who did GCSE Polish and someone else was doing GCSE Arabic)

At A-level, class sizes were seriously small (only 2 of us doing French) and once the other person dropped it, I was moved to another school with more people taking it :yep: Thir school didn't offer German tho

I wanted to do A-level Spanish but wasn't allowed to
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (541)
33.92%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (657)
41.19%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (324)
20.31%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (73)
4.58%

Watched Threads