The Student Room Group

TOASTIE's toil for 8s!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lukem14
Hi, just wondering how do you make revision notes? Sorry if you’ve already said this but only just found your thread.

I’m not really that great at taking notes for revision (especially not now that exams have started) but what I did for the sciences was I watched a YouTube video on a topic whilst noting stuff they said down. Later I’d test myself online and jot down the questions I got wrong on flashcards (if I can be bothered) and test myself. I tend to make my notes kinda brief/to the point as I know I won’t look at them again (as I just write down stuff to remember it) but it depends on how you learn stuff.
Good luck with exams:hugs: I’m sure you’ll find your own way of revising!
Original post by Toastiekid
ugh I know I’m so exhausted already:yep: only sat 4/23!!!
I completely agree, unless you plan on writing it down as open the paper then there’s no way you’ll remember it. I’ve just been so weirdly chilled before the exams...it’s uncanny:colondollar: like everyone around me will be melting down and I’ll be asking someone if they’ve seen film X or something:lol:

Isn't half term soon? Rest up!!
I know right?! I don't see why they feel the need to cram so I've just stopped.
Maybe it's a coping mechanism. My friends and I all use it :tongue: Like today before FM (or Psychology), we were gossiping about the teachers and whether the Head of Maths was dating the Head of Science :colondollar: and how my friend thought my FM teacher looked like the boy from Up (he doesn't :lol:)
I mean, it's a good thing if you're somewhat calm. I'm sure you feel stressed as well but it's not good to be too stressed.
I’m not really that great at taking notes for revision (especially not now that exams have started) but what I did for the sciences was I watched a YouTube video on a topic whilst noting stuff they said down. Later I’d test myself online and jot down the questions I got wrong on flashcards (if I can be bothered) and test myself. I tend to make my notes kinda brief/to the point as I know I won’t look at them again (as I just write down stuff to remember it) but it depends on how you learn stuff.
Good luck with exams:hugs: I’m sure you’ll find your own way of revising!

Thank you, good luck with your exams too!
Original post by nyxnko_
Isn't half term soon? Rest up!!
I know right?! I don't see why they feel the need to cram so I've just stopped.
Maybe it's a coping mechanism. My friends and I all use it :tongue: Like today before FM (or Psychology), we were gossiping about the teachers and whether the Head of Maths was dating the Head of Science :colondollar: and how my friend thought my FM teacher looked like the boy from Up (he doesn't :lol:)
I mean, it's a good thing if you're somewhat calm. I'm sure you feel stressed as well but it's not good to be too stressed.

Yeppp the week after next:woo: though I think I’ve gotta go into school:frown: have you got one?
Love a good gossip:lol: my DofE group and I like to plan how many tubes of Pringles we’re taking on gold if we’re all there:giggle:
I have a hat like the boy from up:colondollar:
Idk, i feel like my stress comes in bursts?! Like I find I’m more stressed early morning and late at night probably because I’ve got time to myself to think:dontknow: but I feel really calm when I walk into the hall and during the school day (although today in chemistry my eyes were watering so much and I’m pretty sure the head of biology thought I was crying!)
Hope your exam went well:jumphug:
Yeppp the week after next:woo: though I think I’ve gotta go into school:frown: have you got one?
Love a good gossip:lol: my DofE group and I like to plan how many tubes of Pringles we’re taking on gold if we’re all there:giggle:
I have a hat like the boy from up:colondollar:
Idk, i feel like my stress comes in bursts?! Like I find I’m more stressed early morning and late at night probably because I’ve got time to myself to think:dontknow: but I feel really calm when I walk into the hall and during the school day (although today in chemistry my eyes were watering so much and I’m pretty sure the head of biology thought I was crying!)
Hope your exam went well:jumphug:

Ah no! We don't have summer half-terms because the summer term is 'too short'.
:colondollar: I still can't believe we were talking about that right before an exam. In fact, I was laughing so hard I cried :tongue:
Ooh Pringles!! :yum: Fun fact: my best friend actually hates Pringles! Can you believe that?! :eek:
Ahhhh it must be very cute :love:
Hmm... maybe you're stressed during those times because you haven't fully woken up yet or you're tired :dontknow:
Oh dear... Are you eyes okay?
It did! :yep: Thank you!! :jumphug:
@Toastiekid

Hi! :cute:

How are you faring?
You had your Chem exam today right? How did you did you find them?!

