The Student Room Group

New friends at sixth form

Hi everyone
I've just joined sixth form and I know it's only a few days in, but I haven't found any friends yet. I have anxiety, so haven't really been joining in the team building activities, but I don't think that really matters because it's all in forms, and my form is quite small and 75% is a big group of boys who all seem to be friends, and the rest are girls who all gave me the dirtiest looks ever for some reason. Today we had some talks on stuff like being yourself and all that, and I just hate how even at sixth form where people are supposed to have grown up a bit, the students still totally disrespect the teachers.
I'm just so worried I'm not going to make friends at all. It's not like I haven't spoken to anyone at all, I just don't have anyone to like hang out with at break and stuff. Any advice on how to find some friends? Lessons start properly on Friday so I was hoping to make friends in lessons, but when I go in who am I meant to sit with? And I just can't approach people for fear of being laughed at or rejected. I don't want to spend the whole of sixth form alone so any advice would be good.
Thanks
Just try not to worry too much about it. :smile: When your lessons start you'll have more opportunities to make new friends and you can ask them if you can hang around with them at Break and Lunch. I was in your exact same position a year ago, for some reason I thought that if I didn't make friends within the first week I'd make no friends at all. That's absolutely not true! If you see someone else sitting on their own go up to them and start a conversation and soon you'll meet new people. People will also start approaching you too! It wont happen straight away but try not to feel too down about it because you will absolutely make some great friends if you put yourself out there and just be yourself and be nice to people. It's sixth form so its a fresh start and I guarantee that there will be so many other people like you who are feeling the same way. If someone smiles at you in the corridor, go up to them and talk to them! Good luck! Just remain positive and things will work out
Original post by hopefulmedic101
Just try not to worry too much about it. :smile: When your lessons start you'll have more opportunities to make new friends and you can ask them if you can hang around with them at Break and Lunch. I was in your exact same position a year ago, for some reason I thought that if I didn't make friends within the first week I'd make no friends at all. That's absolutely not true! If you see someone else sitting on their own go up to them and start a conversation and soon you'll meet new people. People will also start approaching you too! It wont happen straight away but try not to feel too down about it because you will absolutely make some great friends if you put yourself out there and just be yourself and be nice to people. It's sixth form so its a fresh start and I guarantee that there will be so many other people like you who are feeling the same way. If someone smiles at you in the corridor, go up to them and talk to them! Good luck! Just remain positive and things will work out

Thank you :smile: I'll try to stay positive and hopefully you're right and I'll make some new friends in lessons.

Quick Reply

Latest