The Student Room Group

A levels query

Hi so I've been out of the English school curriculum for about two years now
After finishing my gcses I left to go to Asia my dads new job.
I didn't finish school there and want to finish here instead
So having missed both years of college I want to do both of them (privately) in the summer of 2018.

The problem is that I'm hearing about some alevel reforms (not clear bout what exactly)
But I hear them saying stuff like they may not accept me or They'll make me go to class... and so on.

What are your thoughts on this
I'm not currently in the U.K. But will be in January time.
I have what somewhat prepared for the exams though i am unsure about the practical side
I'm taking chemistry and biology, the third will be a language which I'm not too bad at.
Again, please do say any problems/issues i may encounter and if there is anything I could do to make solve then
Reply 1
I moved from Malaysia to UK in 2015, so basically I came here during the time A-level newly reformed. I didn't find the learning differ much from both countries. Though it really helps if you've somewhat done the same level of study in whatever country you are moving from. For example, before I left for A-levels in the UK, I was doing a foundation at university with the same subjects as the one I chose for A-levels, Maths and the triple sciences. These are global subjects and the stuff you learn at each level doesnt differ much, as long as they are in equivalence and it helps if the country you moved to in Asia is under commonwealth, as they typically would follow the british education system. For the exams, if you're willing to pay the fees, then I dont think you have to go to the classes personally. It's just that colleges are typically subsidised for the exam fees, so they expect students to do well in them, that's why you have to go to college

Quick Reply

Latest