The Student Room Group

Missing digit in Maths calculation

Hello. Could anyone help me with the following questions. If you could explain one of them I will probably be able to do the rest. This is probably very easy to most of you but I wasn't there for the lesson and the format is quite weird for me. Thanks a million
Reply 1
Original post by etel
Hello. Could anyone help me with the following questions. If you could explain one of them I will probably be able to do the rest. This is probably very easy to most of you but I wasn't there for the lesson and the format is quite weird for me. Thanks a million

Have you made any progress? Please post all your working.

If you haven't made any progress then start with a) : what number must go in the square below the 7 and the 9? If you're unsure, imagine all the numbers were there and you were doing the long multiplication.
Reply 2
Original post by Notnek
Have you made any progress? Please post all your working.

If you haven't made any progress then start with a) : what number must go in the square below the 7 and the 9? If you're unsure, imagine all the numbers were there and you were doing the long multiplication.

This is what I got so far...
Reply 3
Original post by etel
This is what I got so far...

6 x 9 will give you the 2 digit number circled after adding on what was carried over in the last step. Do you agree?

This 2 digit number must end in an 8 so...

Please post your thoughts if you're still stuck.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Notnek

6 x 9 will give you the 2 digit number circled after adding on what was carried over in the last step. Do you agree?

This 2 digit number must end in an 8 so...

Please post your thoughts if you're still stuck.

I think I may have completed it.
Reply 5
Original post by etel
I think I may have completed it.

That's correct!

Have a go at the others and try not to give up too quickly. These take a lot of thought and logic but it will feel good if you can complete them yourself without help :smile:

Of course let us know if you're completely stuck and we can help.
Reply 6
Could you guide me on where to start on B as C seems to be quite similar to A?
Reply 7
Original post by etel
Could you guide me on where to start on B as C seems to be quite similar to A?

Please have a really good think about it and post all your thoughts if you're completely stuck. I may not be able to help tonight but others may be free.

Actually I should ask : are you comfortable with long division?
Reply 8
Original post by Notnek
Please have a really good think about it and post all your thoughts if you're completely stuck. I may not be able to help tonight but others may be free.

Actually I should ask : are you comfortable with long division?

I can do long division however struggle working backwords. Thank you for all of your help anyway.
Reply 9
Original post by etel
I can do long division however struggle working backwords. Thank you for all of your help anyway.

Try for another 10 mins and let me know if you still need help. I may be able to give it a go tonight if no one else is helping.
Reply 10
Original post by Notnek
Try for another 10 mins and let me know if you still need help. I may be able to give it a go tonight if no one else is helping.

Thanks I have done C I am doing B now.
Original post by etel
Thanks I have done C I am doing B now.

Only got time for one post.

For B, if we can work out what the 2-digit divisor is to start, we can then work back from the end of the calculation.

So, refering to the red lines. 3 x some digit produes a number ending in 4. Hence the digit must be....

Then refering to the green lines. 3 x our two digit divisor, produces a number which when subtracted from a number between 60 and 69 produces a number between 10 and 19

So, our 2-digit divisor must be...

Then work back from the end.

1504726198122633589141.jpg
Reply 12
Original post by ghostwalker
Only got time for one post.

For B, if we can work out what the 2-digit divisor is to start, we can then work back from the end of the calculation.

So, refering to the red lines. 3 x some digit produes a number ending in 4. Hence the digit must be....

Then refering to the green lines. 3 x our two digit divisor, produces a number which when subtracted from a number between 60 and 69 produces a number between 10 and 19

So, our 2-digit divisor must be...

Then work back from the end.

1504726198122633589141.jpg

Thanks I worked it out now.

Quick Reply

Latest