Do you any more exams coming up or are these the last ones for this week? For me, Chemistry is the last before the hellhole that will me next week.

I am absolutely terrified for Literature...
And I was reading about your opinion on Biology, and honestly... same:console:

I walked in there thinking I knew the spec upside down and I would absolutely ace it and it was just so horrible... I didn't even want to look at my Biology teacher out of embarrassment...:cry2:

And the first RE exam lets not even talk about that...
But surprisingly, Chemistry took me by surprise, I actually knew what they were talking about! Considering how little I've done for it, definitely gives me more hope. I probably didn't get a 9 but I didn't lose like half the paper, ~I guess.

Are you revising right now?
My brain just seems to have completely shut off as soon as I got out the hall.
Original post by nyxnko_
Ah no! We don't have summer half-terms because the summer term is 'too short'.
:colondollar: I still can't believe we were talking about that right before an exam. In fact, I was laughing so hard I cried :tongue:
Ooh Pringles!! :yum: Fun fact: my best friend actually hates Pringles! Can you believe that?! :eek:
Ahhhh it must be very cute :love:
Hmm... maybe you're stressed during those times because you haven't fully woken up yet or you're tired :dontknow:
Oh dear... Are you eyes okay?
It did! :yep: Thank you!! :jumphug:

My friend goes to an international school and she doesn’t either:frown:
ahaha that sounds hilarious:giggle:
Pringles are delishhh, salt n vinegar is my favourite:heart: (though they make your mouth go soooo numb)
hmmm I don’t know:dontknow:
Yeah they’re fine now. Long story short: I woke up with a killer sore throat, headache and stomach ache (though still ate breakfast:thumbsup:) and I was really scared I was going to throw up in the exam hall (not about the exam) as that’d be so embarrassing but once I started the paper I chugged a load of water (and some throat sweets) down and was sorta distracted from it. I didn’t throw up though but my eyes were watering out of genuine fear:lol:
:party:
Original post by Rachana.L
@Toastiekid

Hi! :cute:

How are you faring?
You had your Chem exam today right? How did you did you find them?!

Do you any more exams coming up or are these the last ones for this week? For me, Chemistry is the last before the hellhole that will me next week.

I am absolutely terrified for Literature...
And I was reading about your opinion on Biology, and honestly... same:console:

I walked in there thinking I knew the spec upside down and I would absolutely ace it and it was just so horrible... I didn't even want to look at my Biology teacher out of embarrassment...:cry2:

And the first RE exam lets not even talk about that...
But surprisingly, Chemistry took me by surprise, I actually knew what they were talking about! Considering how little I've done for it, definitely gives me more hope. I probably didn't get a 9 but I didn't lose like half the paper, ~I guess.

Are you revising right now?
My brain just seems to have completely shut off as soon as I got out the hall.

hey!
I’m tired (watch me go to bed at 8.30 tonight) but feeling really weirdly calm:lol:
Dreading literature too! I’m not planning on doing it after gcse so I kinda left my revision to this weekend...(but I still want to do well so this weekend will be fun!)
Chemistry was lovely:heart: I regained hope in the sciences as I actually knew sorta what I was doing (vs biology where it felt like I’d leapt off the side of a boat into an ocean full of sharks).
Hope your chemistry and biology went well:hugs: omg same about biology, I’ve been avoiding my teacher like the plague:lol:
I don’t do RE:woo: but I heard it was rather strange:dontknow:
:yep: I know I just said this but that chemistry paper was a much needed confidence boost- thank you edexcel:thumbsup:
No I’m not, I’ve been feeling pretty ill today so I annotated a bit of Frankenstein before going to my piano lesson:yawn:
I’ve got my French writing tomorrow but I had a couple of periods of revision at school today:wink:
Our hall is quite cold and I like to take my blazer off during the exams so I tend to shake after the exams:giggle:
Good luck with all your exams:hugs:
woah that’s so different to ours...they were in the hall but nothing different to the ks3 end of years! I guess remember that you’ll progress loads in year 11 and that you’ve not finished the courses yet!

Yeah, I just have too many days rn where I just can't be bothered to revise, but I'll make it, just got to remember that at the end of the day these are only the first round of mocks!
Original post by s.m30
Yeah, I just have too many days rn where I just can't be bothered to revise, but I'll make it, just got to remember that at the end of the day these are only the first round of mocks!

