8Greenorange
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
When should I start revising as today I started year 12. I haven't got enough resources provided yet. I'm stressing cos I don't know what to revise as most people said revise on the first day.
rosie.mn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Don't revise on the first day, just start consolidating notes from the beginning and stay on top of your work. If you start revising from day one you'll burn yourself out and won't enjoy college. Just revise 3 weeks in advance for all mocks and then start revising whenever you feel comfortable for AS/end of year exams. If you consolidate your notes and revise for mocks properly, you'll find by the time your AS/EOYS roll round you'll be mostly prepared, only having to memorise and do past papers.
Moltenmo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by rosie.mn)
Don't revise on the first day, just start consolidating notes from the beginning and stay on top of your work. If you start revising from day one you'll burn yourself out and won't enjoy college. Just revise 3 weeks in advance for all mocks and then start revising whenever you feel comfortable for AS/end of year exams. If you consolidate your notes and revise for mocks properly, you'll find by the time your AS/EOYS roll round you'll be mostly prepared, only having to memorise and do past papers.
How would you consolidate the notes you make? Is just reading over them suffice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
rosie.mn
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Moltenmo)
How would you consolidate the notes you make? Is just reading over them suffice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nope, reading notes is never enough - especially at a level. You need to take all your class notes and sheets and start typing or writing them into understandable and shorter notes, still detailed just easier to read and revise from. Colour coding, etc. From this you can start making mind maps, flash cards, whatever works for you really. This is key to getting good grades. You can't revise as effectively if you've not consolidated first.
mh310
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
February is a good time to start revising for AS exams as it means you're less stressed than if you start at Easter (trust me I just did mine and I wish I'd started earlier lol)
happyy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 8Greenorange)
When should I start revising as today I started year 12. I haven't got enough resources provided yet. I'm stressing cos I don't know what to revise as most people said revise on the first day.
You don't need to start revising just yet. I would make sure that your notes are neat and that when you read through them, they make sense to you.

I wouldn't start revising for another few months. If you are desperate to start, just read over the notes briefly.
Charlotte.P
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Throughout Y12 and Y13 I would make sets of flash cards and mind maps after I had finished a topic. I would recommend waiting until the end of a topic to make these resources since then you know how all the different parts link together (especially relevant in things like bio and chem).

After each lesson I would also go through and make a list of key words (I did this for all of my subjects apart from maths) because I found that having a glossary of the most important bits was really useful when revising for long answer science questions and RS essays.

For maths I would write down two examples for each new method that we learnt in a workbook I kept just for these examples. I would write steps for the method and annotate them to show exactly how to do something. This was probably the most useful thing I have ever done and it was great to read through in registration or when I was going home on the train because the methods didn't take long to read through. I used to write these up as soon as I could after lessons (in free periods, at lunch, on the train home) so that I wouldn't forget anything important.
confused9989
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd just start reading over the work given for the first two weeks, after this time I would start revision starting at about 4 hours a week (one hour for each subject) then gradually increasing to 16 hours a week (4 hours per subject which is the recommended amount) after about 4 weeks. Good luck.
BTAnonymous
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
1. Take notes in class.
2. Finish topic and consolidate notes into a few page of notes
3. Do exam questions on the topic
4. (optional) Research further into the topic. For example, in A Level Maths, you do not need to know why the differentiation rules are, as they are; however, understanding where and how these rules are derived can really help you understand the topic of differentiation and allows you to think more open minded
5. Ask teachers for help
6. Continue to keep on top of work
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (170)
14.63%
I'm not sure (54)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (342)
29.43%
I have already dropped out (35)
3.01%
I'm not a current university student (561)
48.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed