Siliac
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am making this because, otherwise, I would probably barely revise. I started year 11 yesterday and I didn't revise in year 10 so I'm going to have to revise a lot this year to get the grades that I want. I will probably enjoy doing this so I might try much harder to get the grades that I want than I would without doing this.

Here are my subjects and the grades that I want:
Spoiler:
Show

Maths: 9
English Language: 5
English Literature: 6
Biology: 7
Chemistry: 7
Physics: 7
Geography: 6
Resistant Materials: 5
Systems & Control: 6
Computer Science: 9

The subjects that I'm best at are Maths and Computer science; they are also my favourite subjects. My worst subjects are English Language and Resistant Materials and my least favourites are Geography and Biology. I'm going to have to revise a lot for Biology, Chemistry and Physics because, last year, I didn't do anything or listen in Science lessons because they were very boring. I will also have to revise a lot for English Language and English Literature because I'm not that good at English.

After GCSEs, I want to go to sixth form to study Maths, Further Maths, Computing and something else.

I may update this every day to show what I have done to get the grades that I want. However, I might forget to or not be bothered to on some days. I also might not do that much revision but I will try to, especially because this is giving me the motivation to revise.
Siliac
Rep:
?
Today was my third day in year 11 and the only subject that I have had 3 lessons of this year is my least favourite subject: Geography . I had my first English lesson and Science lesson of the year and they were quite easy so I didn't recap everything from the lesson at home, which I am planning to do in the future. In my Maths lesson, I had a teacher who I'm only going to have once every two weeks but I don't understand anything in lessons when she is the teacher; I was only able to complete one question :ashamed2: and I don't even know if it was correct (they were hard questions though) but, if it was with my other Maths teacher, I would have completed about 10 and have gotten them all correct. In my Computer Science lesson, I completed everything and the homework about halfway through the lesson; this usually happens for me in Computer Science lessons because I love Computer Science so I work really hard in the lessons .

When I was at home, I made half of my Geography Rio case study - which took about an hour to do. I also watched 5 Physics revision videos. I will hopefully do more in the future but I'm not doing too much right now because I only started this year a few days ago and I need to get used to going to school again.
GcseStudent9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey, im also a current year 11! Feel free to PM me
Fox Corner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Siliac)
I am making this because, otherwise, I would probably barely revise. I started year 11 yesterday and I didn't revise in year 10 so I'm going to have to revise a lot this year to get the grades that I want. I will probably enjoy doing this so I might try much harder to get the grades that I want than I would without doing this.

Here are my subjects and the grades that I want:
Spoiler:
Show

Maths: 9
English Language: 5
English Literature: 6
Biology: 7
Chemistry: 7
Physics: 7
Geography: 6
Resistant Materials: 5
Systems & Control: 6
Computer Science: 9

The subjects that I'm best at are Maths and Computer science; they are also my favourite subjects. My worst subjects are English Language and Resistant Materials and my least favourites are Geography and Biology. I'm going to have to revise a lot for Biology, Chemistry and Physics because, last year, I didn't do anything or listen in Science lessons because they were very boring. I will also have to revise a lot for English Language and English Literature because I'm not that good at English.

After GCSEs, I want to go to sixth form to study Maths, Further Maths, Computing and something else.

I may update this every day to show what I have done to get the grades that I want. However, I might forget to or not be bothered to on some days. I also might not do that much revision but I will try to, especially because this is giving me the motivation to revise.
Good luck for year 11!
Siliac
Rep:
?
Today was my fourth day in year 11 . I had my second lesson of English this year and I was not as good as I was last year at remembering 'An Inspector Calls' quotes ; therefore, I have revised them . My second lesson of Science was fine and I might revise everything from the lesson on Saturday or Sunday. I've started planning for sheet 1 of my controlled assessment in Resistant Materials and I'm going to finish planning sheet 1 at the weekend.

I woke up really early in the morning so I read my Chemistry revision book for an hour. I have completed my Geography Rio case study. As I have said earlier, I have also revised 'An Inspector Calls' quotes for English Literature.

