Disappointed with the Level 3 BTEC course that I've chosen. Any alternatives?

Watch this thread
OnePrettyFlyGuy
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So, I've enrolled to do a level 3 subsidiary diploma in Motor Vehicle Technology, and the plan was then to enroll next year to finish the National Extended Diploma as well.

However, it seems like I've got less than what I've bargained for. I dropped out of A levels because I didn't like how much theory that there was, and how exam based it was. So i chose a BTEC because I thought that it would be a lot more hands on, and that it would give me a chance to really refine my practical skills. Apparently this isn't the case. My tutor has told me that it's 70% theory, and 30% practical. I was kind of hoping that this would be the other way around. The tutor told me that this was the same with most engineering BTECs, and the same with all the engineering BTECs that the College offers (i.e mechanical engineering).

I chose the College because it has excellent facilities and a range of workshops, but if i'm not going to be using them much what's the point? I have exceptional GCSE grades under my belt, so I shouldn't really have any barriers to entry to any courses (other than applying so late), but are there any level courses that are more in depth, and that have more time focused on practical work?

Also I'd rather learn the whole of the BTEC course, and not be forced into choosing a mere 6 optional units, lol.

Would an apprenticeship be more suitable? I guess if the BTEC doesn't have enough practical work then I could always spend my time away from college trying to get work experience. What do you guys think?
999tigger
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by OnePrettyFlyGuy)
So, I've enrolled to do a level 3 subsidiary diploma in Motor Vehicle Technology, and the plan was then to enroll next year to finish the National Extended Diploma as well.

However, it seems like I've got less than what I've bargained for. I dropped out of A levels because I didn't like how much theory that there was, and how exam based it was. So i chose a BTEC because I thought that it would be a lot more hands on, and that it would give me a chance to really refine my practical skills. Apparently this isn't the case. My tutor has told me that it's 70% theory, and 30% practical. I was kind of hoping that this would be the other way around. The tutor told me that this was the same with most engineering BTECs, and the same with all the engineering BTECs that the College offers (i.e mechanical engineering).

I chose the College because it has excellent facilities and a range of workshops, but if i'm not going to be using them much what's the point? I have exceptional GCSE grades under my belt, so I shouldn't really have any barriers to entry to any courses (other than applying so late), but are there any level courses that are more in depth, and that have more time focused on practical work?

Also I'd rather learn the whole of the BTEC course, and not be forced into choosing a mere 6 optional units, lol.

Would an apprenticeship be more suitable? I guess if the BTEC doesn't have enough practical work then I could always spend my time away from college trying to get work experience. What do you guys think?

A levels 100% accepted to get you to study engineering at degree level.
BTEC 90% accepted to get you into uni alhough they like A level maths.

BTEC are less theory and also fewer exams.

If you want hands on at an early age then you need to do more vocational things liek City and guilds NVQ

My point is you need to theory to enable you to get hand on experience for the bigger projects.

You can try apprenticeships like these as it seems its what you want.

https://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/sector/engineering
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...7993-SP-15.PDF

http://www.baesystems.com/en-uk/care...pprenticeships
username2647239
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

when I did my btec I was allowed to record myself doing something to show that I know the topic. the teacher said as long as I met the criteria it's fine, and I'll get the grade.

of course for some units I was told to do normal assignments but I didn't mind.
OnePrettyFlyGuy
Rep:
(Original post by unaManzana)
when I did my btec I was allowed to record myself doing something to show that I know the topic.
Did you use the college workshops for this? How easy was it to allow your college to use the workshops independently/as a small group? (If so) thanks.
OnePrettyFlyGuy
Rep:
(Original post by 999tigger)
My point is you need to theory to enable you to get hand on experience for the bigger projects.
That's not my problem. Sorry if I wasnt clear. I love the theory, and I want to know as much as I can about the most amount of things, but its a bit pointless if I can't put any of it to use. I want to do practical work alongside all of my theory basically.

Also I'll have a Look at those apprenticeship links later. Thanks a bunch.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
That's not my problem. Sorry if I wasnt clear. I love the theory, and I want to know as much as I can about the most amount of things, but its a bit pointless if I can't put any of it to use. I want to do practical work alongside all of my theory basically.

Also I'll have a Look at those apprenticeship links later. Thanks a bunch.
Nope you miss the point. Apprenticeship sounds more suited for you, but id have said more patience and get to uni where you will have plenty of hands on and hen go into a job where they expect more of you because of your degree.

Maybe a degree apprenticeship might be for you.
OnePrettyFlyGuy
Rep:
(Original post by 999tigger)
Maybe a degree apprenticeship might be for you.
I've tried looking, however there aren't any 'degree/higher' apprenticeships in the specific areas of engineering that I'm interested in.

I want to go into Race Mechanics, or Motorsport Vehicle Design Engineering. However there's not any at the degree level that I've seen/heard of.

A handful of F1 teams offer some appreniceships but they're all level 2, and are based at the headquarters, rather than the track side.
username2647239
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
there are apprenticeships in Motorsport vehicle that you could do to gain your level 3 qualification, and then you could go to uni from there.

http://m.banbury-bicester.ac.uk/motorsport-engineering-level-3-advanced-apprenticeship
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (10)
20.41%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (4)
8.16%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
8.16%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (5)
10.2%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (14)
28.57%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (12)
24.49%

Watched Threads