So true:yep: in the end these mocks aren’t going to matter at all.
My friend goes to an international school and she doesn’t either:frown:
ahaha that sounds hilarious:giggle:
Pringles are delishhh, salt n vinegar is my favourite:heart: (though they make your mouth go soooo numb)
hmmm I don’t know:dontknow:
Yeah they’re fine now. Long story short: I woke up with a killer sore throat, headache and stomach ache (though still ate breakfast:thumbsup:) and I was really scared I was going to throw up in the exam hall (not about the exam) as that’d be so embarrassing but once I started the paper I chugged a load of water (and some throat sweets) down and was sorta distracted from it. I didn’t throw up though but my eyes were watering out of genuine fear:lol:

Oh... that must be why. I'm at an international school :tongue:
It was :lol:
They are :five: Salt and vinegar are the best! :yep:
:lol:
oh dear... hope your sore throat isn't too bad. Make sure to drink plenty of water :yes:
Original post by nyxnko_
Oh... that must be why. I'm at an international school :tongue:
It was :lol:
They are :five: Salt and vinegar are the best! :yep:
:lol:
oh dear... hope your sore throat isn't too bad. Make sure to drink plenty of water :yes:

Yepppp:yes:
They are:love:
It’s a lot better this morning:thumbsup:
Yepppp:yes:
They are:love:
It’s a lot better this morning:thumbsup:

:yep:
That's good :thumbsup:
It’s so tempting...:smile:
that’s great that you’ve got half term before! That week should be useful; lots of revision:grin:

Yeah ikr I'm so grateful for that week!:smile: I definitely need it...:tongue:
toastie goes off the radar:K:
soooo the past 10 days (since I last posted) have been chaos: my bedroom looks like something exploded from my bookshelves (textbooks everywhere, notes everywhere, pens everywhere); my revision timetable flew, like a rock, out of the window; a mountain range has formed on my face (#IcaNgEogRaphytoO) and my nose has two states now- running or preventing airflow. In Layman's terms, life is absolutely brilliant right now:thumbsup:
I know it's not great to think back over the exams but I feel like I should probably write something about them so that in the future I can look at this blog with my grandkids and have a lil laugh:giggle:

I believe I already mentioned my edexcel French reading and listening and my edexcel biology paper 1 but I don't remember going through any of my other papers on here.

chemistry paper 1
what a godsend! after frantic cramming during my passport session before, I had decided that nothing else was going to go in that evening:dontknow: (and I was still feeling pretty demotivated after biology:backstab:) so I just sorta chilled:banana: (#notmybestidea) but anyway, I walked into the exam feeling really ill:bawling:. I'd woken up with a horrible sore throat and my parents gave me some medicine that made me gag so much:broken: Once the exam began though, I managed to block out the urge to throw up:coma: and I think the paper went alright; the six markers were on topics I knew and understood so yeahhh I hope paper two goes alright:crossedf:
French writing
this paper was decent:congrats:
I didn't have the best timings in the exam:colondollar: (uhh spent over half the time on question one) as for question one I picked the one about food (c'est ma passion:heart:) and for question two I picked the one about voluntary work. :rip: my examiner who has to read about my uhh voluntary work in India and in Australia and in literally any country I could name in French:colondollar:
the translation was hell:run: but I think I got the gist so hopefully it'll mean I'll get a few marks:dontknow:
anddddd as this exam finished before break time, I managed to get a waffle (you can witness natural selection when it comes to waffles at break time:rofl:).