I'm going to put, at the end of my updates, what I did to improve my grades when I was not at school. I am also going to put what I would have done if I wasn't doing this. :grin:

What I did to improve my grades:
Spoiler:
Show

Read Chemistry book - 1 hour
Completed Geography Rio case study - 30 minutes
Revised 'An Inspector Calls' quotes - 20 minutes

What I would have done if I wasn't doing this
Spoiler:
Show

I would have only read Chemistry book for 30 minutes
I would have not completed Geography Rio case study today
I would have not revised 'An Inspector Calls' quotes today
Siliac
Rep:
?
I have watched 4 Chemistry revision videos about energy, watched 6 English Literature revision videos about 'An Inspector Calls' and revised 'An Inspector Calls' quotes. I am disappointed that I have not done more :sad: because it's the weekend and I did more yesterday. I wanted to finish planning sheet 1 of my controlled assessment in Resistant Materials but I'll do it tomorrow, hopefully .

Spoiler:
Show

Watched 4 Chemistry revision videos - 20 minutes
Watched 6 English Literature revision videos - 50 minutes

What I would have done if I wasn't doing this:
Spoiler:
Show

I would have not watched Chemistry revision videos
I would have still watched English Literature revision videos
I would have not revised 'An Inspector Calls' quotes

GoldAndFreeWifi
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have watched 4 Chemistry revision videos about energy, watched 6 English Literature revision videos about 'An Inspector Calls' and revised 'An Inspector Calls' quotes. I am disappointed that I have not done more :sad: because it's the weekend and I did more yesterday. I wanted to finish planning sheet 1 of my controlled assessment in Resistant Materials but I'll do it tomorrow, hopefully .

Spoiler:
Show

Watched 4 Chemistry revision videos - 20 minutes
Watched 6 English Literature revision videos - 50 minutes

Spoiler:
Show

I would have not watched Chemistry revision videos
I would have still watched English Literature revision videos
I would have not revised 'An Inspector Calls' quotes

i didnt think of watching videos for revision! good luck with GCSEs, i'll be watching this. I'm also in year 11, here's the link to my thread, you can check it out if you want
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4927702
username3529814
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello! I'm no longer doing my GCSE's but I thought I'd add some wisdom to this group.

When it comes to Year 10/11, you do have to plan all of your revision out as soon as you get your exam timetable. I'd also suggest buying the revision books that the exam boards have released or going through the notes that teachers have given you and condensing them into smaller notes which only contain the key points. I would also colour coordinate your work and create revision mind-maps. It really does make the difference!

One last thing, try not to stress too much. Whenever my teachers said this, I would roll my eyes but if you always try your best at each subject, nothing more can be expected of you.

Good luck with your GCSE's!
Siliac
Rep:
?
Today, I watched 6 English Literature revision videos about 'An Inspector Calls'. I also finished planning sheet 1 of my Resistant Materials controlled assessment. I wanted to have done more but I'm happy that I finished planning sheet 1 of my Resistant Materials controlled assessment because I didn't want to do it at all.

Spoiler:
Show

Watched 6 English Literature revision videos - 40 minutes
Finished planning sheet 1 of Resistant Materials controlled assessment - 1 hour 30 minutes

Spoiler:
Show

I would have watched less than 6 English Literature revision videos
I would have still finished planning sheet 1 of Resistant Materials controlled assessment
Siliac
Rep:
?
I have sadly not done this for 2 days :ashamed:. However, I'm doing it again now and I hope that I carry on doing it every day .

Today was my 7th day in year 11. In English, although it was An Inspector Calls last week, the lesson today was about Macbeth. In my Science lesson, I didn't pay the amount of attention that I should have to the lesson but at least it was better than last year. I've improved a lot in Maths today because, in the lesson, we did 8/9 grade questions; they were hard to do but, after that lesson, I should be better at them now . Geography was fine until the end, when I just completely ignored everything and didn't answer the questions. I will try to work harder in lessons in the future .

I've done some Maths questions about bounds for about 45 minutes. I've also watched 2 English Literature revision videos about Macbeth and 2 Physics revision videos about electricity. I should have watched more than just 4 videos but, once I started watching the 5th one, it just stopped making sense to me so I stopped. I'm pleased that, even though I haven't done that much today, I have at least done things, unlike on Monday and Tuesday :sigh:.

Spoiler:
Show

Maths questions about bounds - 45 minutes
Watched 2 English Literature revision videos - 10 minutes
Watched 2 Physics revision videos - 10 minutes

Spoiler:
Show

I would have still done Maths questions about bounds
I would have not watched 2 English Literature revision videos
I would have not watched 2 Physics revision videos
Siliac
Rep:
?
Today was my 8th day in year 11 . Soon, I will have my first Science assessment of the year so I'm going to have to revise for that :unimpressed:. My English lesson was about Macbeth again and I think that I might actually do well in English Literature :proud: (probably not in English Language though :sad:). In Maths, I corrected my mock that I did at the end of year 10 (I got 155/240, which was a 7 which wasn't as high as I want :cry: but I didn't revise for it so I should improve!). In Systems and Control, I have finished my record of key stages. I did a lot in Computer Science, which I usually do because it's my favourite subject , and it was about system security.

I have watched 3 Computer Science revision videos about system security and 2 English Literature revision videos about Macbeth. I should have done more but I'm still getting used to revising every day so I'm pleased that I did at least revise. I also should have revised Science because I have an assessment soon but I didn't want to today. Hopefully, I will tomorrow or at the weekend.

Spoiler:
Show

Watched 3 Computer Science revision videos - 20 minutes
Watched 2 English Literature revision videos - 20 minutes

Spoiler:
Show

I would have not watched 3 Computer Science revision videos
Siliac
Rep:
?
Today was my 9th day in year 11 . I had 2 Science lessons today and they were fine. However, my Science class may not end up doing triple Science. We were going to do triple Science and we even learnt a lot of triple Science things so I'm really annoyed by it :mad2:. The main reason why I am annoyed is probably because I spent hours on revision plans for Science and I would have to spend even more hours to remove all of the triple Science parts of it :rant:. I did my first Maths assessment of the year today. I got all of the grade 5-7 questions right :excited: but I don't know if I got the grade 8 questions right yet and I didn't have time to do the grade 9 questions (but I hope that I will have time when I do my actual GCSEs because I will get extra time). I'm going to have to finish planning sheet 2 of my Resistant Materials controlled assessment over the weekend :bored:. I'm also doing well in Systems and Control right now, which is good.

I was going to do Science revision for my assessment soon but I didn't . However, I did watch 2 English Literature revision videos about Macbeth and I watched 2 Physics revision videos about electricity (even though my Science assessment is not only not the topic of electricity but isn't even Physics ). I should have done more but I have the weekend to do more now! I also did the revision late and I'm exhausted right now :sleep:..

Spoiler:
Show

Watched 2 English Literature revision videos - 20 minutes
Watched 2 Physics revision videos - 10 minutes

Spoiler:
Show

I would have not watched 2 Physics revision videos
Siliac
Rep:
?
I've not done this for 2 days again :unimpressed:! I'll try to do it every day but it's very hard :argh:.

Today was my 10th day in year 11. Systems and Control, English and Science were fine . I did sheet 2 of my controlled assessment in Resistant Materials but I had so much to write and I write slowly so I had to carry on doing it during lunch and I only finished at the end of lunch :sigh:. I spent longer on it than anyone else in my class which may mean that I did better than them or just that I'm really slow . In Geography, about 10 things were put into the single lesson so it went extremely quickly, therefore, I was trying to constantly write everything as fast as possible and it became quite unreadable.

On Saturday, I just revised for my Biology test soon for about half an hour by answering questions from a book. On Sunday, I spend 3 hours planning sheet 2 for my Resistant Materials controlled assessment, which was very exhausting and I was yawning every 3 seconds from boredom while doing it :yawn:. Today, I have watched 3 Physics revision videos. Although it was not a lot, I think that it was fine for me not to do too much because I have been working so hard for my Resistant Materials controlled assessment. I'm predicted to get a D :sad: in Resistant Materials but, right now, it seems like I might get one of the best grades in my class because a lot of other people aren't even planning any of the sheets but I've been spending hours on planning them. I hope that I get a good grade in Resistant Materials to show to my teacher that I'm much better than he thinks .

What I did to improve my grades (over the past 3 days):
Spoiler:
Show

Revised Biology by testing from book - 30 minutes
Planned sheet 2 for Resistant Materials controlled assessment - 3 hours
Watched 3 Physics revision videos - 15 minutes

Spoiler:
Show

I would have still revised Biology by testing from book (my parents forced me to)
I may have spent less time planning sheet 2 for Resistant Materials controlled assessment
I would have not watched 3 Physics revision video
Siliac
Rep:
?
Today was my 11th day in year 11 . In Computer Science, I was doing programming with Python but one of the variable's strings for some reason had an extra blank line and, even though I used the strip() function, it wouldn't go away so I spent most of the lesson just trying to fix it . In English, I wrote tons of quotes in Macbeth about Macbeth, Lady Macbeth and the witches and what they meant so I was constantly writing and it was tiring :yawn:. In Resistant Materials, I started planning sheet 3 of my controlled assessment and I don't know how I'm going to do it in enough time :confused: because sheet 3 involves drawing and I'm slow at drawing because I do it complicated so that it looks good. Geography was fine.

I watched 3 Physics revision videos about electricity. Although, I didn't do much, I'm pleased that I at least did something because I did other things today .

Spoiler:
Show

Watched 3 Physics revision videos - 15 minutes

Spoiler:
Show

I wouldn't have watched 3 Physics revision videos
Siliac
Rep:
?
Today was my 12th day in year 11 . In Computer Science, for some reason, the thing that I was programming worked today . I probably made a really weird mistake or something when I tried to do it yesterday. I have finished it now. In Maths, I found out that I got all of the grade 8 questions in my assessment correct! Therefore, all of the questions that I had time to do, I got correct. I've never done this well in an assessment before . Systems and Control was fine but I didn't do too much but that was because I had already finished everything that I had to do. Geography was fine until the end, when I didn't answer any of the questions that were being asked. This was because I only like writing it if my teacher has said what the correct answer is. I do this because I don't want to fill my book up with incorrect things that will make it harder to revise :unimpressed:.

I spent 2 hours planning sheet 3 of my Resistant Materials controlled assessment. When I add the time that I spent planning it in a lesson, that is 3 hours :yawn:. I haven't even finished it and it's probably going to take 2 more hours to complete . Therefore, I have no idea how on earth I'm going to do something that takes me 5 hours to complete in 1 hour when I do the real thing :confused:. Even if I carry on doing it for the whole of lunch, I don't think that I'm going to be able to finish it. This is terrifying because it's my actual GCSE's .

Spoiler:
Show

Planned sheet 3 of Resistant Materials controlled assessment - 2 hours

Spoiler:
Show

I would still have planned sheet 3 of Resistant Materials controlled assessment
Siliac
Rep:
?
Today was my 13th day in year 11 . Geography was fine. English was fine but I've been thinking about how hard I'm going to find English Language and I'm scared that I'm going to fail English Language :cry2:. Computer Science was fine and, at the end, I did an assessment and I got 11/15. I wanted to get more questions right but I hadn't been taught everything in the assessment and I think that I got all of the things that I was taught correct. Science was fine but I'm pretty sure that I'm going to end up doing Combined Science instead of Triple Science now because my school has decided for my class to not to Triple Science even though we have been taught a lot of it :mad:. Maths was fine and I did quite a lot of questions but I didn't mark them because the people on the other side of the table had the marking thing for the entire time so I don't know if I got the questions correct .

I have finally finished planning sheet 3 of my Resistant Materials controlled assessment ! It took an hour, which means that, overall, I've spent 4 hours planning it. However, when I actually do it, I only have 1 hour to do it so I don't know how I'm going to be able to do it :confused:.

I'm also not going to be able to update this tomorrow and over the weekend because I'm not going to be at home.

Spoiler:
Show

Finished planning sheet 3 of Resistant Materials controlled assessment - 1 hour

Spoiler:
Show

GcseStudent9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Today was my 13th day in year 11 . Geography was fine. English was fine but I've been thinking about how hard I'm going to find English Language and I'm scared that I'm going to fail English Language :cry2:. Computer Science was fine and, at the end, I did an assessment and I got 11/15. I wanted to get more questions right but I hadn't been taught everything in the assessment and I think that I got all of the things that I was taught correct. Science was fine but I'm pretty sure that I'm going to end up doing Combined Science instead of Triple Science now because my school has decided for my class to not to Triple Science even though we have been taught a lot of it :mad:. Maths was fine and I did quite a lot of questions but I didn't mark them because the people on the other side of the table had the marking thing for the entire time so I don't know if I got the questions correct .

I have finally finished planning sheet 3 of my Resistant Materials controlled assessment ! It took an hour, which means that, overall, I've spent 4 hours planning it. However, when I actually do it, I only have 1 hour to do it so I don't know how I'm going to be able to do it :confused:.

I'm also not going to be able to update this tomorrow and over the weekend because I'm not going to be at home.

Spoiler:
Show

Finished planning sheet 3 of Resistant Materials controlled assessment - 1 hour

Spoiler:
Show

Hey are you interested in studying/share resources together? im also Y11
Siliac
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I haven't updated this since September. The problem is that, if I don't update it for one day, the next day I am out of the habit so I don't do it and then that happens again and again until it's just something that I don't do. This probably sounds quite weird but I suddenly just came up with a strange idea to help me to fix this: I'm going to find a song that I will force myself to listen to every day and I will make that song one that I will make myself for some reason think of this because I'll just make it into a habit. It's strange because I'm forcing myself to do one thing so that I'm influenced to do another thing when I could just force myself to do the thing that I'm influencing myself to do. However, I think that this will be easier because the thing that I'll be forcing myself to do will be easier than updating this. I'm also going to start writing this throughout the evening so that I don't just wait until I have to go to bed and don't have enough time left; every time I do something that I could put on this, I will put it on this.

Now things not to do with how terrible I am at updating this...

I'm suddenly, right now, extremely scared about my GCSEs and I think that I'm going to do terribly but I'm not revising because there is just so much to revise and it's so hard to find somewhere to start when there seems to be more than I can learn. I'm also just thinking about everyone who's better than me so I feel like I'm failing at all of it. I did the best in my maths homework (I got 100% correct) out of everyone in my class (top set) but I'm still thinking about all of those people who are better still. But then, in other subjects, I'm getting worse (sort of). In Resistant Materials, my controlled assessment was going fine at the start but I just can't do everything quickly and my last sheet was a disaster. I don't think that my teacher is giving me marks high enough as well anyway because I seem to be doing everything necessary to get full marks but he's not giving me it but he's giving it to other people who's work isn't any better than mine. I know that he has unfair favourite people but how he marks the controlled assessments is what the final marks will actually be so it just makes it all worse. In Science, I actually somehow got a 7 in my last assessment but I know that it's just one and I'm doing terribly with everything else to do with Science. There are so many Science things to learn but time is just going so quickly and I've been on holiday so I have no time (my parents thought that it would be a perfect time to go on holiday every time I'm not at school in my GCSE year of course). I'm just really annoyed about everything and making excuses but GCSEs are so hard. I can't wait to go to Sixth Form. I know that everyone says that GCSEs are easy and Sixth Form is much harder but I'm pretty sure that I'm going to find it much easier because it will be subjects that I'm actually good at and enjoy. Also, I think that the smaller amount of subjects (even though there's more things in each subject) would be helpful because the amount of subjects that I have now is just overwhelming and I feel like, when I'm revising one, the others aren't getting enough and it's just stopping me from even revising BECAUSE THERE IS JUST SO MUCH TO REVISE. I need to be calm and organise everything and make everything clear. I'll listen to music that will calm down then get everything organised in the next few days, I hope (hoping never seems to work for me though). I'm still scared because of my maths mock at the end of year 10. I got a 7 and got about the third highest marks in my year but I've found out that it's terrible compared to other schools. How am I meant to get a 9 in my GCSEs? I need a 9 in maths. Also, I need a 9 in Computer Science. I recently did a test in Computer Science and I should have done well because I revised a lot but I'm scared that it went disastrous. There are so many assessments and mocks that I haven't gotten back yet and I feel like I did terribly. I've wasted the last month. In October, I did basically no revision. September was when I was motivated and thing but it went and I've wasted so much time. How am I meant to get back? I feel like it's all pointless now because I've ruined everything and I can't get back to revision because other people started and carried on and have been revising since September continuously. How on Earth am I meant to even get all of my planning ready for my mocks? Let alone actual revision. My mocks are THIS MONTH and December but I'm not ready at all. I feel like I'm going to properly revise after Christmas because I've failed this. My mocks are going to go terribly. I just want to go to Sixth Form so that I can do the subjects that I want. No more Geography, no more Science, no more English, no more Resistant Materials and everything else other than Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and Philosophy. I'm so excited about Philosophy because I find it really interesting and I already read all about it. However, I'm scared that I'm not going to be able to do it because I haven't taken exactly the GCSEs that I would have needed to but they said that it would be fine but I need to get good English and Geography grades, which I'm scared that I won't do. I just need a break to get ready for my GCSEs. Just a week. BUT I WENT ON HOLIDAY EXACTLY WHEN I WAS GOING TO DO THIS PLANNING. Now I feel like I'm just going to give up and fail and not go to Sixth Form, not go to university, never get a job, become homeless and die. It seems better than all of this confusion of mixture and subjects and topics and everything and so much revision with no plans and no organisation. If my plans get messed up, then I just give up. I just get confused and everything becomes pointless. This has happened to me for my GCSEs. Now I'm scared and not doing anything AND I NEED TO.

So, here is my plan for tomorrow so that I can FINALLY get everything organised for the start:
1. Find a song to remind and influence me to update this (doesn't have to be related to this though, it just has to be a song that I like)
2. Do a new plan, using the specification, for Physics (because we're not doing triple Science anymore so I have to do it again)
3. Research, find information about, watch videos and revise for the topic that I'm currently doing in Science (to get back into revision again)

I've also now made a rule for myself for this year (year 11):
No matter how much your plans get disrupted, you have to find way to get around it and change the plans to make sure that you do as well as possible in your GCSEs. You can't leave it for any more than 3 days without getting everything organised again and getting back to revision. Calm down and do as well as you can. Nothing shall ruin your GCSEs.
Siliac
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm actually updating this again now! Today, Science was fine. I understood it and it wasn't that hard and I think that I'm improving. I had a Maths assessment but I don't think that I did that well . I couldn't answer all of the questions because there were weird confusing ones that were about a topic different to what the assessment was about. I'm annoyed and I think that I'm not going to have high enough marks to do the grade 8/9 assessment. I really want to do well in Maths and it is necessary for me to get at least an 8 so that I can do Further Maths at Sixth Form and I really want a 9. I've sort of forgotten what happened in English but I got my English Language paper 2 mock from the end of year 10 back finally! I got a 5 (almost 6 though) which I think is good because English is a subject that I'm not good at and I'm scared that I'll fail it but, if I can do this in year 10, in my actual GCSEs, I could get a 7, which would be amazing . I finished what I needed to do in Systems and Control and started another thing when everyone else hadn't finished it. I'm really fast when I type things but I'm really slow at writing things so, whenever I type things, I finish much before everyone else and, whenever I write things, I don't have enough time to finish. I think that we should get the choice of whether to type or write because I'd probably be doing at least twice as well as I'm doing right now if I could type in every subject (other than Maths because typing in that wouldn't be faster). In Computer Science, I did a test and got 7/9. I wish that I got higher but the ones that I got wrong were things that I hadn't really learnt.

I've watched 4 Science revision videos about electromagnetism, which is the topic that I'm currently doing at school. I've now started to revise what I'm doing at school at home so that it makes it easier at school! I also think that I've found the song that I'll use to remind me to update this. I haven't done the plan for Physics that I planned to do today yesterday but this is my first day of getting back to this so I think that I can just do it tomorrow!

Spoiler:
Show

Watched 4 Science revision videos - 30 minutes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24.06%
No (322)
75.94%

Watched Threads