The Student Room Group

Mathematics Resources / Revision

Since I have to learn C1, C2, C3, C4, S1 and M1 by the end of the year does anyone have any good suggestions on resources that are very helpful?
Also if someone is on the same boat as me I'd love to revise with you guys :P
Reply 1
What exam board are you doing for the linear A-levels? If it's the same one we could deffo study together
Reply 2
Original post by JessNg
What exam board are you doing for the linear A-levels? If it's the same one we could deffo study together

AQA
Original post by Osaki
Since I have to learn C1, C2, C3, C4, S1 and M1 by the end of the year does anyone have any good suggestions on resources that are very helpful?
Also if someone is on the same boat as me I'd love to revise with you guys :P

www.examsolutions.net/a-level-maths/aqa/

make sure you use resources for the old modular A level, not the new linear A level specification.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4

This is very confusing to me, the teacher gives me the 2004 books and tells me we are doing the new linear specification. Sorry if the answer is obvious but I can't seem to see why she would do that.
Original post by Osaki
This is very confusing to me, the teacher gives me the 2004 books and tells me we are doing the new linear specification. Sorry if the answer is obvious but I can't seem to see why she would do that.

Most schools can't afford to buy new text books. The core maths C1-4 is very similar to the content in the new linear specification. The old text books for maths and stats are going to be less useful since the content comes from S1, S2, M1 and M2 depending on which examiners books you are using.
Reply 6
Original post by gdunne42
Most schools can't afford to buy new text books. The core maths C1-4 is very similar to the content in the new linear specification.

Using old textbooks doesn't sound like a good idea since there is now a greater emphasis on problem solving and modelling...

But if schools can't afford the textbooks then I suppose there's no choice.
Original post by Notnek
Using old textbooks doesn't sound like a good idea since there is now a greater emphasis on problem solving and modelling...

Good teachers don't need to teach to the book and will be able to use old text books where they are still relevant and introduce other resources to help prepare candidates for new content and new styles of questions. Looking at the sample assessment materials I've seen so far, the difference in style doesn't seem to that great in year 12 content, a bit in the pure maths questions and a little bit more in the applications questions but that's my subjective opinion.
Reply 8
Original post by Notnek

So if I'm doing my A levels for maths this year does it mean I'm doing the new spec?
Original post by Osaki
So if I'm doing my A levels for maths this year does it mean I'm doing the new spec?

If you are starting A level maths this year and will take your final exams in summer 2019 then yes you will be doing the new specification.
Reply 10
If you learn all of the AS and A2 content in one year then you may be able to sit your exams with the current year 13 students, some of whom may be resitting the AS exams.

It's really important you ask your teacher or exams officer if this is possible.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by gdunne42
If you are starting A level maths this year and will take your final exams in summer 2019 then yes you will be doing the new specification.

I hesitated to reply since the OP seemed to suggest they were doing all the modules this year. Is it possible for a student to take all of the modules this year for the first time in 2018 as long as they do all 6? If this is possible, I don't think it would be very common especially if a student is at a school.
Reply 12
Original post by Notnek
I hesitated to reply since the OP seemed to suggest they were doing all the modules this year. Is it possible for a student to take all of the modules this year for the first time in 2018 as long as they do all 6? If this is possible, I don't think it would be very common especially if a student is at a school.

Well our teacher is making us do all 6 modules core, m1 and s1 in one year and then doing further the year after. But I'm very confused now.
Will probably ask my teacher to explain
Original post by Notnek

Yes it is certainly possible to do a full A level under the old specification this year. This will be fairly common I suspect in the private tutorial colleges that do accelerated A levels and may also be an option chosen by some private candidates.
Reply 14
Original post by Osaki
Well our teacher is making us do all 6 modules core, m1 and s1 in one year and then doing further the year after. But I'm very confused now.

Yes I think it's a good idea to confirm this with your teacher.
Original post by Osaki

It is possible to sit the whole of A level maths under either the new specification or the old one in summer 2018. It would be unusual to sit the old specification A level maths in summer 2018 and then do the new specification Further Maths in summer 2019. While this is allowed by examination bodies, they would warn that old specification maths does not fully prepare a candidate for the new further maths content.

You should certainly ask your teacher to explain your schools plans.

Quick Reply

Latest