after the weekend there was:
Mandarin listening and reading
well this exam sucked.
basically the speakers in the classroom weren't working so we started quite late (with the reading paper?!) which was such a nice paper:hugs: then when the listening started, one of the nearby classes decided to have a rave:security:which may have distracted me a wee bit from the listening tape (which almost got played out of this bright pink cd player but they managed to fix the speakers during the reading exam:dontknow:).
English literature paper 1
*laughter fades away*
by now, the revision timetable had obviously gone outta the window and I was left, frantic, trying to learn as many Frankenstein quotes in under 24 hours:shot:
In the actual exam the questions were okay...I know that for the Macbeth one I should've done a lot more (I only wrote two paragraphs, one on Banquo in the extract and one on Macbeth in the play as a whole) which I'm worried will impact my grade:sigh: It's not exactly helped by people going oh you'll be fine at school but I guess, as Shakespeare said in Macbeth- "what's done is done"
Frankenstein was a little bit better, I hadn't done nearly enough revision for it but the question was easy for me to come up with ideas for (and I miraculously remembered quotes for it!)
Physics paper 1
probably the exam I was most nervous for; I need that seven:smurf:
My friends were lovely and reassuring before the exam, "we'll help lower the grade boundaries" was a line prevalent in conversations with me before the exam (:zomg: my friend's grades) but I think the actual paper went alright. I was just pleased that I understood most of the questions and am hoping that I got enough marks for that golden seven:yy:
Maths paper 1
I admit I had a little freak out before the exam which scared my maths teacher as he went OMG ARE YOU JOKING before realising I was very serious and explained the topic to me:yeah:
In the actual exam I was pretty happy, I found the paper nice and according to the unofficial markschemes (sorry @sunshine774 I cracked with maths; someone posted it on their story:dontknow) I did alright:woo:. I'm just hoping paper 2 and 3 are similarish (watch how edexcel combine ten different topics making Frankenstein's creature into the final question of the paper:unsure:).
English literature paper 2
ha ha haaaaa the night before this was tragic.
I gave up on learning all 15 poems so I focussed on going indepth on 6 (tissue, bayonet charge, poppies, war photographer, London and the emigrée) knowing that I could probably wing the other 9 poems if they came up.
this meant I was very very very stressed before the exam:grin: so when I tore my way through the question booklet (yes, tore...I may have ripped it) I felt a weight lift from my shoulders when I opened it to see ozymandias:trytofly: *insert it's a beautiful day by Bublé*
section a however had an alright question, I don't think I was particularly perceptive but hey ho I did my best:u:
well toastie here is an intelligent being so decided to compare it to tissue (I'm still cringing now at that choice) but hopefully my waffle was alright:dontknow:
honestly have no idea about unseen but I'd sorta lost all hope by then so it was a miracle that I wrote anything:youbetcha:
and then it was over. #fastesttwohoursfifteenofmylife

general stuff
so you'd assume that this would make you up to date with me but we're really nowhere near there!
yesterday was my Record of achievement day so after a period of passport we signed shirts, hung out with our form groups and then all the parents came in for a two hour emotional rollercoaster:yes:
There was music, laughter and tears but the whole thing was so wonderful; it made me realise how much I'll miss my school when I'm gone:sadnod:
It's not the end though; I've got school on the Tuesday to Thursday of this week and of course passport when the term begins again. but we'll discuss that later:party:
that's all from me for today! I'll be back posting now.
TOASTIEKID
26/05/18
(edited 5 years ago)
Oh dear... I totally relate to the room and nose thing... (I need to clean up my room now that it's all over :redface:)
:woo: for Chemistry and French!!
Don't worry too much about English Lit. There's nothing you can do now.
:laugh: I would have started singing if I got Ozymandias as well!!
Have a great half-term!!
Original post by nyxnko_
Oh dear... I totally relate to the room and nose thing... (I need to clean up my room now that it's all over :redface:)
:woo: for Chemistry and French!!
Don't worry too much about English Lit. There's nothing you can do now.
:laugh: I would have started singing if I got Ozymandias as well!!
Have a great half-term!!

I can’t even work in my room currently it’s so messy that I can’t focus!
:rave: hoping for the best!
I’m trying not to:hugs:
my friend said he accidentally squealed (luckily the invigilators didn’t notice:colondollar:)
will do:party: enjoy your week of study leave:lovehug:
I can’t even work in my room currently it’s so messy that I can’t focus!
:rave: hoping for the best!
I’m trying not to:hugs:
my friend said he accidentally squealed (luckily the invigilators didn’t notice:colondollar:)
will do:party: enjoy your week of study leave:lovehug:

:laugh: same... That's why school was such a good alternative cos it wasn't messy :colondollar:
You will do well!! :yep:
:hugs:
OMG REALLY!?! :laugh: That's great! :tongue:
I will :wink:
image.jpg
omgggg I can add photos again
@nyxnko_ here’s my neatish handwriting.
this is my plannn for the weekend (revision wise) I’ve left the social stuff out.
I’ll make sure to post one for the whole week on Monday:yum:
Original post by nyxnko_
:laugh: same... That's why school was such a good alternative cos it wasn't messy :colondollar:
You will do well!! :yep:
:hugs:
OMG REALLY!?! :laugh: That's great! :tongue:
I will :wink:

:yep:
hopefully:eek3:
:jumphug:
I wish I’d been sat near him:lol:
Goooooood:rave:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending