The Student Room Group

TOASTIE's toil for 8s!

Scroll to see replies

I'm on post 193!! I'm getting there!! :biggrin: (although I'll probably finish reading it tomorrow :tongue:)
Please add me to the tag list!! I love your GYG :biggrin:
Original post by nyxnko_
I'm on post 193!! I'm getting there!! :biggrin: (although I'll probably finish reading it tomorrow :tongue:)
Please add me to the tag list!! I love your GYG :biggrin:

Post 193?! gosh don’t you have some work to do?! Thanks:biggrin:
Of course:tongue:
Original post by Toastiekid
Post 193?! gosh don’t you have some work to do?! Thanks:biggrin:
Of course:tongue:

I'm procrastinating :tongue: I've spent the last few hours on that girls vs boys thread and reading your GYG :yep: (that's not something to be proud of btw)
Thanks for adding me :hugs:
Original post by nyxnko_
I'm procrastinating :tongue: I've spent the last few hours on that girls vs boys thread and reading your GYG :yep: (that's not something to be proud of btw)
Thanks for adding me :hugs:

I’ve done that many a time:wink:
DO THE WORK
that’s okay:biggrin:
I’ve done that many a time:wink:
DO THE WORK
that’s okay:biggrin:

good to know I'm not the only one :tongue:
I will :wink:
ittttttttt's Thursday:yeah:
the past few days (weds and thurs) have been really good days:yay:
I've felt weirdly happy which was lovely:yep:

WEDNESDAY
my day began with toast...:woohoo:
maths
asdfghjkl we got our mock paper ones back:vroam:
I'm over the moon; I got 73/80 on a paper which we were told was the 'hardest gcse paper' our maths department have seen:yikes:
we spent the rest of the paper going back through mistakes, mine were mainly from not reading the question properly:thumbsdown:
biology
...we did protein synthesis:talkhand:
I 60% understood it but the other 40% of me was very confused:shy2:
I've been set quite a long homework on it though so hopefully it'll help consolidate my learning:please:
French
I was dreading this lesson so much (for personal reasons) but it was actually a brilliant lesson:proud:
We started module 8 and I learnt so much:smartass:
after school
volunteered at cooking club: they made blueberry muffins:smug:
then came home and did absolutely nothing:dontknow:

THURSDAY
whoops...this morning I ended up getting to school really early so I hung out in the library with my friends:gah:
maths
we did combinations and counting methods which we've never done before. I found it really interesting:grin:
English
after my English teacher spending a g e s describing his half term, we looked at writing to argue.
We read a guardian article about boaty mcboatface which I found hilarious:giggle:
French
another great lesson:goofy:
we did more of module 8, I learnt a lot of new vocab to do with climate change etc.
Music
my teacher made us flashcards and definitions for all the key parts in the Brandenburg concerto so I sat on the floor with my friend and matched them up:grouphugs:
Mandarin
we were learning our controlled assessments:hmmmm:
Although, yes, I got a bit distracted by the internet (though I joined the all-day revision thread so it kinda was useful?!)...I did get back on track and finish learning my presentation.
I also may have started making memes in the middle of the lesson which I sent to my friend [in the lesson] and she spontaneously burst out laughing...this led to my teacher looking so confused:gigg:
1 down, 10 to go:headfire:

after school
went to the library and did some tassomai with my friends (37%:gthumb:)
then hopped on the minibus to the physics revision session.
we did radioactivity which, fortunately, I'd revised so I didn't look like the world's biggest idiot:party:
then I had a piano lesson...my teacher somehow didn't pick up on the fact that I'd not exactly practiced:sad:
now I'm going to have a shower before getting on with my maths homework:love: and maybe my biology homework:dry:

TOASTIEKID
22/02/18
(edited 6 years ago)

WEDNESDAY
maths
I'm over the moon; I got 73/80 on a paper which we were told was the 'hardest gcse paper' our maths department have seen:yikes:
we spent the rest of the paper going back through mistakes, mine were mainly from not reading the question properly:thumbsdown:
biology
I've been set quite a long homework on it though so hopefully it'll help consolidate my learning:please:
French
I was dreading this lesson so much (for personal reasons) but it was actually a brilliant lesson:proud:
after school

