Care assistant question

Watch
Sh31
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi I'm applying for a job as a care assistant. On the application form one of the questions is

Can you tell us about a time when you have had to adjust / adapt your approach to a resident’s care to meet their cultural needs?

Just wondering how I would asnwer this as I have never been in that situation
Thanks
AnnaGlypta
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That's quite a hard question to answer if you haven't been in the position to experience it.

I would personally write about how you would deliver person centered care, emphasis how you wouldn't make assumptions about the individual you are looking after, and how you would be willing to adjust your care based on their cultural values. For example some cultures may use alternative medicine as opposed to western medicine, you shouldn't automatically dismiss this as bogus.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Have you been in a position where you had to be accepting of a person's cultural differences outside of the care sector? You could explain that. Aside from that as Anna said - explain what you would do... the key for me would be (depending on the setting) communicating openly and non judgementally, if someone is non verbal then having some awareness of basic cultural differences and discussing with their family/checking care plan. The biggest thing is just awareness that there may be different needs - whether this is about washing differently, clothing, food etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (255)
56.92%
I don't have everything I need (193)
43.08%

Watched Threads