HELPPPPPPP? im in year 10 and revision hours? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
i just started year 10 and i am doing 5 hours of revision everyday for school and 6 hours during the weekend. Is that good? im also doing the new gcses hehe, 1-9 . i want to get all 9's thats a huge step i also got the hardest subjects cause i like a challenge
.Business
.Triple Science
.Geography
.German
if you can, can you give a rough outline of how long an average 9 student needs to revise for on saturdays and through out the school days?
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
i just started year 10 and i am doing 5 hours of revision everyday for school and 6 hours during the weekend. Is that good? im also doing the new gcses hehe, 1-9 . i want to get all 9's thats a huge step i also got the hardest subjects cause i like a challenge
.Business
.Triple Science
.Geography
.German
if you can, can you give a rough outline of how long an average 9 student needs to revise for on saturdays and through out the school days?
6 hours seems a bit too much for a weekend - wouldn't you burn out?

And more importantly, 5 on a school day is also too much - at least, I would burn out. An hour or so for homework and then 1-2 more for other studying should be more than enough.

But the thing with hours is that they can vary by student, because it's more about quality than quantity (although the key to retaining info is revising it in different sessions) so it's important to measure your progress by doing class tests or past papers and then thinking about your length and quality of studying and what needs to be changed.
LiveOnTSR
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You're in Year 10, chill
MrCole&Co
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
you are in year 10 chill kid, i didnt even revise at all in year 11 and still got mostly Bs, revise in year 11 when you cover most of it.
bbll98
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That's pretty excessive. Honestly, I didn't revise at all in Year 10 (except when we had tests etc at school). I only started revising a couple of months before my exams started and still got all A*s.

I'm not trying to discourage you from doing revision. Obviously it's good to revise, but 5 hours on a school day? That's crazy and really unnecessary. Plus, you've only just started Year 10. How do you even have anything to revise yet? Don't stress about it so much - just live your life.
username3484120
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You're in year 10??? Chill out. I'm in year 11 and do no more than a couple of hours every day. Relax a bit.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Lumi172
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
5 hours is a bit too much. I mean, the government recommended amount according to my teachers is 2 additional hours each day. You are in year 10 so you can afford to go easy at the moment. The teachers are going to put on a lot of unnecessary stress on you right now. There's absolutely nothing wrong with revising right now but don't do 5 hours straight. You won't remember any information like this. Take regular breaks and try evening out studying. I'm presuming you also have English and Maths to do as well. I'd recommend you find what you're weaker at and what is going to take you the longest to learn and do a bit more revision on that than you would the other subjects. If you're that desperate to have a revision timetable at the moment, try planning it now and sticking to it and then alter it as you see fit based on the difficulty, how long it takes, etc.
At the moment, I'm sticking to revising one subject per day for around 2 hours and I do put some revision in at lunch and break as I don't really have much else to do. My targets are 9s and I'm in year 11 at the moment. You can afford to take it easy for now but I started revising a lot more when I was preparing for my mocks. Just do what you feel is best but don't overdo it either.
endergirl123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lumi172)
5 hours is a bit too much. I mean, the government recommended amount according to my teachers is 2 additional hours each day. You are in year 10 so you can afford to go easy at the moment. The teachers are going to put on a lot of unnecessary stress on you right now. There's absolutely nothing wrong with revising right now but don't do 5 hours straight. You won't remember any information like this. Take regular breaks and try evening out studying. I'm presuming you also have English and Maths to do as well. I'd recommend you find what you're weaker at and what is going to take you the longest to learn and do a bit more revision on that than you would the other subjects. If you're that desperate to have a revision timetable at the moment, try planning it now and sticking to it and then alter it as you see fit based on the difficulty, how long it takes, etc.
At the moment, I'm sticking to revising one subject per day for around 2 hours and I do put some revision in at lunch and break as I don't really have much else to do. My targets are 9s and I'm in year 11 at the moment. You can afford to take it easy for now but I started revising a lot more when I was preparing for my mocks. Just do what you feel is best but don't overdo it either.
Thanks dude they also keep saying the new gcses are the hardest yet and it scares me is 3 hours enough?
endergirl123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MrCole&Co)
you are in year 10 chill kid, i didnt even revise at all in year 11 and still got mostly Bs, revise in year 11 when you cover most of it.
Lmao they keep saying if you dont revise your going to die. TY
hoixw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
LOL IS THIS A MEME.

HOW THE F**K YOU BE REVISING FOR 5 HOURS A DAY ON SCHOOL DAYS.

A LOT KIDS ON THEIR GCSES IN YR11 DONT EVEN DO THAT MUCH.

No seriously, you don't need to revise so much in year 10. You'll forget by May in year 11. What you should do is make sure you have good notes to revise from and flashcards and stuff. You only really need to revise when there is a test.

EDIT: Seriously, make good notes, turn them into flashcards, mind maps etc because when it comes to year 11, they come in so much use. I just started year 11 and am rewriting a lot of my notes because they aren't good. But still, real revision will start in December for me lol.
Lumi172
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by endergirl123)
Thanks dude they also keep saying the new gcses are the hardest yet and it scares me is 3 hours enough?
Don't let it worry you too much. They are hard, don't get me wrong but the teachers do emphasise that to the point where it scares you when it really shouldn't that much.
Like I said before, I'm sticking to two hours each day at the moment. I'd recommend making revision cards just so if you do want to revise quickly at some point during the day, you do have a brief summary that you can quickly look at. 3 hours is definately enough but do be aware that after a certain point, your brain does stop taking in information (around the two hour mark). If you are set on revising for 3 hours, make sure you do have a decent break between the sessions. I'm thinking either two 1 and 1/2 hour sessions with a break or a 2 hour one, a break and then an hour recap. Of course, this is completely up to you. Again, don't overdo it, don't let the teachers put too much stress on you. Seeing as you're predicted all 9s, I think it's more the slackers they're trying to scare, not you. We've all fallen for that and stressed out a little too much.
Just keep calm and enjoy Year 10 as much as you can. I think you'll be ok but just make sure you don't overdo it
xxbethwxx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
honestly I've started year 11 this year and it's the third day of school and I'm worn out u do five hours of learning and put on top another five hours and that's now ten. If I was u I wold split it up so an hour every night on school days then on friday night just chill then do two hours on Saturdays and Sundays. Just chill while u can your in year ten when u get into year 11 that's when u should be spending a lot of time revising.
AnimalJamRocks
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm in year 10 and really confused by your post. How are you revising so many hours a day when you've barely covered any content? I think that amount of work isn't needed since you're in year 10. Revise an hour or two a day. I want high grades but I'm not going to such extreme lengths. These are exams you'll have in TWO YEARS. Smart people revise productively. You're just stressing yourself out for no reason.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (133)
18.6%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (72)
10.07%
No I am happy with my course choice (407)
56.92%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (103)
14.41%

Watched Threads