THURSDAY
whoops...this morning I ended up getting to school really early so I hung out in the library with my friends:gah:
maths
we did combinations and counting methods which we've never done before. I found it really interesting:grin:
English
after my English teacher spending a g e s describing his half term, we looked at writing to argue.
We read a guardian article about boaty mcboatface which I found hilarious:giggle:
French
we did more of module 8, I learnt a lot of new vocab to do with climate change etc.
Music
my teacher made us flashcards and definitions for all the key parts in the Brandenburg concerto so I sat on the floor with my friend and matched them up:grouphugs:
Mandarin
Although, yes, I got a bit distracted by the internet (though I joined the all-day revision thread so it kinda was useful?!)...I did get back on track and finish learning my presentation.
I also may have started making memes in the middle of the lesson which I sent to my friend [in the lesson] and she spontaneously burst out laughing...this led to my teacher looking so confused:gigg:

after school
we did radioactivity which, fortunately, I'd revised so I didn't look like the world's biggest idiot:party:
then I had a piano lesson...my teacher somehow didn't pick up on the fact that I'd not exactly practiced:sad:
now I'm going to have a shower before getting on with my maths homework:love: and maybe my biology homework:dry:

TOASTIEKID
22/02/18

Really random question, How did you get so good at English Lit and Lang?
Original post by Ihatelife2
Really random question, How did you get so good at English Lit and Lang?

Not that random:biggrin:
Give me a mo...I’ll edit this and tag you with a response later:tongue:

[EDIT]
@Ihatelife2
Hey, sorry this has taken a while:colondollar:
For literature
-knowing the texts inside out! (If you don't know the plot etc how can you answer a question on it?!)
-learning quotes! I like to use quizlet and physical flashcards for learning them. Without knowing quotes you're very limited marks-wise.
-analyse structure...so many people forget to analyse it, you set yourself apart from them by analysing it!
-hold a critical viewpoint, mention how effectively the writer achieved the effect on the reader.
-don't retell the story.ever.
-context! Don't forget about it but I try to put it in where it makes sense with the rest of the answer.
-learn key themes and quotes relating to them
-timings! Work out how long you'll need and stick to them:wink:
That's all I personally can think of for lit but these guides on unseen poetry and the power and conflict cluster are great!

For language
-reading non-fiction...I found reading newspapers really helped with my paper two section B.
-DON'T CRITIQUE
-know what exactly each question is asking you (Mr Bruff has some videos on them)
-timings are so important with all the questions!
-be unique, pick something that will interest the examiner for creative writing.
-don't go for what's obvious (except on q1 of both papers!)
-embed all your quotes in a sentence; it flows much better.
-look at model answers, see what they do and how they hit the Mark scheme.
Also I'd look at the first few pages of @troubletracking' s gyg where she's given great English language advice:smile:

For both
-practice practice practice:u:
-explain your ideas clearly
-be unique, original and perceptive
-do your best:biggrin:

These are mainly things I've been told to do over and over again by my teacher, there are so many more ways to succeed in it!
How are you finding it right now? Which texts are you doing?
Good luck, I hope this helps!
(edited 6 years ago)
omg so proud of you for that awesome maths result!
:hugs:

you really underestimate how good you are :yep:
well done on your maths result! i never do particularly well in the exams:frown: what do you do to get those results?:smile:
well done for maths!!
hehe it's funny when teachers don't pick up on the fact that you haven't practiced :tongue:
btw, I gave up on reading through your GYG :sorry: it was taking too long and I had something else that I wanted to do
Original post by clouddbubbles
omg so proud of you for that awesome maths result!
:hugs:

you really underestimate how good you are :yep:

Thank you:h:
I don’t know why...I never really leave an exam feeling very confident about it:colondollar:
Original post by entertainmyfaith
well done on your maths result! i never do particularly well in the exams:frown: what do you do to get those results?:smile:

Thank you:h:
I practised pretty much everything that could possibly come up on the paper (at some point this year) and I just generally revise maths a lot more than my other subjects:colondollar:
And I went through old papers and made a list of my mistakes which I then went through and worked on:tongue:
Original post by nyxnko_
well done for maths!!
hehe it's funny when teachers don't pick up on the fact that you haven't practiced :tongue:
btw, I gave up on reading through your GYG :sorry: it was taking too long and I had something else that I wanted to do

aha thanks:h:
I’m not offended; it should not be a form of procrastination. Also, you’re here now and that’s what counts:u:
aha thanks:h:
I’m not offended; it should not be a form of procrastination. Also, you’re here now and that’s what counts:u:

you're so sweet :hugs:
i guess I was using it as procrastination :tongue:
will follow from now on :biggrin:

WEDNESDAY
maths
biology
French
after school

THURSDAY
maths
English
French
Music
Mandarin

after school

TOASTIEKID
22/02/18

amazing results Lola congrats xxxx
Not that random:biggrin:
Give me a mo...I’ll edit this and tag you with a response later:tongue:

[EDIT]
@Ihatelife2
Hey, sorry this has taken a while:colondollar:
For literature
-knowing the texts inside out! (If you don't know the plot etc how can you answer a question on it?!)
-learning quotes! I like to use quizlet and physical flashcards for learning them. Without knowing quotes you're very limited marks-wise.
-analyse structure...so many people forget to analyse it, you set yourself apart from them by analysing it!
-hold a critical viewpoint, mention how effectively the writer achieved the effect on the reader.
-don't retell the story.ever.
-context! Don't forget about it but I try to put it in where it makes sense with the rest of the answer.
-learn key themes and quotes relating to them
-timings! Work out how long you'll need and stick to them:wink:
That's all I personally can think of for lit but these guides on unseen poetry and the power and conflict cluster are great!

For language
-reading non-fiction...I found reading newspapers really helped with my paper two section B.
-DON'T CRITIQUE
-know what exactly each question is asking you (Mr Bruff has some videos on them)
-timings are so important with all the questions!
-be unique, pick something that will interest the examiner for creative writing.
-don't go for what's obvious (except on q1 of both papers!)
-embed all your quotes in a sentence; it flows much better.
-look at model answers, see what they do and how they hit the Mark scheme.
Also I'd look at the first few pages of @troubletracking' s gyg where she's given great English language advice:smile:

For both
-practice practice practice:u:
-explain your ideas clearly
-be unique, original and perceptive
-do your best:biggrin:

These are mainly things I've been told to do over and over again by my teacher, there are so many more ways to succeed in it!
How are you finding it right now? Which texts are you doing?
Good luck, I hope this helps!

Thank you so much. I honestly didn't expect to get such a detailed and helpful answer so thanks again for that.
I'm doing ok in English I guess but not as good as I would like to. In English literature, I average about 25 marks in a question and in my most recent English language mock, I got 63 marks. So my grades in English are a 7 in literature and 6 in language (according to my teacher's boundaries). I really want to get a 9 in both at the end of the year but I am nowhere near that. I will try my best to follow your advice and all the other advice and tips on the internet and maybe I might get a 9.
The texts I study are:
*Great Expectations(My hatred for Pip is unfathomable)
*An Inspector Calls(Who/What is Inspector Goole?!?! We will never ever know:frown: )
*Macbeth(Probably my joint-favourite text along with AIC)
*Poetry - Power and Conflict( IMO tissue is the worst poem. Just sucks really.)

What are your opinions on any of these texts? Hate any? Love any?

Your GYG is one of my favourites btw. Really love your commitment and dedication to it. Happy I found it because it is motivating AF to read. I spent quite some time reading it all but I have no regrets:h:.
Original post by nyxnko_
you're so sweet :hugs:
i guess I was using it as procrastination :tongue:
will follow from now on :biggrin:

aha me with other people’s gygs:tongue:
Original post by Ihatelife2
Thank you so much. I honestly didn't expect to get such a detailed and helpful answer so thanks again for that.
I'm doing ok in English I guess but not as good as I would like to. In English literature, I average about 25 marks in a question and in my most recent English language mock, I got 63 marks. So my grades in English are a 7 in literature and 6 in language (according to my teacher's boundaries). I really want to get a 9 in both at the end of the year but I am nowhere near that. I will try my best to follow your advice and all the other advice and tips on the internet and maybe I might get a 9.
The texts I study are:
*Great Expectations(My hatred for Pip is unfathomable)
*An Inspector Calls(Who/What is Inspector Goole?!?! We will never ever know:frown: )
*Macbeth(Probably my joint-favourite text along with AIC)
*Poetry - Power and Conflict( IMO tissue is the worst poem. Just sucks really.)

What are your opinions on any of these texts? Hate any? Love any?

Your GYG is one of my favourites btw. Really love your commitment and dedication to it. Happy I found it because it is motivating AF to read. I spent quite some time reading it all but I have no regrets:h:.

no problem:hugs:
I'm assuming you're aqa English:dontknow:
obviously a 9 in both would be amazing but it's not the most important thing in life; in a few years you'll look back and realise that gcses aren't such a big deal:emog:
also 6s and 7s are brilliant grades, you should be able to springboard off them with lots of practise:grin:
I do Frankenstein, Pigeon English, Macbeth and Power and conflict poetry:gthumb:
I admit I don't really like Macbeth but weirdly I find it easiest to answer questions on and memorise quotes for:confused:
I like the poetry, not sure which would be my favourite though (give me a few weeks; I have a mock on it in March!).
awww thank you:^_^:
I'm glad you find it motivating but please don't use it for procrastination:ahhhhh:
see you 'round:lol:
aha me with other people’s gygs:tongue:

aww.. :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending